Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

USU-BYU Basketball

On 12/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, BleedRed702 said:

@#1Stunner Are there any other teams that BYU would need to beat to claim the title, Champions of the State of Utah? You obviously know a lot more about the schools up there. The only other one I could think of would be Dixie State. Maybe next year BYU can do an exhibition against them? 

What are your thoughts? 

We need a holiday tournament. 

Utah

BYU

USU

UVU

Weber st

SUU

Dixie st

Westminster college

The Masters 5k road race All American.

5 minutes ago, robe said:

I wonder if Pope gets snapped up. BYU is pretty good this year and I think he is a huge reason.

It was one hell of a ball game on this night the best team won congrats.

I do wish that schools in Utah would play home and home in basketball, one can only imagine the interest of a BYU -Utah return game in Provo, or a return by BYU to the Spectrum. Utah has refused to travel to Logan or Ogden, so I say to hell with them, play home and home with the three schools to might dare do that. The games would sell out and be a good prep for conference games. It is time to play against teams that the fans want to see.Perhaps Utah will grow a pair and join in.

48 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Definitely. BYU is a power to be reckoned with. Hoping you can get that rematch against Utah. Just don’t overlook Weber State. Don’t want any slip ups there! 

Thanks, but BYU is nowhere near the national power UNLV is every year 1 month before the season starts. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

4 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I do wish that schools in Utah would play home and home in basketball, one can only imagine the interest of a BYU -Utah return game in Provo, or a return by BYU to the Spectrum. Utah has refused to travel to Logan or Ogden, so I say to hell with them, play home and home with the three schools to might dare do that. The games would sell out and be a good prep for conference games. It is time to play against teams that the fans want to see.Perhaps Utah will grow a pair and join in.

USU crowd was more into than BYU. It was a great environment. F Utah. I’m fine with not playing them. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Guest #1Stunner
51 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I do wish for them both to get in, BYU does have the sack to come to Logan. I wish we played home and home every year. You could not buy a ticket for a return game in Logan.

I wouldn't be in favor of BYU and USU playing 2 times a year, home and home...  Once a year is plenty.

The main problem is that there are so many schools to play in Utah.  BYU already has annual games with Utah, USU, and Weber State.  Occasionally BYU is also playing SUU, UVU and probably Dixie moving forward.  So, that's 6 in state teams.   So, no real room to schedule 2 annual games with USU.   

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, robe said:

USU crowd was more into than BYU. It was a great environment. F Utah. I’m fine with not playing them. 

Whichever school plays BYU is always the most attended.

USU fans showed up since they were playing BYU.

Utah vs Weber was basically an empty arena.   

If either school had played BYU instead last night, their fans would have cared and shown up.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, robe said:

I wonder if Pope gets snapped up. BYU is pretty good this year and I think he is a huge reason.

I agree.

He played at Kentucky and Washington, so he's not necessarily a BYU lifer.  I could see a bigger program going after him.  He's been a great coach so far.  Big improvement from last year.

2 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

The thing I can't understand is why didn't Utah's staff as for a video review on Anderson 3 that they counted as a 2 (13:43 in the 1st half, should have been 13-11 BYU and not 13-10) on the next dead ball.  His toes were on the NBA line, but well behind the NCAA line:  The refs were having a hard time with the 2 lines last night (Anderson, Porter, and Barcello just off the top of my head).

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, e-zone99 said:

The thing I can't understand is why didn't Utah's staff as for a video review on Anderson 3 that they counted as a 2 (13:43 in the 1st half, should have been 13-11 BYU and not 13-10) on the next dead ball.  His toes were on the NBA line, but well behind the NCAA line:  The refs were having a hard time with the 2 lines last night (Anderson, Porter, and Barcello just off the top of my head).

I think USU did ask for a review, and the refs were so confused, they ruled it a 2 pointer.

But like you said, they kept doing it to both schools.  Really looked like amateur hour out there.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I wouldn't be in favor of BYU and USU playing 2 times a year, home and home...  Once a year is plenty.

The main problem is that there are so many schools to play in Utah.  BYU already has annual games with Utah, USU, and Weber State.  Occasionally BYU is also playing SUU, UVU and probably Dixie moving forward.  So, that's 6 in state teams.   So, no real room to schedule 2 annual games with USU.   

I have a hard time with UVU and SUU as good instate games given that USU is 25-0 all time with those two schools, so I guess the interest is not there for me. I would love to see the ewe playing BYU in Provo before you go into conference. I guess I would like to see Weber, BYU, USU and the ewe ewe play H&H each year. it has happened in the past. Just some thoughts from the dummy.

Guest #1Stunner
16 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I have a hard time with UVU and SUU as good instate games given that USU is 25-0 all time with those two schools, so I guess the interest is not there for me. I would love to see the ewe playing BYU in Provo before you go into conference. I guess I would like to see Weber, BYU, USU and the ewe ewe play H&H each year. it has happened in the past. Just some thoughts from the dummy.

Dave Rose already tried to play Utah home and home out of conference every year.

Jim Boylen, Utah's old coach wanted to do it.  Then their AD said no.

Then we saw how it has been with Utah lately.  Their coach paid a $80K buyout to not play BYU, since he is scared of in-state schools.  And Utah refuses to play in Logan or Ogden anymore.  So don't count on it.  Utah is focused on PAC12---not other Utah schools.

I think BYU prefers to play 1 annual game against in-state schools (Weber, USU, Utah), and then play OOC games, since most BYU fans don't live in Utah.  So, maybe it works for USU to play home-and-home against other in-state schools, in one season.  But BYU's fans and alums mostly live in other States.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Dave Rose already tried to play Utah home and home out of conference every year.

Then we saw how it has been with Utah lately.  Their coach paid a $80K buyout to not play BYU, since he is scared of in-state schools.  And Utah refuses to play in Logan or Ogden anymore.  So don't count on it.  Utah is focused on PAC12---not other Utah schools.

I think BYU prefers to play 1 annual game against in-state schools (Weber, USU, Utah), and then play OOC games, since most BYU fans don't live in Utah.  So, maybe it works for USU to play home-and-home against other in-state schools, in one season.  But BYU's fans and alums mostly live in other States.

Makes absolutely no sense for a Pac 12 team to play BYU, or anybody, H & H OOC.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The major problem is the ewe of ewe, their refusal to schedule any instate school except for BYU which they were forced to do is so arrogant that it really should cause them some real media heat. Hell the game you played with them in SLC was a great game, and a tough game like that prepares everyone for conference play.

4 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

It makes sense when one understands they do not want to play any instate schools. They were forced to play BYU . Taking a chance on loosing to the unwashed.

I get it, playing the instates isn't really in their best interest. What if they were made to play them twice?