Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Horowitz vs USA: IG Report

52 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/comey-i-was-wrong-to-rely-on-fisa-process-to-monitor-carter-page/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Former FBI Director James Comey admitted that he was “wrong” for being overconfident in his agency’s use of a surveillance process to obtain warrants to monitor a former member of President Trump’s 2016 campaign.

The internal watchdog for the Justice Department, Michael Horowitz, testified last week about 17 “significant errors and omissions” in the FBI getting orders to monitor Carter Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

“He’s right, I was wrong,” Comey told “Fox News Sunday.”

“I was overconfident in the procedures that the FBI and Justice had built over 20 years. I thought they were robust enough. It’s incredibly hard to get a FISA,” (:blink:) he said. “I was overconfident in those, because he’s right, there was real sloppiness.”

Its too bad there wasn’t, like, a grown up supposed to be in charge or anything :facepalm:

It's pretty phucking hypocritical of you to use this line when you defend Trump at every turn.

30 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Good Lord...

He's really once again trying to claim that Obama was behind it all, or knew that it was going on. 

The president of the spin club should win the troll of the century award.

44 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It's pretty phucking hypocritical of you to use this line when you defend Trump at every turn.

Excuse me, I defend Trump at every turn? I don’t approve of jackasses wanting to burn down every institution we have to get at Trump. The answer to Trump is not be more like Trump. If that’s a defense to you then I guess I’m guilty.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

It must be real inconvenient for you to try and ignore all the criminal activity or borderline criminal activity of your sainted team mates.  When you are trying to prosecute the greatest evil and can't find a real crime!

HA!HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

On 12/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, renoskier said:

On 12/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Excuse me, I defend Trump at every turn? I don’t approve of jackasses wanting to burn down every institution we have to get at Trump. The answer to Trump is not be more like Trump. If that’s a defense to you then I guess I’m guilty.

I would appreciate a reply here @renoskier. You and I have never been at personal cross purposes. I have long looked at you as an interesting voice from the other side that I might not agree with in some cases, and for years the feeling seemed to be mutual. So please, whatever have I done to discredit myself in your eyes, I’d like to hear it, if only for my own consideration.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/horowitz-report-russia-investigation-questions-remaining-928081/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Someone is not telling the truth, vol. 1:

The Horowitz report is not kind to former CIA chief John Brennan.

Brennan in May of 2017 testified before congress that he was “aware of intelligence and information about contacts between Russian officials and U.S. persons” that “served as the basis for the FBI investigation.”

Horowitz contradicts this:

We also asked those FBI officials involved… whether the FBI received any other information, such as from members of the USIC, that the FBI relied upon to predicate Crossfire Hurricane. All of them told us that there was no such information… We also asked [James] Comey and [Andrew] McCabe about then-CIA Director John Brennan’s statements… Comey told us that while Brennan shared intelligence… [he] did not provide any information that predicated or prompted the FBI to open Crossfire Hurricane.

If Brennan was not the “basis” for Crossfire Hurricane, his testimony was wrong. Alternatively, if Brennan did pass information that contributed to starting Crossfire Hurricane, that would mean senior FBI officials were not truthful with Horowitz. Something isn’t right here.

Someone is not telling the truth, vol. 2:

In a related problem, Horowitz on pages 75-76 of his report says former Attorney General Loretta Lynch told his office that, “in the spring of 2016, Comey and [former Deputy Director Andrew] McCabe pulled her aside and provided information about Carter Page, which Lynch believed they learned from another member of the Intelligence Community.”

Comey and McCabe both denied this, telling Horowitz they did not remember being told about Carter Page. With regard to Lynch’s recollection of a conversation, Comey said “he did not think it was possible for such conversation to have occurred in the spring of 2016 because the FBI did not receive the [tip from Alexander Downer] concerning Papadopoulos until late July.”

To recap: the Attorney General recalled being told about Page by the FBI in the spring of 2016 and believed the information came from another intelligence service. The former head of the CIA testified he gave information to the FBI that was the “basis” for Crossfire Hurricane. Top FBI officials said they didn’t remember any of this, and insisted the investigation began with the Downer tip in July of 2016.

Three different stories, still, from officials at the CIA, FBI, and Justice Department.

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I would appreciate a reply here @renoskier. You and I have never been at personal cross purposes. I have long looked at you as an interesting voice from the other side that I might not agree with in some cases, and for years the feeling seemed to be mutual. So please, whatever have I done to discredit myself in your eyes, I’d like to hear it, if only for my own consideration.

People are friggin losing it over Trump.  Reason is a thing of the past for some.....the most tolerant folks in politcs are not so tolerant anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/secretive-surveillance-court-rebukes-fbi-over-handling-of-surveillance-of-trump-aide-11576615299

WASHINGTON—A secret surveillance court issued a rare public order on Tuesday rebuking the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its handling of applications to wiretap Carter Page, a one-time Trump campaign foreign-policy adviser whose monitoring by the government has become the subject of significant public controversy.

Judge Rosemary Collyer, the presiding judge of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, called the FBI’s actions “antithetical to the heightened duty of candor” owed to the court by government agents. 

“The frequency with which representations made by FBI personnel turned out to be unsupported or contradicted by information in their possession, and with which they withheld information detrimental to their case, calls into question whether information contained in other FBI applications is reliable,” Judge Collyer wrote, referring to the behavior of FBI personnel criticized in a recent Justice Department watchdog report. 

Judge Collyer ordered the Justice Department to explain by Jan. 10 what steps it was taking to prevent such lapses in the future. She also indicated that she planned to release more secret material about the case in the coming weeks on the court’s public docket, offering the possibility of additional insight into the government’s most secret surveillance programs.

Since the report, several senators, including Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), have said they may want to pursue reforms. Some surveillance provisions are up for renewal in Congress in March, presenting an opportunity for legislative changes.

