Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Get New TV Rights Deals

If the MWC's new broadcast deal has in fact been held up for months by Boise State, that's further evidence of what a turd this conference is.

And don't get me wrong. Unlike others, I don't begrudge Boise for doing what's best for Boise. My poimt is merely that the Mountain West is a house of cards with the heaviest weights Boise and to a somewhat lesser extent SDSU at the top. If they decide to leave again, just where will the conference be?

And if on July 1, 2025 the MWC still looks like it does today, I'll be amazed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

If the MWC's new broadcast deal has in fact been held up for months by Boise State, that's further evidence of what a turd this conference is.

And don't get me wrong. Unlike others, I don't begrudge Boise for doing what's best for Boise. My poimt is merely that the Mountain West is a house of cards with the heaviest weights Boise and to a somewhat lesser extent SDSU at the top. If they decide to leave again, just where will the conference be?

And if on July 1, 2025 the MWC still looks like it does today, I'll be amazed.

Isn't that the majority of the conferences though?  What is Pac without USC and UCLA or Oregon?  What is the B1G without OSU and Michigan?  ACC without Clemson and FSU, SEC without Bama and Florida, Big 12 without OU and UT?  

I still don't know where any MW teams go in 2025 due to geography

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Isn't that the majority of the conferences though?  What is Pac without USC and UCLA or Oregon?  What is the B1G without OSU and Michigan?  ACC without Clemson and FSU, SEC without Bama and Florida, Big 12 without OU and UT?  

I still don't know where any MW teams go in 2025 due to geography

Although you're correct, what difference does that make for power conferences? Other than the B12, none are in even slight danger of falling apart.

I've discussed SDSU's possible options a number of times and so will simply reply to your last comment by saying that this week's concern about the football coach position again brought out numerous expressions of dissatisfaction with being a member of the MWC. Building that stadium is a huge endeavor so until that's finished, SDSU will just have to content itself with being where it is. However, once the stadium is finished, unless changes are made to improve the MWC such as adding Gonzaga and dumping SJSU or at least allowing the Aztecs to control their own tier 3 rights, I don't see SDSU staying here.

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Although you're correct, what difference does that make for power conferences? Other than the B12, none are in even slight danger of falling apart.

I've discussed SDSU's possible options a number of times and so will simply reply to your last comment by saying that this week's concern about the football coach position again brought out numerous expressions of dissatisfaction with being a member of the MWC. Building that stadium is a huge endeavor so until that's finished, SDSU will just have to content itself with being where it is. However, once the stadium is finished, unless changes are made to improve the MWC such as adding Gonzaga and dumping SJSU or at least allowing the Aztecs to control their own tier 3 rights, I don't see SDSU staying here.

Those home and aways with New Mexico State each season are going to fill the new stadium.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

That's no way to talk about your own mother.

And I can tell you for a fact that there are three major networks involved in the negotiations. The leak was mostly accurate. And imo the 7 year deal I have been hinted at makes a lot more sense than an 11 year deal just short of $7 million let school. And no, ESPN will not let you keep UConn's cut.

The $3.5 million for the 10 MWC schools other the Hawaii and BSU was correct. And it was for 7 years. I leaked the shit a week before it happened. The hold up is BSU who are negotiating with two networks. Don't know what is happening is Hawaii and I don't care.

And I don't care if you believe me. I will say the third tier rights I heard about could be something to do with Hawaii. That is the ONLY thing I could be wrong about. The MWC may not keep them as a whole but I still think I am right on that too.

Three million and seven million. It's all peanuts in the end. At least our schools showed some backbone in out negotiations.

Maybe you should wait til ECU is no longer one of the worst basketball and football teams in the country and isn't living off of UCF and Memphis before you comment again.

I agree probably most of the deal details are likely in place and that they are probably working mostly on the technicalities (Hawaii/Boise stuff) before its official.

I find it interesting of a coincidence that both MW & Spectrum contract (the Hawaii Tier 3 rights provider) end/begin this coming summer. Hawaii chose the Option B (no conference tv revenue, keep all Spectrum tier 3 revenue) after joining the conference. But Option A was pretty much the same as all other MW members (receive conference tv revenue, share the split of tier 3 revenue) and the MW officials at first weren't even offering an Option B and it required the Hawaii admin to negotiate with them for a few months to offer it. Option B was only chosen because the MW during the time didn't let schools keep their Tier 3 revenue and required it to be evenly distributed. Which wasn't something the school was willing to do. If Hawaii can now take part of keeping tier 3 revenue and participate in the tv contract revenue under the new deal that would end up being the better option for them and a return of the "double dipping" of revenue sources. But this time all schools would have free reign for that same option. Some schools taking better advantage of it than others.

