Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changes to AAC contract may be coming

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

BYU and Army are a no-go for various reason but AF as a football only is something we must explore with our ESPN and CBS overlords.

Why would ESPN want that?  They can own AFA's rights as a MWC member if they so choose.  That means they would already own AFA-Navy.  Outside that game AFA vs Boise more valuable than AFA vs any AAC team.  As is AFA vs Wyoming and CSU.

3 hours ago, 1066 said:

Stunner,

A post several months ago on the bbs site for the AAC suggested that Temple, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, SMU, ECU and a few others have the things you mentioned already. The post was about 2 to 4 weeks after their new ESPN contract was announced. I have neither the time or inclination to look it up and I don't have  that much interest in the subject either. I do remember that Tulsa was not included in the list. There may have been others. I believe, but do not specifically remember if Navy had the equipment needed. 

Well it must be correct then.

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Imagine if they had the brains and balls to go after something like:

AAC West

Air Force

Boise State 

BYU (or UNLV)

Colorado State

Houston

San Diego State

SMU

Tulsa

AAC East

Central Florida

Cincinnati 

East Carolina

Memphis

Navy 

South Florida

Temple

Tulane 

But they won’t do that because their heads are too far up their asses.

That would take the MW down to eight.

Add the NewMags and move Weber or North Dakota St up to G5 ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

"and thus underestimates the annual costs and ignores the upfront costs."

I think I'll go with an Athletic Director for an AAC member institution over some guy on the internet.

Bad sign when the AD cant handle 5th grade math or read/comprehend his own conference's press releases.

"willfully obtuse".

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

one regular season NFL game cost $200k + in production costs alone, but I have no doubt that the rocket scientists of the AAC think they can get buy with a couple of Go Pro cameras, duct tape an iphone or two, some soup cans and string,  a Commodore 64 and a couple of communication majors in the booth.  

And when that fails, Aresco will get mad at the playoff committee.

I have no doubt that production costs for some spare ECU volleyball game will be much lower.  Its the sheer number of events he's either unaware of or intentionally ignoring publically in order to understate costs.  Not nickels and dimes low, because he clearly left stuff out.  Probably intentionally...wouldnt want the loyal minions knowing that their 'game changing' TV deal isnt.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Subtle troll by Top, including Tulsa and not Fresno.

Actually I was being serious because Tulsa is already in the AAC. That BYU/UNLV slot could also be filled by Fresno. But none of this will ever come to pass because there are a group of dumb+++++s making decisions for the AAC. Our home is in the Mountain West unless or until a BOR comes about in the future. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
11 hours ago, 1066 said:

Stunner,

A post several months ago on the bbs site for the AAC suggested that Temple, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, SMU, ECU and a few others have the things you mentioned already. The post was about 2 to 4 weeks after their new ESPN contract was announced. I have neither the time or inclination to look it up and I don't have  that much interest in the subject either. I do remember that Tulsa was not included in the list. There may have been others. I believe, but do not specifically remember if Navy had the equipment needed. 

John David says it's a terrible deal, and said they will have to do ~$2M annual in production expenses.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-04-23/sdsu-aztecs-mountain-west-tv-contract-craig-thompson

John David is the best in the business.

@Fowl

Guest #1Stunner
11 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

one regular season NFL game cost $200k + in production costs alone, but I have no doubt that the rocket scientists of the AAC think they can get buy with a couple of Go Pro cameras, duct tape an iphone or two, some soup cans and string,  a Commodore 64 and a couple of communication majors in the booth.  

And when that fails, Aresco will get mad at the playoff committee.

The linked article they are celebrating is East Carolina's AD estimating it will cost $300,000 (minimum) to produce 45 men's and women's basketball games...

Somehow, the AAC fans are using this 45 basketball games comment as an estimate of what the total cost will be to produce broadcasts for ALL of their athletics, including football.....  Sound logic there.

Plus, in the past we had Tusla and other AAC fans claiming that to arrive at their numbers, they are going to employ a production crew of retired alums, volunteers, and students, and maybe rely on smart phones to film the production.   This is laughable...

This isn't rocket science.  Like you said, you can look at what the PAC12, Longhorn Network, BYU, etc have had to spend to broadcast games, and make them look professional.  It is going to be a significant annual expense.  And arguing about $7M vs $5M is just dick measuring (and AAC fans trying to pretend it matters) because both sums are peanuts anyway.  The most laughable thing is how AAC fans have gotten preoccupied with the PAC12, and them arguing that they are now equal to the PAC12.

Guest #1Stunner

Aresco claims that the AAC is looking for a 12th team to try and recoup the financial hit from UConn leaving.

AAC fans convinced that they will add BYU or AFA as football only (not likely), or that they can just add Colorado State whenever they want.

Since when did the AAC (just a renamed CUSA from 6 years ago) become so appealing?  I'm not seeing why the AAC is more appealing than the MWC.

