bsu_alum9

Mountain West Get New TV Rights Deals

I'd say Thompson did a darn good job on this one.  Got more money than I was thinking the MW would get (I figured 2.5-3 million a team) and got a very significant jump in exposure.  Only 3 CBS-OTA games are guaranteed---but I suspect the SEC exit from CBS will be a factor that helps the MW get more than the minimum each year.   If the conference can get a couple more OTA appearances from FOX, the MW could end up regularly getting around 6 FOX/CBS OTA appearances per year.  Thats huge.   

• Like 5

Coloradan Article

“The six-year term was the maximum length the MW was willing to agree to, Thompson said.

"We feel the next five years are going to bring change in the market, perhaps significantly, from both a technology and distribution perspective," he said. "In addition, a significant number of major rights deals will expire during this period of time, especially in the collegiate rights market.

"It was more important to us that once the dust settles from this period of change, we have all our inventory available to take advantage of any of those changes in the marketplace."“

Well the AAC will only be halfway when a lot of deals expire.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Coloradan Article

“The six-year term was the maximum length the MW was willing to agree to, Thompson said.

"We feel the next five years are going to bring change in the market, perhaps significantly, from both a technology and distribution perspective," he said. "In addition, a significant number of major rights deals will expire during this period of time, especially in the collegiate rights market.

"It was more important to us that once the dust settles from this period of change, we have all our inventory available to take advantage of any of those changes in the marketplace."“

Well the AAC will only be halfway when a lot of deals expire.

The AAC sure looks to have gotten punked, now.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Replay....

im confused by your response..every game that is aired on espn/rebroadcast is stored online to be re-accessed later..they dont heve separate replay and live broadcast rights

here is a tweet from vcu basketball from 3 days ago..MASN was having technical difficulties in their airing of the vcu game. the picture was gltiching..vcu's twitter tells fan to watch the game on espn+ till the technical difficulties are fixed..becuase the game is dual broadcast

whatever notion you have that espn+ doesn't rebroadcast or sub-license to local channels is misinformed 

• Idiot 1

The 12 year AAC ESPN+ plus deal looks like a disaster now.   

Way too long and streaming focused.

UConn already bailed.   AAC now courting CUSA schools for a replacement.   Maybe Southern Miss or Georgia State?  Liberty?

Have to wonder if Houston and SMU are looking at this new MWC TV deal or if they truly want to be locked in to 12 years of ESPN+ in a depleted AAC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pesik said:

im confused by your response..every game that is aired on espn/rebroadcast is stored online to be re-accessed later..they dont heve separate replay and live broadcast rights

here is a tweet from vcu basketball from 3 days ago..MASN was having technical difficulties in their airing of the vcu game. the picture was gltiching..vcu's twitter tells fan to watch the game on espn+ till the technical difficulties are fixed..becuase the game is dual broadcast

whatever notion you have that espn+ doesn't rebroadcast or sub-license to local channels is misinformed 

Its you that are misinformed.  The Atlantic 10 deal is specifically a streaming only deal, not a deal for media rights.  Its linear tv deal is separate.  So the A10 retained its rights.   Eventually, thats probably going to change.  The AAC is a full media rights deal.  They retained nothing.  Thats why they are being required to upgrade production facilities.  ESPN+ is being viewed as an equal to their linear sistet channels.  ESPN owns the AAC media rights, so there will be no dual broadcasts. 

And im not sure what you are confused by.  One word is pretty straightforward.

• Like 2

I am also going to put this out there, ESPN marketing efforts for the MWC makes a sloth look like a highly caffeinated squirrel.  They did diddly-squat.  I am thinking and hoping that Fox and CBS (especially for the OTA games) don't repeat that mistake.  A little bit of marketing can go a long way and I think if you do a cost vs rating there is a path to greater profit for the costs.

• Like 4

This is a great deal for the MW. About is good as anyone could have hoped. The exposure is beyond what I could have imagined, and separating ourselves from ESPN yet again, is exactly what I had hoped. The SEC leaving CBS really allows the stars to alone here. There will certainly be a raise in six years as well.

Watching @pesik get hot and bothered is odd. It’s also amusing as he seems to struggle with reading comprehension.

This is a good deal for the MW. The AAC’s deal was good for the AAC.

• Like 4

So Spectrum pays Hawaii $2.5 million a year. Hopefully Hawaii will get a raise to $3.5 million a year so we all get even more cash. :cheer:

30 minutes ago, RSF said:

Its you that are misinformed.  The Atlantic 10 deal is specifically a streaming only deal, not a deal for media rights.  Its linear tv deal is separate.  So the A10 retained its rights.   Eventually, thats probably going to change.  The AAC is a full media rights deal.  They retained nothing.  Thats why they are being required to upgrade production facilities.  ESPN+ is being viewed as an equal to their linear sistet channels.  ESPN owns the AAC media rights, so there will be no dual broadcasts. 

