Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

sounds like its gaining momentum ...

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That's pretty old. Haven't there been other G5 teams relegated to "P5" status for these games by Power 5 Conferences. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Bob Bowlsby favors Power 5 schools playing at least 10 P5 opponents: “If left up to me, I wouldn’t make any stipulations how many games you play in conference; but that everyone plays 10 (Power 5) games. At least that way portfolio looks the same"

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

That's pretty old. Haven't there been other G5 teams relegated to "P5" status for these games by Power 5 Conferences. 

From a BYU fan that tracks this:

BYU and Notre Dame are the only schools regarded as P5 by all 4 conferences with a P5 scheduling requirement (if Boise ever went Indy, a school of their caliber would also be granted P5 scheduling status)

ACC: BYU, Notre Dame, and all P5 conference teams.

Big 10: Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame, and all P5 conference teams. The Big 10 has granted an exception to Indiana giving former BCS schools Cincinnati and UConn P5 scheduling status. The Big 10 will consider granting exceptions to other teams based on recent performance (Delaney said they'd look at RPI over last 5-6 seasons when considering exceptions).

Big 12: Army, BYU, Notre Dame, and all P5 conference teams.

Pac-12: No P5 scheduling requirement.

SEC: Army, BYU, Notre Dame, and all P5 conference teams.

Summary of schools recognized as P5 for scheduling requirements:

Army: Big 10, Big 12, and SEC.
BYU: ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC.
Navy: Big 10.
Notre Dame: ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC.
Cincinnati and UConn: Current exception for Indiana granted by the Big 10.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Big 10: Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame, and all P5 conference teams. The Big 10 has granted an exception to Indiana giving former BCS schools Cincinnati and UConn P5 scheduling status. The Big 10 will consider granting exceptions to other teams based on recent performance (Delaney said they'd look at RPI over last 5-6 seasons when considering exceptions).

IOW....'We'll let it slide if you've already scheduled them".

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Nick Saban is on board, too.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/nick-saban-says-alabama-is-trying-to-get-10-power-5-opponents-on-future-schedules/

According to Chris Low with ESPN, Saban recently discussed the topic and addressed Alabama’s future schedules. Saban said the Crimson Tide are working towards a goal of playing 10 Power 5 games a year on their future schedules, and it is a model he believes other Power 5 teams should employ.

Saban pointed out that such a model would benefit everyone in college football, including the fans:

“I’ve always said, ‘Let’s play all Power 5 games,'” Saban told ESPN on Friday. “I was in the NFL where we played all the games against NFL teams. But let’s play at least 10 Power 5 games. It would be better for the players, better for the fans, and I think you wouldn’t have to worry that if you lost a game that you wouldn’t have as much of a chance to still be in [the College Football Playoff]. They talk about strength of schedule now, but how do you really evaluate that?”

Under Saban’s model, he went on to explain that Alabama is working towards one home-and-home Power 5 game and one neutral site Power 5 game a year, provided the SEC sticks with eight conference games. For what it’s worth, Saban has said he would be in favor of adding a ninth SEC game to the schedule.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, RSF said:
Bob Bowlsby favors Power 5 schools playing at least 10 P5 opponents: “If left up to me, I wouldn’t make any stipulations how many games you play in conference; but that everyone plays 10 (Power 5) games. At least that way portfolio looks the same"

The requirement that all P5s play 10 P5 games per year (minimum) would be terrible for MWC schools / G5, and they should fight against it.

WHY?

The Power 5 schools all want as many home games as possible---usually 7 home games.  If they play a 10 game P5 schedule, then you are looking at mostly 5 home, 5 away P5 games for them every year.  No other P5 will grant another P5 a one and done.  

So.....That leaves 2 additional games for every P5 to get 7 home games (they get massive revenue from home games in the SEC).   That would mean that a G5 would NEVER get to host most Power 5 games, ever.  All G5 vs P5 would essentially turn to one and done.  That is fine for schools like USU, but does the rest of the MWC want this?

It would almost guarantee that Texas never played an away game at a G5.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It would almost guaranty that Texas never played an away game at a G5.

Played one this year.  While playing 10 P5 games.

Of course....it was in Houston.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RSF said:

Played one this year.  While playing 10 P5 games.

Yep.  I'm talking about schedules moving forward.

Do you dispute my contention that a 10 game P5 schedule would hurt the G5?

16 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Heres my final way how I would do it: 

8 team bracket

5 P5 Champs/3 At-Large

Computer polls determine again 

*G5 team will qualify and fill an At-Large spot with the old BCS Buster criteria (Finish in Top 12/Top 16 and higher than P5 Champ)

Use the alternating NY6 bowl to host it. 

Conference Championship games may have to change the way it selects teams so say we don't have an 7-5 Pitt matched up against a 12-0 Clemson

BOOM EVERYONE HAS A FAIR SHAKE!!

I would also add a G5 play-in game amongst the two best conference champs. That way we know we are getting the best team on the field. Not the Mike Aresco version of the two best are in the AAC, so they both get into the play-in game.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

54 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Didn't Texas go to Wyo a while back? 

Yup

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Didn't Texas go to Wyo a while back? 

They also played at UTEP.  Texas Tech is the opening game for UTEP in the Sun Bowl this year.  The Miners are going to get hammered.  I bet it draws 35-40k though.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, #1Stunner said:

A team like Boise could be ranked 6th in the polls, and would be seeded 8th.

Don't expect fairness.  

Also, doesn't seem fair that the Big12 only has 10 schools, and yet they'd get an autobid, while other P5 conferences have 12 and 14 schools competing for an autobid.

But they really don’t have 12-14 schools competing for an autobid...more like 4-5 at best. 

tetons1.jpg

20 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

F-ck this. 16 teams- 10 conference champions, 1 independent, 5 at-large. Play begins the weekend after CCGs and continues every weekend until a CG on NYD. Utilize 8 of the existing bowls and rotate the series through them. Other post-conference bowls can continue with non-playoff teams. It really isn't that far out. Two more games than the past four "national champions" and runners-up have played. Cap regular seasons at 12 games with one bye week.

Oh yeah, and play on Sundays...

It will get there. It was 2 teams (BCS) then 4. It looks like 8 is in its way. G5 hopefully a guaranteed spot if not it still will have more access. It will stop at 16 or 24.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 minutes ago, robe said:

It will get there. It was 2 teams (BCS) then 4. It looks like 8 is in its way. G5 hopefully a guaranteed spot if not it still will have more access. It will stop at 16 or 24.

So you're for play on Sundays? Color me surprised...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

So if they expand at the end of each contract, look forward to a 16 team playoff somewhere around 2050...