Guest #1Stunner
11 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The ECU AD just told you what the costs were.  A little over $300K.   Ive been trying to tell you guys that the expenses to produce are nowhere near 2 million a year. 

Please re-read the article.

The ECU AD only said that he estimates it will cost ECU a little over $300K to produce 45 mens and women's basketball game broadcasts.

There was no estimate about what the football broadcasts will cost. 

There was no estimate about what other sports broadcasts (if any) will cost. 

And ESPN is requiring that these broadcasts be produced to an ESPN-level  and quality of broadcast.  

Guest #1Stunner

#Pea6

AAC ATTENDANCE

Memphis 38,816
UCF 43,788
South Fla. 31,823
Cincinnati 35,985
Temple 29,460
East Carolina 33,134
Navy 31,970
SMU 23,633
Houston 25,518
Tulane 20,271
Tulsa 18,741
UConn 18,216

Avg is 29,280

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Please re-read the article.

The ECU AD only said that he estimates it will cost ECU a little over $300K to produce 45 mens and women's basketball game broadcasts.

There was no estimate about what the football broadcasts will cost. 

There was no estimate about what other sports broadcasts (if any) will cost. 

And ESPN is requiring that these broadcasts be produced to an ESPN-level  and quality of broadcast.  

There are only 6 home football games per team.  Roughly half of those will be on linear ESPN networks.  So, lets say it costs twice as much to do a football game than it does to produce a basketball game.  Thats adds another $45K to the ECU $300K estimate.  So the total cost is $345K.   Lets say it's actually 3 times more expensive to do a football game---that means $67,500 is the total production cost for a season of football games .  Realistically, the base cost to do a football game is the same as a basketball game (2 announcers, producer, 3 cameramen, control room staff, etc).  The real difference in price is going to be the number of extra cameras.  I doubt it doubles or triples the price to add a few extra cameramen (especially if they are just Radio-TV department students in the end zones).  Im pretty sure your locked in inside source has not sat in on a single AAC/ESPN meeting regarding preparation for next year.  Im going to go with the ECU AD as the better source on this one.    

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

There are only 6 home football games per team.  Roughly half of those will be on linear ESPN networks.  So, lets say it costs twice as much to do a football game than it does to produce a basketball game.  Thats adds another $45K to the ECU $300K estimate.  So the total cost is $345K.   Lets say it's actually 3 times more expensive to do a football game---that means $67,500 is the total production cost for a season of football games .  Realistically, the base cost to do a football game is the same as a basketball game (2 announcers, producer, 3 cameramen, control room staff, etc).  The real difference in price is going to be the number of extra cameras.  I doubt it doubles or triples the price to add a few extra cameramen (especially if they are just Radio-TV department students in the end zones).  Im pretty sure your locked in inside source has not sat in on a single AAC/ESPN meeting regarding preparation for next year.  Im going to go with the ECU AD as the better source on this one.    

Lol.

15 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

There are only 6 home football games per team.  Roughly half of those will be on linear ESPN networks.  So, lets say it costs twice as much to do a football game than it does to produce a basketball game.  Thats adds another $45K to the ECU $300K estimate.  So the total cost is $345K.   Lets say it's actually 3 times more expensive to do a football game---that means $67,500 is the total production cost for a season of football games.  Realistically, the base cost to do a football game is the same as a basketball game.  The real difference in price is the number of extra cameras.  I doubt it doubles or triples the price to add a few extra cameramen (especially if they are just Radio-TV department students).  Im pretty sure your locked in inside source has not sat in on a single AAC/ESPN meeting regarding preparation for next year.  Im going to go with the ECU AD as the better source on this one.    

Its costing PAC 12 teams nearly 8 million per school per year to broadcast their own sports.  

I guess we know what we can expect from the AAC high school equivalent production.  That screams big time.

Are they going to do quarter stats on a notebook with a magic marker?

5 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Its costing PAC 12 teams nearly 8 million per school per year to broadcast their own sports.  

I guess we know what we can expect from the AAC high school equivalent production.  That screams big time.

Have you watched some of the broadcasts on ESPN+?  They are brutal.  Texas St vs Wyoming this year was bad.   ESPN really needs a minimum threshold to get an event on their platform or if they have one, they need to raise it 

18 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

still missing volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball...and whatever else makes up the 1000+ events that ESPN+ will be carrying each year, divided amongst the AAC schools.

This really isnt that hard.

18 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Have you watched some of the broadcasts on ESPN+?  They are brutal.  Texas St vs Wyoming this year was bad.   ESPN really needs a minimum threshold to get an event on their platform or if they have one, they need to raise it 

Exactly.  The broadcasts aint exactly going to be Monday Night Football.   They wont be Pac12 Network quality either.  They will look like most of what you see that are ESPN-3 "exclusive" games.  Basically---it willbe very similar to a MW Digital Network game.  Those MW games dont look bad.  They are decent broadcasts--but are very basic with minimal bells and whistles.  It is what it is.