Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Get New TV Rights Deals

And all Dodd is reporting is:

Could be ESPN making a late push.  Could be Fox backing out.  I don’t have any sources on this so I’m just guessing.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This isn't good man. Someone said ESPN could still be in play. But right now I can't tell what's real or speculation anymore.

Teenage girls should be in bed by now.  Worry tomorrow about this crazy stuff.  Nite

2 hours ago, SBBulldog85 said:

Soup, my point is this.  That side deal with ESPN that Thompson entered into with Boise is not going to keep Boise in the MWC if they want to leave.  So if it wont keep them (Broncos) from leaving what purpose does it serve from a conference perspective?  There is an incentive for Boise to remain but no penalty if they want to leave, like for instance if they decide to leave the MWC then have them reimburse the conference for the extra TV revenue they have received, etc..

The original thought was providing Boise the extra dollars would be recouped by Access Bowl money.  Unfortunately, Boise has not been able to deliver the Access Bowl except on one occasion. 

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

What BYU seemingly gained by going Indie in football, they gave up three times as much by moving their Olys to the WCC.

I think Boise and SDSU recognized that when they backed away from the Big Least.

I don’t know about that.  BYUs Oly sports are actually thriving in the WCC. They are nationally ranked in a number of Oly sports. Also, if you’ve checked the conference rankings the last few years WCC basketball has been on a par and are actually rated higher than MWC basketball this year. 

The reason I mentioned BSU Oly sports to the WCC is because SDSU and BSU Oly sports were going to be relegated to the California bus league (Big West) if both schools joined the Big East. That would have killed Boise State basketball. I can’t believe SDSU would have been very happy relegating their highly successful basketball program to the Big West either. 

41 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Would the Big West take Boise back, by themselves?  Yes.  And the WAC would do so as well. 

As to your second question: no.  Besides the UCSD factor, the Aztecs' increased payday also reduces their incentive for leaving the Mountain West. 

I’m curious why you say that.  Boise would significantly add travel costs and doesn’t really play any of the sports the Big West is good at or might want to sponsor as a conference.   

For example, the big west has UCSB, Long Beach State, UC Davis, UCI and UCSD sponsoring men’s Water Polo.  If Boise added a 6th they might be valuable but they don’t.  Nor do they have men’s Volleyball.  

I don’t get all the vitriol for CBS sports unless it’s not a part of your TV package. When I watch games on TV it’s to watch the game, not listen to the announcers who are all blowhards on most channels. My picture and camera coverage of the game have been fine. So what’s the problem? 

41 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'm going on a 3 day hiking trip from Hart Mountain to Sheldon Antelope Refuge tomorrow. Kind of wanted to know before my trip. :waiting:

I hear ya.  B safe.  Regardless Boise is going to be fine.  The rest of the MW.  We will see. 

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Conferences are looking for ways to make more $$$.

I highly doubt Boise brings more value, eyeballs or revenue to the Pac, XII, or AAC. Its a very small tv market.

Boise is ranked as the # 106 tv market with 270,000 tv homes.San Diego is ranked as the #28 market with just under a million tv homes.

Who do you think is getting the invite ?

Being in a bigger TV market isn't enough to make SDSU attractive. Not unless SDSU actually takes advantage of that market. SDSU doesn't sell as many tickets.

49 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I’m curious why you say that.  Boise would significantly add travel costs and doesn’t really play any of the sports the Big West is good at or might want to sponsor as a conference.   

For example, the big west has UCSB, Long Beach State, UC Davis, UCI and UCSD sponsoring men’s Water Polo.  If Boise added a 6th they might be valuable but they don’t.  Nor do they have men’s Volleyball.  

It's a moot point because Boise has a sweet deal here.  But if they ever wanted out, they will have no issue finding a different home.  Their hoops are decent enough to at least add depth.

I figure Boise would be willing to offer travel subsidies again, albeit at a much reduced rate. 

As for other sports mix, they have volleyball - Boise was division champs in I think '97 - and will revive baseball in 2020.  

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t get all the vitriol for CBS sports unless it’s not a part of your TV package. When I watch games on TV it’s to watch the game, not listen to the announcers who are all blowhards on most channels. My picture and camera coverage of the game have been fine. So what’s the problem? 

The complaints I've seen here - valid ones, I might add - are that on occasion the previous tv game runs longer than expected or goes into OT and CBS Sports sticks with that one rather than go right to the scheduled MW game.  Whereas ESPN can shuffle their contests to ESPN2/U/News, CBS Sports does not have that option.  So you could miss a bit of the action.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Del Mar, Oceanside, Imperial Beach.  That's just within San Diego County.

La Jolla, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Ocean Beach.

The list just goes on and on.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Quite a few of the better teams/games are on that channel a lot.  Only a MW fan would tune in to watch it.  Most people don't even know that channel exists.  The picture quality isn't as good.  Their streaming options suck, although maybe getting better.  The overlap in games ending/starting.  More expensive to get that channel on most packages.  

9 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

They must have just changed that recently to where you can stream games.  I still think the MW should have taken less to gotten off that channel.  

So the MW's best games besides Boise home games and Hawaii home games will still be invisible on an obscure channel correct?  I'm assuming CBS Sports gets 1st choice of games since they pay more money?  

Do 3rd tier games still go to the MWCDN?  Root?  Back to schools?  I doubt CBS and Fox take all the inventory

I thought I read that if the new contract was higher than 2.3 million the entire Hawaii contract would switch over to the MWC TV contract. Is this true or not? Also does it actually say in the contract that there will be NO production costs for us or is this just something we assumed?

In any case it may be lower than the AAC but none of us really assumed we would get 7 million. I hate to say it but I must give credit where it is due, congrats to Hair. He did better than I thought he would.

I am disappointed the contract does not include ESPN plus. I really like that choice and it only costs $4.99 per month so it is cheap and good. None the less it is clearly an improvement over our current status.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

There isn’t any. 

kat.jpg