SGF, about those options. Is the AACk likely to venture west of the Rio Grande again and add SDSU and/or Boise as full members?  No way a fb-only or fb+men's hoops only arrangement would be accepted by SDSU this time around.  I see it as all or nothing.  

I do concede a B12 implosion creating an opportunity for that hypothetical best of the rest league is more plausible. 

SJSU isn't being given the boot because presidents don't have the intestinal fortitude to expel a full member.  Nor is Gonzaga leaving their kingdom for what has regressed to a 1-2 bid league.  

Beyond that, there's the WAC with a private for-profit Grand Canyon (who I like, as you well know), Utah Valley, NMSU and a few D2 callups.  The WCC is fine but do you really want the Aztecs to reunite with Brigham Young AND share a conference with that pretty school up the hill, USD?

There are options.  They're just not easy for the average Joe to stomach.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

About time.

I have the dial in information so I’m going to listen in.  If I remember to. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

56 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

SGF, about those options. Is the AACk likely to venture west of the Rio Grande again and add SDSU and/or Boise as full members?  No way a fb-only or fb+men's hoops only arrangement would be accepted by SDSU this time around.  I see it as all or nothing.  

I do concede a B12 implosion creating an opportunity for that hypothetical best of the rest league is more plausible. 

SJSU isn't being given the boot because presidents don't have the intestinal fortitude to expel a full member.  Nor is Gonzaga leaving their kingdom for what has regressed to a 1-2 bid league.  

Beyond that, there's the WAC with a private for-profit Grand Canyon (who I like, as you well know), Utah Valley, NMSU and a few D2 callups.  The WCC is fine but do you really want the Aztecs to reunite with Brigham Young AND share a conference with that pretty school up the hill, USD?

Isn’t Grand Canyon a non-profit now?

59 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

At this point in time my thinking is the B12 (sic) will lose 3-4 of its main parts not necessarily including UT and then backfill to at least get back to 12 members. The AAC honks think their Pea6 would provide all of the new members. If they should turn out to be correct, that conference would be dog meat since there wouldn't be a single school to add which averages even 25K in football attendance. Of course, they AREN'T correct because other than Cincy, Memphis, Houston and UCF there isn't anything there worth adding.

So let's say the B12 loses only 3 to go down to 7. Would the B12 add just 3 new members to get back to just 10? That's highly doubtful because they'd likely need at least 12 to continue to have a good TV contract. So it seems to be that the nB12 would add at least 2 more members from the West. Just who would that be besides mighty Boise? BYU? The school that most of this conference hates and refuses to schedule? I would think so. But I also think that if the nB12 was to go to 14, by 2024-2025, SDSU will be almost a lock to be one of the final two along with Fresno or UNLV.

Anyway you asked what my thinking is and that's it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

All the AAC trolls are hoping Air Force or CSU is heading to the American. It's gonna be sad to see them disappointed.

They want AFA because they're clueless about how awful that school is in everything besides football while they also ignore what a roller coaster ADA football has recently been. At least CSU has some potential for growth, or at least would have if they fired their incompetent athletic director.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

so Murray just deleted the tweet (or its at least hidden from his timeline). Wonder why he did that

Because the info wasn’t supposed to be for public consumption 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

At this point in time my thinking is the B12 (sic) will lose 3-4 of its main parts not necessarily including UT and then backfill to at least get back to 12 members. The AAC honks think their Pea6 would provide all of the new members. If they should turn out to be correct, that conference would be dog meat since there wouldn't be a single school to add which averages even 25K in football attendance. Of course, they AREN'T correct because other than Cincy, Memphis, Houston and UCF there isn't anything there worth adding.

So let's say the B12 loses only 3 to go down to 7. Would the B12 add just 3 new members to get back to just 10? That's highly doubtful because they'd likely need at least 12 to continue to have a good TV contract. So it seems to be that the nB12 would add at least 2 more members from the West. Just who would that be besides mighty Boise? BYU? The school that most of this conference hates and refuses to schedule? I would think so. But I also think that if the nB12 was to go to 14, by 2024-2025, SDSU will be almost a lock to be one of the final two along with Fresno or UNLV.

Anyway you asked what my thinking is and that's it.

It’s all speculation as to how many teams they’d add.  What isn’t speculative is their statement that they’d look east to expand, not west.