Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

USU-BYU Basketball

The two Zoob teams at each other’s throat Saturday night. Not sure USU has enough to beat BYU with Child’s and a 50% Queta. I say 50% because of his health and limited minutes. The key to beating BYU is defending the three point line even if Child’s gets 30. You cannot leave their perimeter shooters open and expect to win. You have to contest every shot. It’s how SDSU and Boise State beat them granted without Child’s. 

A win would be huge for the Aggies come NCAA selection time. Not sure how this game didn’t make one of the CBS or ESPN channels. 

I think we're screwed without Queta at 100%. As mentioned, running byu's shooters off the 3 point line is key, and having Queta in the paint gives USU an eraser inside when they drive--makes extending the defense much easier. Also, Queta at full strength can guard Childs 1on1 which none of our other bigs can do...The double team rotations will have to be perfect. All of that combined with how poorly we've been shooting the last couple weeks and you've got a recipe for disaster. 

I don't expect to win this one. I already have my valium at the ready to accept an eight straight loss to BYU. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I don't expect to win this one. I already have my valium at the ready to accept an eight straight loss to BYU. 

Both teams rely on 3 point shooting, rather than athleticism and driving to the basket.

So it really can go either way, depending on which team can hit their shots, and if the referees put anyone into foul trouble.

Also, if one team just happens to have an off night, I could see a 20 point win (by either team), even though I think both teams are fairly equally matched.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Both teams rely on 3 point shooting, rather than athleticism and driving to the basket.

So it really can go either way, depending on which team can hit their shots, and if the referees put anyone into foul trouble.

Also, if one team just happens to have an off night, I could see a 20 point win (by either team), even though I think both teams are fairly equally matched.

This is huge for BYU. 50.1%, they are obviously going to win. After this win, BYU just needs to win against Weber State and then match up against UVU in the NIT and rematch Utah in the NIT to be champions of the state of Utah. I think that would really elevate the program. It would be a tremendous feat for BYU. 

DAD9E5C1-A1F1-43E5-850B-638345D6D05C.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, BleedRed702 said:

This is huge for BYU. 50.1%, they are obviously going to win. After this win, BYU just needs to win against Weber State and then match up against UVU in the NIT and rematch Utah in the NIT to be champions of the state of Utah. I think that would really elevate the program. It would be a tremendous feat for BYU. 

DAD9E5C1-A1F1-43E5-850B-638345D6D05C.jpeg

^^^^ Someone is still butt hurt that BYU humiliated UNLV in basketball (again).

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

^^^^ Someone is still butt hurt that BYU humiliated UNLV in basketball (again).

??? We aren’t discussing UNLV. This is about BYU being the champions of the state of UTAH. I don’t know about you, but I think they really have a shot at it. I think the school could make a really cool banner too and hang it up in the Marriott Center. 

“Champions of Utah - 2019-2020”

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Any injuries on the BYU Side? Merrill is still going on a bum ankle so his driving to the bucket has been limited. Queta is not yet at 100% either. That's what really hurts us in this one. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Any injuries on the BYU Side? Merrill is still going on a bum ankle so his driving to the bucket has been limited. Queta is not yet at 100% either. That's what really hurts us in this one. 

I don't think there are any injuries for BYU that aren't already known (Gavin Baxter).

Not sure what Yoeli's leg cramp issues are, but he should be good.

When is Karwowski supposed to be back?  Yoeli Childs then Kenny Blackshear Jr. a week later is going to be tough for undersized Alphonso Anderson and a gimpy Queta.  Without some post presence, USU may have to hang its OOC hat solely on the LSU win and hope that LSU plays well enough the rest of the way to call it a quality win.

9 minutes ago, Bob said:

Here's to hoping for a well-timed and well-placed meteor strike 

Do you hate all Utah based teams, or just USU and BYU? 

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

??? We aren’t discussing UNLV. This is about BYU being the champions of the state of UTAH. I don’t know about you, but I think they really have a shot at it. I think the school could make a really cool banner too and hang it up in the Marriott Center. 

ahem .... :foottap:

I think we can all agree, good riddance to this Beehive bust tournament!  It's not being renewed.

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

Just USU and BYU

Makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying. 

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

The only problem is BYU lost to Utah, and the ewe will be unbeaten in instate games. Utah will not play USU in Logan or Weber State in Ogden so a state championship is hard to come by.

13 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

The only problem is BYU lost to Utah, and the ewe will be unbeaten in instate games. Utah will not play USU in Logan or Weber State in Ogden so a state championship is hard to come by.

Utah's basketball team is on the precipice of falling off of sharp cliff, I honestly don't know how we have won some of the games we have this year.  We really need to avoid any program with a pulse right now.  We are the UNLV equivalent in the PAC-12.  

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Utah's basketball team is on the precipice of falling off of sharp cliff, I honestly don't know how we have won some of the games we have this year.  We really need to avoid any program with a pulse right now.  We are the UNLV equivalent in the PAC-12.  

I don’t know about that. Other than U of Pay and Oregon the PAC-12 doesn’t look that foreboding.

BYU, big. We suck right now and BYU is playing lights out right now with Yoeli back in the lineup. Not to mention they just played in Vivint less than a week ago so they’re accustomed to the environment, whereas the Aggies are not. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

50 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

You have a very young team with I believe  all 5 starters were 4 star recruits all of which will be back next season. I think the future is very bright at the U.

2 hours ago, nielsbohr said:

When is Karwowski supposed to be back?  Yoeli Childs then Kenny Blackshear Jr. a week later is going to be tough for undersized Alphonso Anderson and a gimpy Queta.  Without some post presence, USU may have to hang its OOC hat solely on the LSU win and hope that LSU plays well enough the rest of the way to call it a quality win.

He had his appendix out at the end of November. I'm guessing he's out a few more weeks.