Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

cord cutting: AT&T (formerly DirectTV) Now might shut down ....

29 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

The PREMIER provider of New England Patriots coverage. Sure you want to cancel? 

Depends if they keep the Kraft Asian Spa Network or not.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

43 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

My buddy has YouTube TV and loves it, showed me the UI and it seems pretty slick. Only downside is having a ~30 second delay with live programming. Sucks getting texts about what’s happened just before you get to watch the play. Lol

I had YouTube TV when it first came out till about three months ago, $29 a month was awesome and you simply cast it through your phone as long as there was a shared WiFi signal.  When I moved into my new place Direct TV and internet are free - which is pretty standard in Chicago high rises.  I did notice some quality difference in regards to HD picture when comparing YouTube TV to Direct TV, that may be different now as I just noticed that there now is a YouTube TV app on the TV.  I got rid of YouTube TV a) my Direct TV had more channels and b) YouTube TV jacked up the monthly subscription $20 with zero notice - wasn’t using it anyhow.  

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I cut the chord I think about 5 years ago. I have used PS Vue and had no complaints. Sony pulled the Plug on  PSVue so I switched to Hulu Live which is great too. 

Just be aware that beginning with your next bill it will be $55/month.  Hulu Live didn't even send me an email notification of this.  

5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-tv-now-may-shut-down-according-to-moffettnathanson/

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/at-t-tv-launches-shoves-at-t-now-aside

This service lost nearly 40% of its customers in the last 12 months. 

I have had this service, and I think its the best for cord cutters, bummer

We dropped them when they raised the price an outrageous amount after they have promised we would be grandfathered at the original price for life.  Went back to Xfinity cable when they offered an outrageously low deal for two years including their highest speed internet.  The City of Fort Collins developed their own high-speed internet capability and that is causing some pretty amazing deals to pop up locally.

I've had Hulu Live this past year. $52/month, and includes the regular Hulu service. I've really liked it. Especially for football, since it gets pretty much everything. Except, I think, Pac-12 Network. I'll probably cancel it in January, though. I just don't watch much live TV, and there's no football to watch. But it's a good pickup during football season.

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

I cut the chord I think about 5 years ago. I have used PS Vue and had no complaints. Sony pulled the Plug on  PSVue so I switched to Hulu Live which is great too. 

I have PS Vue still, as it runs through January before they pull the plug.  I am waiting to see what the MW TV contract does before I switch.  Hopefully, they will announce it soon.

I have PSVue, too. Bummed they are bowing out of the streaming race. I have had them since the beginning. I am going to go with either Youtube or Hulu Live, but need to do the trials to see what I like better...only use them for sports really anyways. 

I just dropped psvue.  I really liked it.

Was down to hulu or youtube tv.  Went with youtube just on a whim.  So far it has been great. I  put up an indoor antenna for ota.  was also able to stream espn 3 with a youtube subscription.   no complaints so far.  I have a 100mb fiber connection through century link though

@Bronco7454, I just cancelled SlingTV and went with YouTubeTV, because im thinking that some part of the new conference package would be covered better by youtube, with cbssn, nbcsn, fox1-2, and the mothership network channels. 
Once we find out what the new tv package is, and by whom, that'll let me who to dump and who to keep. I’m 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I have used all the live TV streaming services and for non-sports Philo is the best. For sports  PS Vue was unless you had the higher tier Direct TV Now package. I like Hulu which I have now because I can watch the FCS playoffs as well as all the other games. Bummer it's going up $10 a month. You Tube TV is a great service I only dropped it because it does not have CBS where I'm located even though it's supposed to pick up Santa Fe/ Albuquerque local stations. I can't use OTA because of trees, hills, and mountains. I'm hoping Locast makes it here soon as it's OTA television but streaming and its free. Sling is alright for the price it's just poor quality compared to the others.

@Lobo Amor, that’s odd, i live in East Tijeras, heavily wooded area. I get all the ABQ stations.

What i really like about YouTubeTV, is that i get the local channels from the nearest market they cover. I work in Alaska, so i get the seattle local channels, when I’m at work!9D7460DF-40BA-43E3-AC00-B19F5D66241A.png.5194041adcab6d81e49d1b7ecccb66cf.png

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

@Lobo Amor, that’s odd, i live in East Tijeras, heavily wooded area. I get all the ABQ stations.

What i really like about YouTubeTV, is that i get the local channels from the nearest market they cover. I work in Alaska, so i get the seattle local channels, when I’m at work!9D7460DF-40BA-43E3-AC00-B19F5D66241A.png.5194041adcab6d81e49d1b7ecccb66cf.png

Yeah I get the local news from CBS not it's programming. Maybe I should call and see what's up?

https://www.leichtmanresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/LRG-Press-Release-11-13-2019.pdf

Here is an interesting tidbit of info.   The info in this article includes OTT platforms Sling and ATT Now.   

The takeaway from this is that the cutters aren’t going swarming to the OTT services.  They are only OTA.

ESPN households keeps dropping.

With the estimated 120.6 million TV households.   OTA only households has grown to 35.6 million households and growing each quarter.  It’s a boon for a lot of OTA networks including a sports network we may be dealing with.

5 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

https://www.leichtmanresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/LRG-Press-Release-11-13-2019.pdf

Here is an interesting tidbit of info.   The info in this article includes OTT platforms Sling and ATT Now.   

The takeaway from this is that the cutters aren’t going swarming to the OTT services.  They are only OTA.

ESPN households keeps dropping.

With the estimated 120.6 million TV households.   OTA only households has grown to 35.6 million households and growing each quarter.  It’s a boon for a lot of OTA networks including a sports network we may be dealing with.

Not too surprising.  AT&T Now has been raising prices repeatedly.  Sling has pretty much the lowest-priced options among OTT options (except maybe Philo).

Do you have the subscriber numbers for other OTT platforms like Youtube TV, Hulu TV, etc.?

17 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Not too surprising.  AT&T Now has been raising prices repeatedly.  Sling has pretty much the lowest-priced options among OTT options (except maybe Philo).

Do you have the subscriber numbers for other OTT platforms like Youtube TV, Hulu TV, etc.?

From what I found YouTube Live TV had 1 million at the beginning of the year but looks like they dropped some after the price increase.

Hulu Live TV reportedly has 2 million.

It’ll interesting to see what Disney plans are for it and if they will bundle it with Disney+.

Don’t know how many of the Vue and Now customers are going to other OTT platforms.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

What was your bad experience with Hulu Live?  I've really liked them.

I still think we aren't out of the water yet.  I wish every channel was a la carte so I could pick and choose.

I’ve recently tried Fubo and Hulu, and what INSTANTLY made both unacceptable is the forced commercials. I record all my games, and then blow through ads, halftime, and I can see a game in an hour. Holy mother of Jesus, sitting through 3.5 hours is torture.

FUBO has no ESPN, video quality sucks dong compared to satellite which is always hitting all cylinders....there’s a reason satellite is more because it’s just better. And it’s not even close. And I have an 8 trillion gazillion TB per .1s bite me connection, so that isn’t a problem. 

The Hulu’s are great for people on a tight budget, but let’s be real clear. The bargain streamers are not a better deal. The functionality and quality is inferior, and that’s the savings you’re getting. 

kat.jpg