Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Way Early 2020 MWC Football Prediction

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Air Force and the triple option has always given us trouble and has a better record against us than any other Mtn division team. Wyoming has always played us close since Bohl arrived on the scene and has enough returners to beat us with our depleted Oline and Dline next year. Other than the Brennen years, I agree on Hawaii, however, Rolovich has them on the upswing. 

SDSU fans should know better than anyone what happens when you lose guys off your lines. It’s the primary reason I believe we lose the Mtn division title next year. We don’t lose only a few, we lose almost everyone. We return only one Oline starter and no Dline starters assuming Cleveland and Weaver declare for the draft which is almost a certainty. 

The triple option has not given us trouble for 3 years.

22 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Transfer QBs are so hit and miss 

In most cases (along with JC Transfers) I concur. This is a unique case (probably on par with a JC All American in probability to excel and make an immediate impact).

On 12/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, kingpotato said:

The Fresno juju was pretty thick this last off-season. A well deserved unlucky season

Bingo.

And I'll withhold any prediction on the 2020 season until I see who Fresno hires. In the meantime I have to say things sure are ultra-secretive on that issue. Maybe that's a good thing somehow. However, the most secretive football coaching search SDSU ever had was the one which led to the hiring of Chuck "Fourth and" Long.

Boom goes the dynamite.

55 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

3rd stringer is gone...

Not surprised.  I honestly think he needs to look at FCS.  Or maybe the talent is there and Vigen and staff couldn't get it out of him.  

I'm glad he came back this year though.  Shows his character and willingness to compete.  I wish him the best of luck.  Seems like a great kid!  

Gavin Beerup(Great name for a Wyoming player) is committed for next year.  They need to get him up to speed quicky but hopefully he is not needed next year.  

On 12/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, soupslam1 said:

Air Force and the triple option has always given us trouble and has a better record against us than any other Mtn division team. Wyoming has always played us close since Bohl arrived on the scene and has enough returners to beat us with our depleted Oline and Dline next year. Other than the Brennen years, I agree on Hawaii, however, Rolovich has them on the upswing. 

SDSU fans should know better than anyone what happens when you lose guys off your lines. It’s the primary reason I believe we lose the Mtn division title next year. We don’t lose only a few, we lose almost everyone. We return only one Oline starter and no Dline starters assuming Cleveland and Weaver declare for the draft which is almost a certainty. 

You are 9-1 against the Pokes and you will get your 10th win next year.

As to losing your line, all I ever hear from Donkey world is how they reload every year.

Boise

Pokes

UTags

AFA

CS-ewe

Lowblows

Fresno

Hawaii

SDSU

UNR

Sparty

Rebs

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 key questions for Nevada: how good is the o-line next year?  They will hopefully be healthy, and some nice reinforcements were signed today.  Also, what kind of defensive staff is brought in?  Norvell’s presser today introducing the recruiting class made it sound like he wants to retain the 3-3-5 defense.  We could compete for the conference championship, or be very mediocre.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, SleepingGiantFan said:

Bingo.

And I'll withhold any prediction on the 2020 season until I see who Fresno hires. In the meantime I have to say things sure are ultra-secretive on that issue. Maybe that's a good thing somehow. However, the most secretive football coaching search SDSU ever had was the one which led to the hiring of Chuck "Fourth and" Long.

Tumey was really pissed Tedford's resignation leaked ahead of time.  Put the absolute clamps on anything meaningful during this search.  Nothing leaked out to your footballscoops or rittenberg about who interviewed. 

9 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Tumey was really pissed Tedford's resignation leaked ahead of time.  Put the absolute clamps on anything meaningful during this search.  Nothing leaked out to your footballscoops or rittenberg about who interviewed. 

My source in the AD steered me in a completely different direction than what was happening. It was intended and that person even stated as much after the announcement was allowed to leak. The AD’s frustrations were confirmed by my source...I knew that much at the start of the search, but never expected the misdirection.

It’s kinda refreshing to be honest...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

21 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

As to losing your line, all I ever hear from Donkey world is how they reload every year.

Alternate Homer view - every position becomes more talented, prepare thy anii.

