Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

cord cutting: AT&T (formerly DirectTV) Now might shut down ....

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-tv-now-may-shut-down-according-to-moffettnathanson/

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/at-t-tv-launches-shoves-at-t-now-aside

This service lost nearly 40% of its customers in the last 12 months. 

I have had this service, and I think its the best for cord cutters, bummer

Interesting info there.  Thanks for the links.  Personally I dropped DirecTV about 3 years ago - solely because of the high cost ( I was paying about $125 per month at the time)   This year I used YouTube TV (which is mentioned at the bottom of the first article link you provided) and used that for the regular football season as you get all of the ESPN channels other than ESPN 3 and you also get the CBS Sports Network and the Fox Sports Networks as well as the Big Ten and Big 12 and SEC channels.  Cost is $49.95 per month.

Now that the football regular season is over I have switched back to Sling TV because it has the ESPN channels and the PAC 12 channels.  It costs $35 per month.

The best thing about these streaming TV channels is you can sign up with no contracts and cancel whenever you want.  As opposed to Cable TV and DirecTV and Dish Nework which all require (as far as I can recall) a two year commitment to their service.

Hulu Live streaming also has all of the ESPN channels and the CBS Sports Network for $45 per month but I chose to not sign up for their service after a bad experience with them last year.

P.S. Cable TV, DirecTV and Dish Network are all in danger of becoming the modern day equivalent of the buggy whip - all because of their own greed.

3 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

The best thing about these streaming TV channels is you can sign up with no contracts and cancel whenever you want. 

Now.....give it time.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Hulu Live streaming also has all of the ESPN channels and the CBS Sports Network for $45 per month but I chose to not sign up for their service after a bad experience with them last year.

P.S. Cable TV, DirecTV and Dish Network are all in danger of becoming the modern day equivalent of the buggy whip - all because of their own greed.

What was your bad experience with Hulu Live?  I've really liked them.

I still think we aren't out of the water yet.  I wish every channel was a la carte so I could pick and choose.

The problem I had with Hulu actually occurred a couple of years ago.   I called their # to sign up for it and predictably I got a guy who sounded as if he was in India or Pakistan.  He could barely speak English.  I tried conversing with him for a while and finally gave up and called back the next day - only to get someone else who was equally English language challenged.  I told that person that I wanted to sign up ONLY for Hulu LIVE and NOT for Hulu tv itself.  I told them THREE times - HULU LIVE - NOT HULU.  So of course when I go to watch it what do I have?  Hulu TV - and NOT Hulu Live.  I immediately cancelled my subscription but was still charged the full monthly total for that month - even tho I had had it for only two days.

9 minutes ago, RSF said:

Now.....give it time.

I take it you are a pessimist.   I have been using streaming TV services for what will be 4 years as of next February and it has always been that way.  And it will stay that way - because there are many different streaming services and if one tries to do as you pessimistically suggested here - they will lose all of their customers to the other services.    But I'll let you get back to being pessimistic.

Bye Bye.gif

I've had DirecTV Now (now AT&T TV Now) since close to the beginning... I've actually been sent some new products for Beta testing and for a while it seemed like the best option for streaming TV services for the price.

But lately with all the price increases it's been hard to stay on board. I still get a $25 "early adopter discount" each month, which is probably the only reason I haven't cancelled myself.

I’m going with YouTube TV next year. The only reason I haven’t is because I’m still under contract with Xfinity. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

16 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What was your bad experience with Hulu Live?  I've really liked them.

I still think we aren't out of the water yet.  I wish every channel was a la carte so I could pick and choose.

I'll tell you my bad experience and I why I am cancelling them following bowl season...$15/month in increases over the past year.  $55/month is getting to the point of being better off with a traditional cable/internet package service.  No real need for ESPN until next college football season.  Additionally, Hulu has very limited 4K content.

I am going to Sling Blue, HD antenna for local content and Amazon Prime/Vudu for 4K streaming content after bowl season. 

21 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

I take it you are a pessimist.   I have been using streaming TV services for what will be 4 years as of next February and it has always been that way.  And it will stay that way - because there are many different streaming services and if one tries to do as you pessimistically suggested here - they will lose all of their customers to the other services.    But I'll let you get back to being pessimistic.

You take it wrong.  A pragmatist.  Its always been that way because they are all trying to grab market share.  Streaming is still a VERY new industry.  It's why Disney+ is so cheap right now, and why its bundled (a very cable/satellite concept) with Hulu and ESPN+.  Eventually - when is anybody's guess - things will shake out, some services will live, some will die. And eventually, something resembling steady revenue (and profit) is desirable for a business.  As I said...give it time.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I'll tell you my bad experience and I why I am cancelling them following bowl season...$15/month in increases over the past year.  $55/month is getting to the point of being better off with a traditional cable/internet package service.  No real need for ESPN until next college football season.  Additionally, Hulu has very limited 4K content.

I am going to Sling Blue, HD antenna for local content and Amazon Prime/Vudu for 4K streaming content after bowl season. 

I’m with Philo, Netflix and Antenna.  
only sports channels are what’s on OTA or Non Facebook streaming games.

Didn’t miss not having ESPN this year which is a surprise. I guess I was entertained enough with OTA games (including Stadium).

Yeah, Bowl season may be rough but there are a couple OTA bowl games and 1 OTA bowl on Jan. 1 (Citrus Bowl)

21 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’m going with YouTube TV next year. The only reason I haven’t is because I’m still under contract with Xfinity. 

I switched from 100 Mbps Xfinity internet to 12 Mbps Centurylink internet.

Centurylink streams faster with less interuption than Xfinity did (with the exception of their products).  So beware the throttling if you stay with Comcast for your internet provider.

54 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Centurylink streams faster with less interuption than Xfinity did (with the exception of their products).  So beware the throttling if you stay with Comcast for your internet provider.

Will do, thanks for the tip. In my neighborhood the only two high speed options are Verizon and Comcast.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I am also considering the switch to CenturyLink because it is cheaper than Charter and because Charter continues to raise its internet rates.  Good to know!

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I've had You Tube TV and Direct TV Now and Sling.

I'd rank them:

1. Direct TV Now

2. You Tube TV

3. Sling

I'd do the free trials before you switch to see which one you prefer

We just dropped Spectrum for YouTubeTV.  My main reason for TV is sports and YouTubeTV offers a lot: CBSSN, NBSSN, all the ESPN and Fox channels, including FS1, FS2, FS San Diego, ACC, SEC, BTN.  There's no Pac-12 or BeIN sports, but for $50/month, it's a pretty good set of channels.

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I've had You Tube TV and Direct TV Now and Sling.

I'd rank them:

1. Direct TV Now

2. You Tube TV

3. Sling

I'd do the free trials before you switch to see which one you prefer

I had Sling while living over in London. Worked a little clunky at times but I wonder if part of that had to do with having to go through VPN. My buddy has YouTube TV and loves it, showed me the UI and it seems pretty slick. Only downside is having a ~30 second delay with live programming. Sucks getting texts about what’s happened just before you get to watch the play. Lol

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I had Sling while living over in London. Worked a little clunky at times but I wonder if part of that had to do with having to go through VPN. My buddy has YouTube TV and loves it, showed me the UI and it seems pretty slick. Only downside is having a ~30 second delay with live programming. Sucks getting texts about what’s happened just before you get to watch the play. Lol

I've found the easiest way to avoid getting texts about what just happened in a game is to not have any friends.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The PREMIER provider of New England Patriots coverage. Sure you want to cancel? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.