Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Get New TV Rights Deals

25 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Tallest midget, congrats.  And yes, there are more beaches within two hours of anywhere in Florida than anywhere on the west coast.  Take your pick.  You must be a gravedigger with how well you shovel yourself in.

San Diego has beaches and is only a couple hours from Los Angeles and Orange Counties which naturally have their own beaches as well.

And of course, UC Santa Barbara's campus is located right on the beach.  Carry on!

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

San Diego has beaches and is only a couple hours from Los Angeles and Orange Counties which naturally have their own beaches as well.

And of course, UC Santa Barbara's campus is located right on the beach.  Carry on!

Pepperdines campus is adjacent to the beach. UC San Diego is on a bluff above the beach. From the USD campus you can see the beach. Point Loma Nazarene is surrounded by ocean on two sides. But, don't forget, UCF is "near the beach."

😉

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

12 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Why wouldn’t they just put their other sports back in the WAC? Independent football, and battling nmsu/gcu for wac titles in everything else.

Too many fresh D2 call-ups like Tarleton State, Dixie State and Cal Baptist. An also ran in Texas with  UT-RGV.  Chicago State and Utah Valley are well, Chicago State and Utah Valley.  Lots of travel for a 1 bid league.  They would welcome Boise back, but would Boise want to be with them?

24 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

shooting old west GIF by GritTV

And that’s just a flesh wound @Did I hear a WOOSH?, get out now while you can still walk out... @Ibanez won’t be so kind with his next shot!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

UC San Diego is on a bluff above the beach. From the USD campus you can see the beach. Point Loma Nazarene is surrounded by ocean on two sides. But, don't forget, UCF is "near the beach."

Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Del Mar, Oceanside, Imperial Beach.  That's just within San Diego County.

26 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

20 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Pepperdines campus is adjacent to the beach. UC San Diego is on a bluff above the beach. From the USD campus you can see the beach. Point Loma Nazarene is surrounded by ocean on two sides. But, don't forget, UCF is "near the beach."

😉

The original comment said driving two hours to beach.  I went with that number.  You get to more beaches anywhere in Florida in two hours than from anywhere in California.  Anyone that has an issue with that should look at a map.  And lol at Santa Barbara beach.  I prefer non-hypothermia inducing water and warm breezes.

9 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

It's a fair point but to me anyways, digital connectivity is a utility, like the electricity I need to run everything.  Once 5G gets fully deployed, you'll have options. You'll be able to have your phone and home data all in one package.  You can do that now with a strong 4G but I wouldn't recommend it.

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think you are correct with your thinking.  I would say most people probably pay $50-$80 just for internet.  Then you add on $50 for their streaming TV like YouTube, Vue, etc and then their Netflix $10 or Prime (probably another sunk cost for most) and you are right around the introductory rates for cable/TV packages through providers.  

I think a lot of people probably never used to complain when their 2 year deal on pricing expired, which was always a pain.  So a lot of people were probably closer to $150 for cable/internet after 2 years.  If they had the highest package, probably closer to $200.  

"Cutting the cord" saves some money, but not  huge amount most of the time.  The only time it does is if you are lucky enough to have someone let you use their logins to a TV provider or you find a way to illegally get stuff off the internet.  

If you can do without ESPN, you can get OTA channels with an HD antenna ($30) and depending where you live, pull in CBS, Fox, ABC, and NBC.  Add in Netflix or Disney's package and then you just have internet and that Netflix/Disney package.  You miss out on ESPN, FS1, CBSSN of course.  But doable.  Or some people just order YouTube TV for a couple of months during football season to get all the games and then cancel.  Depends on how much TV you watch.  

Thanks, I always like to get a different perspectives.

I "cut the cord" about 3 years ago, I like it but it doesn't really save me any money. I pay $65/mo for 100Mbps. Hit the nail on the head for me, I hated having to complain every two years for Charter to renew the introductory rate; it was a pain in the ass. Now I share several services with my sister. 