LT: Cleveland (.8113) - replaced by Crabtree (.8278)

LG: Molchon (.8178) - replaced by Dooley (.8395)

C: Larson (.8080) - replaced by KHG (.8305)

RG: Quevedo (.8265) - replaced by Curran (.8370)

---

STUD: Kline (.9023) is highest ever OLB/DE in Boise history

DT: Igiehon (.8518) is higher rated than all other DTs that are leaving - and so is Gums (.8636)

DT: Jackson Cravens (.8735) is 2nd highest rated interior lineman ever in Boise

DE: Shane Irwin (.8337) is rated higher than outgoing Chase Hatada.

21 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada’s going to beat Fresno and SDSU at Mackay. I say this only because Nevada can’t chit the bed at home two years in a row. Can it?!? 😂

Considering we beat them both on the road this year, I'd say its a definite possibility.

Next year is a make or break season for Norvell. We return 10 starters on offense and 6 on defense, but will have a new DC. We could very well be the west champion, or continue to struggle on O and finish next to last, who knows...

San Diego State will be better on offense with either Sears or Baker. For once they have solid returning WR's in Kobe Smith and Matthews as well as a great tight end in 6'6 Bellinger. Added is Brion Penny  Rashaad"s  6'3 brother who can fly. We have plenty of running backs if we can find someone who can run bock.Worst loss is the punter that guy hit so many balls inside the ten it was ridiculous. WE lose on senior of the line a but we have at least four really good guys to step p ans replace him. Plenty of good linebackers and safety's. We will miss Barcqo but once again several talented guys to vie for the position. The only glaring weakness is the oline which returns four starters that is the good news,the bad news is we return four starters.(and Jeff Horton as OC) Rocky said the only thing wrong was lack of execution, that is like saying the only problem with poverty is lack on money.

I see

WEST

SDSU

Hawaii/ Fresno State

Nevada

San Jose State

UNLV

MOUNTAIN

Boise State

Wyoming

CSU/USU

New Mexico

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Alternate Homer view - every position becomes more talented, prepare thy anii.

LT: Cleveland (.8113) - replaced by Crabtree (.8278)

LG: Molchon (.8178) - replaced by Dooley (.8395)

C: Larson (.8080) - replaced by KHG (.8305)

RG: Quevedo (.8265) - replaced by Curran (.8370)

---

STUD: Kline (.9023) is highest ever OLB/DE in Boise history

DT: Igiehon (.8518) is higher rated than all other DTs that are leaving - and so is Gums (.8636)

DT: Jackson Cravens (.8735) is 2nd highest rated interior lineman ever in Boise

DE: Shane Irwin (.8337) is rated higher than outgoing Chase Hatada.

Obviously the lines next year are a huge question mark. Really the only question mark (maybe kicker). Boise will have the best skill position players in the league and their back seven on defense will be as good as any in the league. 

Losing the OL was a big reason I saw a big drop off for USU this year. Now they also lost almost all of their skill players, as well. Boise won the conference the last time they lost 4 of 5 on the OL. Now, it wasn't without severe growing pains. The OL was atrocious the first half of the season until dialing it in at the end. If Cleveland comes back, I feel great. If not, less so. I do feel better at this point than I did before the season started. Stetz starting at the end of the year and looking good shores up one spot. Getting Harrington back from injury who was listed as a co-Starter to start last year helps. Curran and Gonzales both got some starts this year and Holliday got experience with them. They should also get Brayden Shipp back from his mission. I assume they'll struggle at the beginning of the season, but can hopefully start clicking by midseason. The conference slate will be key. Hopefully they play the better teams late and don't have a week 3 game against an AFA like they did this year.

The DL, it'll be all about creating a pass rush. They are always either top or near the top in sacks, but they lose a ton of that this year, and there isn't a lot of proven players to rely on. Igiehon is a stud and would have started at almost every other team in the league, but was stuck behind a talented, veteran DL. Hopefully Cravens is all that, because after a lot of talk in the offseason about Matlock, he didn't show much. Same with the DE spot. They have talent in Emmsley and Kelemete. They bring in a couple JC guys, but there is no one that returns that had much experience at DE. They should get Whitney back at the STUD and Washington looked good behind Weaver. That position looks decent, but will take a step back losing an AA/1st round draft pick. They will likely be worse at every position on the DL except, maybe, NT where Scale should shore that up.

Wyoming is the team to look out for. They get everyone back on the lines (like Boise last year), they have an incredibly favorable schedule with AFA, USU, Boise, and SDSU at home. Keeping their QB healthy will be the key for them.