And im not sure what you are confused by.  One word is pretty straightforward.

this makes zero sense...you are are just making things up as you go along...this is why this place is so full of misinformation..instead of just saying you werent aware espn+ repackages and sublicenses game, you make up a BS theory

espn president is on record that they would be willing to sub-license aac games if a network appraoched them...on record (referring to sny and cbssports)

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/03/transcript-espn-and-american-athletic-conference-media-rights-call/

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

This is a great deal for the MW. About is good as anyone could have hoped. The exposure is beyond what I could have imagined, and separating ourselves from ESPN yet again, is exactly what I had hoped. The SEC leaving CBS really allows the stars to alone here. There will certainly be a raise in six years as well.

Watching @pesik get hot and bothered is odd. It’s also amusing as he seems to struggle with reading comprehension.

my guy fanhood..ps the sec deal with cbs doesnt end till this current deal is basically over in 4 years ..also im not hot and bothered lol 

also the exposure is the one thing i hate about this deal if you arent boise...there are 10 games guaranteed on fs1, fox and cbs...6 are contractually obligated to boise (fox/fs1)..the remaining 4 atleast 2 will also go to boise ..the cbs football games will target boise in away games...the next best 50 games are on cbssn or fs2...the 10 after that are on cbs all access (a digital paywall thing) and the remaining 20 left are unknown...

also your prediction on our deal from years ago were very wrong 

Just now, pesik said:

my guy fanhood..ps the sec deal with cbs doesnt end till this current deal is basically over in 4 years ..also im not hot and bothered lol 

also the exposure is the one thing i hate about this deal if you arent boise...there are 10 games guaranteed on fs1, fox and cbs...6 are contractually obligated to boise (fox/fs1)..the remaining 4 atleast 2 will also go to boise ..the cbs football games will target boise in away games...the next best 50 games are on cbssn or fs2...the 10 after that are on cbs all access (a digital paywall thing) and the reaming 20 left are unknown...

also your prediction on our deal from years ago were very wrong 

My prediction on the MW was $2m to $3m. Pretty close. Pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

I don't know about great, but the MW didn't really have a lot of leverage.  I wish it was FS1/Fox and ESPN instead of CBSSN.  I wish CBS would invest more money into that Network and make it more of a household name.  

It sounds like the MWC will have way better exposure than the AAC and their deal is back end loaded so we will be making about the same amount of money through six years considering we won’t have production costs. Plus we retain Tier 3 rights to generate more money. Also, the MWC will be able to renegotiate in six years.

I like that games will start no later than 7:45 or 8:00 pm depending on the network. And all games will be on Friday or Saturday. Not bad, things could have been a lot worse. 

I wont miss ESPN whose announcers talked more about the upcoming or ongoing P5 games during the G5 game they were actually broadcasting live. 

• Like 1

Awkward as it feels, gotta give credit where credit is due. The Hair checked all the boxes:

- Better money (significantly so)

-National OTA and cable partners with better production value and prospects than ESPN

-Separation from a shrinking cable network

-Improved broadcast windows and days

-Retention of tier 3 rights

-Short contract- this is huge. The media model for sports and entertainment delivery is still in flux. A short contract keeps us relatively nimble vis a vis paradigm fluidity.

Between the prospects of Fox and CBS vs. ESPN (higher value, long term), the jump in revenue to the schools (with tier 3 TBD), and the contract length, he check-mated the AAC which put him in the position to sunset Boise State's specialness in six years. Barring a new conference (improbable in extremiis), no one is going anywhere with the MWC having the best media deal and negotiating position of the G5 for the next decade. Loss of a member school to program shutdown is more likely at this point than loss of one to another conference.

• Like 3

I'm still trying to figure out why some BSU fans are crying on Twitter about our new deal with Fox Sports? I'm actually pretty excited about it. Fox Sports has a better picture on TV ( some games broadcast in 4K). Their analysts and commentators are equal or better than what ESPN has. Their pregame and half time shows are very good. Plus everyone is getting extra money. I think the ESPN thing has been overblown. Maybe at first it really help Boise State out, helping them build a brand. But you could argue in the last 5 years, ESPN hasn't done much if anything to help.  

• Like 3

Espn crews never even talk about the game they are calling. All they talk about is the SEC or The Big Ten. I'm glad they went with Fox.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The AAC sure looks to have gotten punked, now.

Eh, given the all flash-no substance product AAC teams put on the field I think they are still being grossly overcompensated. 

They should hang on to that deal for dear life and pray Vader doesn't come in and alter the deal further. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

I'm still trying to figure out why some BSU fans are crying on Twitter about our new deal with Fox Sports? I'm actually pretty excited about it. Fox Sports has a better picture on TV ( some games broadcast in 4K). Their analysts and commentators are equal or better than what ESPN has. Their pregame and half time shows are very good. Plus everyone is getting extra money. I think the ESPN thing has been overblown. Maybe at first it really help Boise State out, helping them build a brand.

But you could argue in the last 5 years, ESPN hasn't done much if anything to help.  

"Our" deal?   Stop the charade!

You know damn well that BYU is still an ESPN school.   You better not drop ESPN!!!

We won you fair and square.   Confirmed by @BSUTOP25

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1