Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Get New TV Rights Deals

9 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The AAC was supposed to have a small package of basketball games with CBS. What happened with that?

the terms were never released as far as I know.

**edit** I figure those games will end up on CBS All-Access when all is said and done.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Aresco said he wanted everything under one network according to that other board. But that is cash the AAC would be leaving on the table. Basketball isn't worth much. 20% of the MWC apparently bit still. 

Hawaii will find out in July if they get a bump in pay. I am thinking they will which means the other teams will get a slight bump as well. It won't be much. $100,000 a piece at best. But we have a lot of inventory just sitting around. NFL Network wants football games from us and I have a feeling the rest will be sold on the cheap to ESPN+ just for more exposure. It isn't a stretch to say Boise will be at a little less than $6 million and the others a little above $4 million after the rest of the inventory is sold and Hawaii's deal is done. I am sure is some teams like SDSU and UNLV could do their 3rd tier on their own they could get more, but it looks like it's being sold as a package.

One thing is certain now. The AAC and MWC has really separate themselves from the MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA. C-USA makes $200,000 a year. The AAC needs to go and save someone but I don't think they are interested and plan on staying at 11.

UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee is more important than whatever pittance we get from CBS/CBSSN for a tiny package of hoops games.

I still like the idea of offering Liberty a 'pay to play' kind of deal where Liberty pays says 1.75 million per year to the AAC for a full revenue share and access to our bowl pool. Have it on a rotating 2 year deal so if either side wants out they can just walk away and have 24 months to put a schedule/new member together.

it would be a short term solution that solves our waiver issue and ESPNs inventory issue.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

37 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee is more important than whatever pittance we get from CBS/CBSSN for a tiny package of hoops games.

I still like the idea of offering Liberty a 'pay to play' kind of deal where Liberty pays says 1.75 million per year to the AAC for a full revenue share and access to our bowl pool. Have it on a rotating 2 year deal so if either side wants out they can just walk away and have 24 months to put a schedule/new member together.

it would be a short term solution that solves our waiver issue and ESPNs inventory issue.

+++++ Liberty.  You guys should do nothing of the sort.  Don't take money to deal with such a shady "university."

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

+++++ Liberty.  You guys should do nothing of the sort.  Don't take money to deal with such a shady "university."

If you are talking about religion, are they any different than BYU, or several others out there? Besides, what’s so shady about it? 

8 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I agree with that but I'll take their money...then toss em aside when their usefulness expires. (it would help them grow too, esp if they could get say 4 years out of it)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If you are talking about religion, are they any different than BYU, or several others out there? Besides, what’s so shady about it? 

They are basically a for profit diploma mill functioning as a not for profit university.

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

that's why it's 'pay to play' on a 24 month rotation. Get the money up front and the AAC can just walk away if/when things go south for Liberty.

again, just a temporary solution that generates money for the conference. (plus, their football, basketball, and market are decent)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

that's why it's 'pay to play' on a 24 month rotation. Get the money up front and the AAC can just walk away if/when things go south for Liberty.

again, just a temporary solution that generates money for the conference. (plus, their football, basketball, and market are decent)

Don't sell your soul for money.  Find a long term fit that can grow with your conference.  

On 1/9/2020 at 10:32 PM, Wyobraska said:

I don't know about great, but the MW didn't really have a lot of leverage.  I wish it was FS1/Fox and ESPN instead of CBSSN.  I wish CBS would invest more money into that Network and make it more of a household name.  

Now that the MW is CBS' product, the MW will grow and grow. It will outpace the Pac and B12 in popularity here in the west. Especially with the 1pm kickoffs !

:lol:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Don't sell your soul for money.  Find a long term fit that can grow with your conference.  

I want to but they could help us short term until we do. I mean, Memphis wants to be with the Big 12 leftovers and Baylor is batshit crazy too. I've known two people who went to Baylor and oh my the stories...then athletic scandals involving murder, drugs, sexual assault, and cover-ups.

If I'm Okay with Memphis being in a conference with Baylor and BYU then I can't deny that a 'pay for play' set-up with Liberty could be symbiotic for both sides and should be explored (with ESPNs blessing of course) 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Craig Thompson - "This is the last contract in which we will negotiate Boise State separately."

Have seen the above quote on several sites but don't see explanation of exact meaning. Does this indicate all schools will receive same money and terms on future contracts? Does it simply indicate negotiations will all be held at the same time? What is the meaning of this Hair- ism?

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Exactly.  Even the Sunbelt rejected the Liberty attempt to "buy" their way into that conference.  Looking at the worthless all sports replacement options available east of the Rockies, its likely the AAC will be an 11 team conference for quite some time.   The only smart move that adds some value to the conference right now is adding VCU as a "non-football" member.  That would add some quality basketball inventory to help offset the lost UConn basketball inventory.  For football, there are no schools that offer the kind of brand, academics, attendance, athletic budget, and performance that make much sense to add at this time.  There are a few options that are comparable to the bottom performers in the league---but the reality is---conferences dont get better by adding teams that look like the bottom of the conference.      Probably best to stand pat on the football side for now.  

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How 'bout this? I've been around hundreds of attorneys in my career and many of them were dumber than dirt. So dumb that I've honestly thought at least some of them must have paid a proxy to attend law school for them. Maybe also somehow had somebody take the bar exam for them. More likely is they didn't go to a legit law school but a diploma mill but then took a bunch of bar review courses and were good at test taking strategy. I attended a night law school for a year and then took and passed California's so-called baby bar and the grading on the three essay questions was a total joke. I aced the criminal law question and got something like a 72 score on that and floundered around on the contracts question and got like an 85 so the scoring isn't exact by any means.

Well, a whopping 86% of the students at Liberty University are "distance learners." How in the world can a university control cheating when so many students never attend a conventional class? I'm sure BYU has some online classes because these days most schools allow students to take some such classes but 86%? What a farce that is. https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/liberty-university/

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

Craig Thompson - "This is the last contract in which we will negotiate Boise State separately."

Have seen the above quote on several sites but don't see explanation of exact meaning. Does this indicate all schools will receive same money and terms on future contracts? Does it simply indicate negotiations will all be held at the same time? What is the meaning of this Hair- ism?

I've seen the same thing repeated.  It's actually a misquote of his more equivocal statement "It arguably could be the last contract we will negotiate Boise State separately."    https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/boise-state-football/how-the-new-mountain-west-tv-deal-affects-boise-state-and-possible-conference-realignment/277-8dec7ab9-feff-4a87-bee5-214dac93b8ee

Boise State had a deal in principle with ESPN before seeking to rejoin the MW so it was reasonable at that time to honor.  The upcoming agreement is the first negotiations the MW held with Boise State from beginning to end and it's possible the separation of Boise from everyone else caused ESPN to exit negotiations soon after Fox outbid ESPN for Boise home games.  Thompson's quote would make sense if Boise feels they could have got more out of Disney by not selling their package separately.

If Boise State isn't separate, Fox, CBS and ESPN have to bid directly against each other to become the primary rights holder if they want to broadcast Boise State home games and that causes the rest of the conference's games to be valued at the same price as Boise State home games rather than at a lower price relative to BSU home games.

The conference would need to change the bylaws relating to Boise State through a separate, internal process.  The conference already amended the provisions for Boise State to limit them to $1.8 million from the initial agreement which was even more advantageous.  I presume this is because the relation between the schools becomes more multifaceted over time so Boise State is agreeable as they see value in being treated equally by the other institutions in the Mountain West overall.

honestly, Liberty would be a no-go because Univ Presidents vote for conference member additions and they (the univ presidents) seem to hate Liberty's administration members just as much as the do Liberty as an institution.

11 is the best option for the next 2 years but then 'somethings gotta give' as our waiver will expire and ESPN will want a 12th member for inventory.

it's fun thinking of different possibilities on a cold rainy day but the only addition I'm 110% behind is AF as a football only. Based on their HC's comments it's something that should be explored.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

honestly, Liberty would be a no-go because Univ Presidents vote for conference member additions and they (the univ presidents) seem to hate Liberty's administration members just as much as the do Liberty as an institution.

11 is the best option for the next 2 years but then 'somethings gotta give' as our waiver will expire and ESPN will want a 12th member for inventory.

it's fun thinking of different possibilities on a cold rainy day but the only addition I'm 110% behind is AF as a football only. Based on their HC's comments it's something that should be explored.

Any FBS conference which would accept Liberty as a member should be expelled from the NCAA.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Yep. Funny isn't it? Between Boise having a seperate deal and the Mountain schools desire to have less night games, we probably cost ourself more money. I'm sure some of the schools lack of being competitive had a bit to do with it but for the most part, it was our own ignorance.

I don't think that half an hour really makes a difference unless you care about watching the opening kickoff.  I don't agree that the concerns about start times really affected the price because overall this is a tripling in value for basically the same agreement.

If the Pac 12 focuses on over the air media rights for football in our next agreement because  we can offer four different packages for each of the major networks then the Mountain West would be more important to ESPN overall because ESPN needs Window 4 content and won't have a lot of Pac 12 games, especially on Friday night.  

If ESPN is motivated and Fox is willing to compete, the Mountain West could see a similar doubling to tripling in value in 2026.  Fox is particularly interested in having people who watch Fox News and Fox Business watch Fox Sports and the Mountain West media geography probably has relatively more viewers who watch Fox's other networks than in the markets where the Pac 12 is the local university so Fox would likely want to resist Disney swooping up the Mountain West to replace the Pac 12 on ESPN. Two motivated bidders is a good way to drive up the price of a relatively unique product, especially when those bidders have the deepest pockets

6 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

did the SEC bailing on CBS help us out? or no effect?

On a separate note, I saw that the BSU/FSU game is likely to be at 10 AM on the Blue for national OTA showing at noon :(. Im probably the only person in Boise who prefers night games.

Do you attend these games or watch on tv?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 1/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, Wyobraska said:

You realize that Liberty has had tremendous growth over the past decade? If they were a stock, they would be trending up.

If I were you, I would not let your politics, or beliefs get in the way of rationality.