The FBI has already said it planned to make several changes in the wake of the inspector general report, including overhauling its surveillance warrant process as well as and its confidential human informant program. It also said it would take disciplinary action if warranted, as the inspector general referred certain FBI employees for possible disciplinary measures. It didn’t extensively detail other planned reformsto its internal procedures.

@mugtang the article is behind a paywall. If this could be a problem for you I can delete and paraphrase it.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/horowitz-report-russia-investigation-questions-remaining-928081/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Someone is not telling the truth, vol. 1:

The Horowitz report is not kind to former CIA chief John Brennan.

Brennan in May of 2017 testified before congress that he was “aware of intelligence and information about contacts between Russian officials and U.S. persons” that “served as the basis for the FBI investigation.”

Horowitz contradicts this:

We also asked those FBI officials involved… whether the FBI received any other information, such as from members of the USIC, that the FBI relied upon to predicate Crossfire Hurricane. All of them told us that there was no such information… We also asked [James] Comey and [Andrew] McCabe about then-CIA Director John Brennan’s statements… Comey told us that while Brennan shared intelligence… [he] did not provide any information that predicated or prompted the FBI to open Crossfire Hurricane.

If Brennan was not the “basis” for Crossfire Hurricane, his testimony was wrong. Alternatively, if Brennan did pass information that contributed to starting Crossfire Hurricane, that would mean senior FBI officials were not truthful with Horowitz. Something isn’t right here.

Someone is not telling the truth, vol. 2:

In a related problem, Horowitz on pages 75-76 of his report says former Attorney General Loretta Lynch told his office that, “in the spring of 2016, Comey and [former Deputy Director Andrew] McCabe pulled her aside and provided information about Carter Page, which Lynch believed they learned from another member of the Intelligence Community.”

Comey and McCabe both denied this, telling Horowitz they did not remember being told about Carter Page. With regard to Lynch’s recollection of a conversation, Comey said “he did not think it was possible for such conversation to have occurred in the spring of 2016 because the FBI did not receive the [tip from Alexander Downer] concerning Papadopoulos until late July.”

To recap: the Attorney General recalled being told about Page by the FBI in the spring of 2016 and believed the information came from another intelligence service. The former head of the CIA testified he gave information to the FBI that was the “basis” for Crossfire Hurricane. Top FBI officials said they didn’t remember any of this, and insisted the investigation began with the Downer tip in July of 2016.

Three different stories, still, from officials at the CIA, FBI, and Justice Department.

Someone in DC is lying to save their skin or someone else's skin?  Say it ain't so!  We don't care about how this all went down.  What is important is that we get Trump at all costs.  All costs.

Our government acted like a banana republic and no one cares.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/footnotes-in-watchdog-report-indicate-fbi-knew-of-risk-of-russian-disinformation-in-the-steele-dossier/

The FBI was warned sections of the controversial Steele dossier could have been part of a "Russian disinformation campaign to denigrate U.S. foreign relations," according to newly declassified footnotes from a government watchdog report...

...Footnote 350 in the IG report addresses the FBI's knowledge of Russian contacts with Steele and the potential for disinformation.  Steele had "frequent contacts with representatives for multiple Russian oligarchs, we identified reporting the Crossfire Hurricane team received from (redacted) indicating the potential for Russian disinformation influencing Steele's election reporting."

The footnote also indicates that warnings to the FBI's Russia probe became more pronounced over time.

"The (redacted) stated that it did not have high confidence in this subset of Steele's reporting and assessed that the referenced subset was part of a Russian disinformation campaign to denigrate US foreign relations."

Footnote 302 relates to the FBI's efforts to verify information contained in the Steele dossier, commissioned by the DNC through opposition research firm Fusion GPS. 

"According to a document circulated among Crossfire Hurricane team members and supervisors in early October 2016, Person 1 had historical contact with persons and entities suspected of being linked to RIS (Russian Intel)......In addition, in late December 2016, Department Attorney Bruce Ohr told SSA 1 that he had met with Glenn Simpson (Fusion GPS)  and that Simpson had assessed that Person 1 was a RIS (Russian intel) officer who was central in connecting Trump to Russia."

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/footnotes-in-watchdog-report-indicate-fbi-knew-of-risk-of-russian-disinformation-in-the-steele-dossier/

The FBI was warned sections of the controversial Steele dossier could have been part of a "Russian disinformation campaign to denigrate U.S. foreign relations," according to newly declassified footnotes from a government watchdog report...

...Footnote 350 in the IG report addresses the FBI's knowledge of Russian contacts with Steele and the potential for disinformation.  Steele had "frequent contacts with representatives for multiple Russian oligarchs, we identified reporting the Crossfire Hurricane team received from (redacted) indicating the potential for Russian disinformation influencing Steele's election reporting."

The footnote also indicates that warnings to the FBI's Russia probe became more pronounced over time.

"The (redacted) stated that it did not have high confidence in this subset of Steele's reporting and assessed that the referenced subset was part of a Russian disinformation campaign to denigrate US foreign relations."

Footnote 302 relates to the FBI's efforts to verify information contained in the Steele dossier, commissioned by the DNC through opposition research firm Fusion GPS. 

"According to a document circulated among Crossfire Hurricane team members and supervisors in early October 2016, Person 1 had historical contact with persons and entities suspected of being linked to RIS (Russian Intel)......In addition, in late December 2016, Department Attorney Bruce Ohr told SSA 1 that he had met with Glenn Simpson (Fusion GPS)  and that Simpson had assessed that Person 1 was a RIS (Russian intel) officer who was central in connecting Trump to Russia."

But but collusion 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

But but collusion 

I hope whoever planted this in steele’s network got the high order of vodka merit award or whatever they do there.