Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Robert Morris at UNLV

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

This game could prove much bigger than just one game.  The team has been struggling mightily with Elijah out. The margins were that thin.  Coleman always played hard but knew his role was just to not turn it over.  Today he learned he could contribute much more than that and for UNLV to win more basketball games the bench was going to have to start thinking and behaving like starters.

And my man Jay Green.  He did so many little things...rebounds, put-backs, deflections, steals, some sweet dimes.  He was the glue guy today and he wad damn good at it.

One more thing...F the streak. Fans start goading the players to chuck it up when we're trying to win a game.  I get it, it's a little fun, but it's still dumb to prioritize it over winning basketball, and for this game winning basketball was getting the ball in the paint.  We have 4 final fours and a natty.  We don't need no stinking fun fact stat.

Although I am tired of worrying about the streak, and would be fine if it went away, it is a thirty. three. year old streak. That is a long dang time, and to lose it during a meaningless game like this one would be kind of a shame. If it were a game that actually meant something, I'd be all for getting the win without the streak.  Besides, I think Dook is lurking not far behind (after someone else, I don't remember who) and I don't want them to get it, lol. They will probably overtake it at some point anyway, since they actually play in the post season, when they don't go out in the first or second round. :P

When I saw the starting line up today, I couldn't help but gain just a bit more respect for TJ, there were so many times I was so frustrated with CDR that he wouldn't bench Chris Wood, even for a half. Even if he had lost a game, he probably would have won a lot more of the others, just by trying to light a fire under Wood. That actually set Wood back a few years, because he never developed the work ethic that he was going to need to get to the league, but now, 5 years later, Wood is doing well in the NBA. So good on TJ for trying to send a message, I did see more diving for loose balls today, and a little more intensity overall. I was so ticked the other night, there were a couple of times they barely made it over the half court line without getting a 10 second call because they were walking it up the court. Being not good is one thing, but playing like you just don't care is another.

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

When I saw the starting line up today, I couldn't help but gain just a bit more respect for TJ, there were so many times I was so frustrated with CDR that he wouldn't bench Chris Wood, even for a half. Even if he had lost a game, he probably would have won a lot more of the others, just by trying to light a fire under Wood. That actually set Wood back a few years, because he never developed the work ethic that he was going to need to get to the league, but now, 5 years later, Wood is doing well in the NBA. So good on TJ for trying to send a message, I did see more diving for loose balls today, and a little more intensity overall. I was so ticked the other night, there were a couple of times they barely made it over the half court line without getting a 10 second call because they were walking it up the court. Being not good is one thing, but playing like you just don't care is another.

The effort was night and day.  They will surprise some people in conference play with the kind of effort they played with Saturday.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, toonkee said:

This game could prove much bigger than just one game.  The team has been struggling mightily with Elijah out. The margins were that thin.  Coleman always played hard but knew his role was just to not turn it over.  Today he learned he could contribute much more than that and for UNLV to win more basketball games the bench was going to have to start thinking and behaving like starters.

And my man Jay Green.  He did so many little things...rebounds, put-backs, deflections, steals, some sweet dimes.  He was the glue guy today and he wad damn good at it.

One more thing...F the streak. Fans start goading the players to chuck it up when we're trying to win a game.  I get it, it's a little fun, but it's still dumb to prioritize it over winning basketball, and for this game winning basketball was getting the ball in the paint.  We have 4 final fours and a natty.  We don't need no stinking fun fact stat.

I guarantee the athletic department and people with in the program definitely care about the streak. Even down to program donors(not the boosters).

39 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

I guarantee the athletic department and people with in the program definitely care about the streak. Even down to program donors(not the boosters).

Unfortunately, that's probably true.

On 12/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, Jersey Rebels said:

Congrats.

Also interesting topic of conversation, how many of us are actually alumni? Class of 2009 for me. 

My ex-wife graduated in 1990. 

I worked dealing craps till 2/3 am ,then threw the Review Journal out my car window till 6am for the 3 years it took her to graduate.

She left me 4 months after graduating... :cheers:  

THE TURNING POINT: UNLV took control with a 16-4 run over a five-minute span in the second half, turning a two-point lead into 14 with 12:28 to play (58-44).

LINEUP SHUFFLE: UNLV's starters were senior forward Nick Blair, Shibel, Diong, sophomore guard Jay Green and Coleman. Freshman guard Trey Hurlburt was the first off the bench.

QUOTABLE: "Really proud of our guys' effort that they displayed today. I thought Marvin Coleman displayed the heart of a champion and winner. Love to see the effort of guys like Jay Green who haven't had an opportunity. The passion he plays with, how thankful and grateful he is to be a member of this program. Those guys set a great example today. To me, being the leader of this program, it is very humbling and I have a tremendous sense of gratitude and pride. I have studied it for a number of years, feel very fortunate to have this opportunity and I am going to make sure every day that everything that we do reflects that. So I am really proud of some individuals today who embody what it is to be a Rebel. It is my job to continue to develop that culture, have that accountability and set that standard." - UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger.

NOTES: 
- Shibel, Diong and Coleman shot a combined 19 of 25 (.760) from the floor.
- UNLV outrebounded the Colonials 36-19 and grabbed 17 offensive boards.
- UNLV shot 55.4 percent for the game (31 of 56), including 63 percent in the second half (17 of 27).
- There were 16 lead changes and seven ties throughout the game, but UNLV led for 30:10.
- UNLV outscored RMU 50-18 in points in the paint and 22-3 in second-chance points.
- UNLV outscored RMU 47-34 in the second half after trailing by one at the break.
- UNLV recorded just two turnovers in the second half, finishing the game with 11.
- Robert Morris made 11 3-pointers to UNLV's 3.
- UNLV was without senior guard Elijah Mitrou-Long for the fourth straight game because of a broken thumb.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,083 straight games.