Just now, Ibanez said:

Would the Big West take Boise State back without SDSU? I don't think they would have a reason too. Now with UC San Diego going to the Big West, would they even take SDSU? 

What BYU seemingly gained by going Indie in football, they gave up three times as much by moving their Olys to the WCC.

I think Boise and SDSU recognized that when they backed away from the Big Least.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

And that’s just a flesh wound @Did I hear a WOOSH?, get out now while you can still walk out... @Ibanez won’t be so kind with his next shot!

Hopefully he has better aim than you, this comment was directed at one of your mods.  Glad you appreciate mom jokes though, they really cut to the core-you know? Very fitting.

10 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

But I remember you said the traffic there was a problem. Are you really two hours from the beach? Really?

I’m in Tennessee, so no.  And I said with traffic 45 mins from UCF.  Which in Florida at least isn’t bad.  38 miles is close by 98% of the countries measure...keep barking up that tree! On the coldest day of the year the water temps are 15 degrees warmer than the highest average water temp at any San Diego accessible beach.

if the deal does end up real. It will be interesting to see what happens with our deal with Spectrum. They have an exclusive window to renew I believe. But the value may change depending on how much content they are allotted.

Our contract with them ends June 2020. Which is right before when the new contract would start. There is a chance we take part of this new contract and are included in the new tv deal especially if we all get to keep our tier 3 rights 

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Dennis Dodd says the leaked terms for the contract was not close to what was reported. That's not good.

Could also be higher... :shrug:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Hopefully he has better aim than you, this comment was directed at one of your mods.  Glad you appreciate mom jokes though, they really cut to the core-you know? Very fitting.

No, was referring to his earlier remarks to you... he was pretty spot on though. And no... since mom, (and dad), died over 10 years ago, they don’t do much for me in the humor category, but please... carry on with your whimsical retorts!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

AAC Board thinks this is our conferences and our access bowl death nail ( Of course they do.) and are for sure they are getting Air Force. They also claim they make 7.5 million. I thought it was just shy of $7?

It was basically 7m a year from ESPN for 12 teams a year (just short of 84m). That does not include CBS portion that is for Navy's games and a small amount of basketball games for CBS proper. Altogether it's probably around 92m (5-6m for Navy and 3m for basketball). Full share media pay outs for 11 teams would be 8.3m. Navy reportedly gets 70% of a share WSU will get 30%. 

ESPN is renegotiating the terms. Likely an adjustment for UConn leaving. Unlikely to drop below the 7m per team meaning total media pay out will be roughly 86m a year.  7.8m a year. Subtract 500k for production. So about 7.3 in media pay outs with production.

18 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Would the Big West take Boise State back without SDSU? I don't think they would have a reason too. Now with UC San Diego going to the Big West, would they even take SDSU? 

Would the Big West take Boise back, by themselves?  Yes.  And the WAC would do so as well. 

As to your second question: no.  Besides the UCSD factor, the Aztecs' increased payday also reduces their incentive for leaving the Mountain West. 

13 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m in Tennessee, so no.  And I said with traffic 45 mins from UCF.  Which in Florida at least isn’t bad.  38 miles is close by 98% of the countries measure...keep barking up that tree! On the coldest day of the year the water temps are 15 degrees warmer than the highest average water temp at any San Diego accessible beach.

That 2% of the country which says 38 miles is a bit far, is located in California.  While cold waters are a bummer, we don't have to worry about hurricanes either.  Trade-offs

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Is there a chance he is wrong since everyone is reporting something different? This isn't good man. Someone said ESPN could still be in play. But right now I can't tell what's real or speculation anymore.

You'd almost be better off to just wait for the conference itself to make that announcement.  At least then it's official.

7 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Is there a chance he is wrong since everyone is reporting something different? This isn't good man. Someone said ESPN could still be in play. But right now I can't tell what's real or speculation anymore.

It’s pretty late. I wouldn’t stress about it right now.  I’d guess we’re going get resolution on this by Friday. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater