Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Harsin calls out Thompson and MWC leadership.

1 minute ago, Boise fan said:

giphy.gif

No not really.  Just insight as to why the MW and its athletic departments are not breaking into tears about this.  

Boise really needs to handle their own PR and lobbying.  Disagree with me if you want, but I agree with your coach and it was quite obvious this year. 

21 minutes ago, slappy said:

No not really.  Just insight as to why the MW and its athletic departments are not breaking into tears about this.  

Boise really needs to handle their own PR and lobbying.  Disagree with me if you want, but I agree with your coach and it was quite obvious this year. 

Yes really.  Other athletic departments recognize the value of BSU. The original deal Boise had has been modified, by the conference.  Not our problem that you're still butt hurt.

If the MWC wants to increase its brand value they need to continue winning against P5 teams like many did this year, and invest in their own programs. 

Hair needs to be replaced because he represents the status quo for too long.  And the champion of the MW deserves a better opponent/setting than a P5 5th place or worse. 

The MWC presidents need to stop being complacent and start talking - routinely - about the ridiculous way FBS is allowed to be run. If it's a league, it should be a league - top to bottom.  Not this layered class bullshit.

At least we're not in as bad a situation as the Sun Belt - their champion had a freaking banner year - finished ranked 20th, and will bowl against UAB.  Ugh.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

When SDSU won the conf back to back they faced Cinci in Hawaii and then Houston in Las Vegas. Won both...but it's shameful that the conf champ doesn't have a P5 bowl opponent guaranteed and when we do it's a team with a record of 6-6 of 7-5 usually. The conf champ has had 10 or more wins every year since the CCG started, if Hair et al can't sell a better match up we should get new blood in and see if they can do better because it would be hard to do worse.

Love this.  Wish Harsin would go to the Rocky Long school of I don't give a damn and unload a bit more.

In all honesty it wasn't Boise's fault.  It was the fault of the other schools in the conference, namely SDSU.  Had we had even a half decent offense we may not have lost a game or at most one game and it would have been a ranked 11-1 Boise vs a ranked 12-0/11-1 SDSU and the winner would have likely gotten the cotton bowl bid.

5 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

When SDSU won the conf back to back they faced Cinci in Hawaii and then Houston in Las Vegas. Won both...but it's shameful that the conf champ doesn't have a P5 bowl opponent guaranteed and when we do it's a team with a record of 6-6 of 7-5 usually. The conf champ has had 10 or more wins every year since the CCG started, if Hair et al can't sell a better match up we should get new blood in and see if they can do better because it would be hard to do worse.

This time every year it's the same things, a bunch of delusional fans bittching about shitty bowl tie ins and demanding something be done.

How would you go about getting a better P5 opponent for any of the MWC bowl games. From a P5 perspective, what's in it for them? BTW, Washington, with a 7-5 record, is 4th in the Pac 12 this year. 

And as many times as someone mentions: "it's all about demographics", and everyone nods in agreement that they understand demographics, folks still complain. 

It's all about demographics!

Harsin just said Hair needs to be fired because a 12-1 BSU got left out..

God bless him..

Hate to break to it us all, but Aresco > Hair ever single day, for ever.

Dr. Bob would've been great, but Hair just doesn't doo anything, whatsoever.  Besides announce that Gonzaga wouldn't be joining the MW before their camp even knew that was the case...  I'm pretty sure, Hair pissed his pants and tried to call out the Zags for going for a money grab, but they were still considering best offers..

All time worst commish ever, and I hope he gets punched in the face today.

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

This time every year it's the same things, a bunch of delusional fans bittching about shitty bowl tie ins and demanding something be done.

How would you go about getting a better P5 opponent for any of the MWC bowl games. From a P5 perspective, what's in it for them? BTW, Washington, with a 7-5 record, is 4th in the Pac 12 this year. 

And as many times as someone mentions: "it's all about demographics", and everyone nods in agreement that they understand demographics, folks still complain. 

It's all about demographics!

UW was 5th/6th in the PAC, same record as ASU, didn't play head to head, they finished 3rd in the North with a losing conf record.

image.png.092336db9974a395ca7c95320f7736fe.png

Boise has had very good bowl tv ratings, with Fresno, SDSU, and AFA also drawing decent for their bowls. I'm not saying we should all play the best of the P5...I'm saying sending the top 3 MW schools to play MAC and Sunbelt schools with 7 and 8 wins reflects on a poor job of selling the quality of the top 3 bowl eligible teams in this conf year in year out...

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

UW was 5th/6th in the PAC, same record as ASU, didn't play head to head, they finished 3rd in the North with a losing conf record.

image.png.092336db9974a395ca7c95320f7736fe.png

Boise has had very good bowl tv ratings, with Fresno, SDSU, and AFA also drawing decent for their bowls. I'm not saying we should all play the best of the P5...I'm saying sending the top 3 MW schools to play MAC and Sunbelt schools with 7 and 8 wins reflects on a poor job of selling the quality of the top 3 bowl eligible teams in this conf year in year out...

I'd say they were tied for 4th with ASU and Cal. All 4-5 in conference, 7-5 overall.

No shit, but it's the same thing every year. Our bowl tie-ins are what they are and no amount of bitching is going to change our western demographic situation.

I just asked another poster, would you rather play a 7-5 P5 school or a 10-3 G5 school? Those are the choices.

12 hours ago, slappy said:

A loss to byu really hurts programs chances to get a NY6 game.  Better off losing a MW game.  Worse than Temple

Hard to disagree with you there. BYU was a bad loss. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Harsin just said Hair needs to be fired because a 12-1 BSU got left out..

God bless him..

Hate to break to it us all, but Aresco > Hair ever single day, for ever.

Dr. Bob would've been great, but Hair just doesn't doo anything, whatsoever.  Besides announce that Gonzaga wouldn't be joining the MW before their camp even knew that was the case...  I'm pretty sure, Hair pissed his pants and tried to call out the Zags for going for a money grab, but they were still considering best offers..

All time worst commish ever, and I hope he gets punched in the face today.

Firing Thompson won't make any difference.  But I have exactly no problem with him getting canned.  Still, just can't work up any sympathy for Boise and their horrible fate.  They get the most money and the most tv appearances.  Boise is a great program and built it all up on their own.  Shoulda stayed in the AAC when you had the chance..

3 hours ago, slappy said:

I don’t think anyone will feel sorry for Boise State.  When you insist on deals with partners that put yourself in an advantageous position with your peers, hmm nobody really cares.  Boise State should be promoting itself.  The AD and president failed.  Plain and simple.  

I hope you see it the same if and when Wyoming does well and the commissioner sits on his lazy dead ass and does nothing. 

BIG MOUNTAIN CONFERENCE 

Air Force

Boise State

Colorado State

Nebraska

New Mexico 

Oklahoma 

San Diego State

Texas

Utah State

Wyoming 

If he spoken after beating Washington that would have held more water for me, also BSU lost a game to a 7-5 BYU team that is why you are not in a better bowl, with that said many of the MWC schools most of which are in the western division need to step up. The commitment is not there.

Actually a conference made up with the following might work, for travel etc. Will not happen, but there are travel partners 8 -10 football games and 20 game basketball schedule

Boise State

Utah State

Colorado St.

Air Force.

Wyoming

San Diego St'

Fresno St.

UNR

UNLV 

Houston

SMU.

Two thoughts about Harsin’s presser where he called out the AD and Mountain West.

1. He is absolutely justified in complaining about the shitty out of conference play, program investment by the rest of the MWC, and lack of savviness by the commissioner with regard to bowl matchups and overall promotion of the conference. He is also spot on by implying that Curt Apsey is a useless toolbag with no spine or creativity.

2. But he should also man up to the fact that his team was in the driver’s seat and they choked, like they do every year under his leadership, to an inferior opponent. That BYU debacle is on him. Not on Craig Thompson, the MWC schools, or Curt Apsey. That was a bad loss, really bad. No team deserves an NY6 bid with a loss to a team like that.

10 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Two thoughts about Harsin’s presser where he called out the AD and Mountain West.

1. He is absolutely justified in complaining about the shitty out of conference play, program investment by the rest of the MWC, and lack of savviness by the commissioner with regard to bowl matchups and overall promotion of the conference. He is also spot on by implying that Curt Apsey is a useless toolbag with no spine or creativity.

2. But he should also man up to the fact that his team was in the driver’s seat and they choked, like they do every year under his leadership, to an inferior opponent. That BYU debacle is on him. Not on Craig Thompson, the MWC schools, or Curt Apsey. That was a bad loss, really bad. No team deserves an NY6 bid with a loss to a team like that.

The conference did much better in it's OOC this year. Boise barely beat a horrible FSU and average Marshall team, lost to an average BYU team and played Portland State. This year's 12-1 version of BSU had a hard time handling CSU, SJSU, and Wyoming, so it's not like BSU was mowing down their opponents. If he thinks BSU got jobbed by playing UW, he's nuts. The b.s. excuse about taking away from the kids with the Peterson-BSU storyline is just that. It's something that the rest of the country is interested in seeing, frankly, so to talk about marketing this team and then turn around and criticize one of the best storylines of the bowl season is silly. 

6 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

My comment to this board would be, look what I have to work with.  Gimme something guys so I can put the conference in a better position.

And the response is easy. Hair has already had several chances to put the conference in a better position - inviting Boise earlier than he did, Wichita State, Gonzaga - and screwed all of them up. He is also losing the marketing battle with the AAC by a landslide.

This conference gave Hair plenty to work with this season - arguably Boise's best season in a while, Air Force and Hawaii's major turnarounds, all the wins against P5 opponents - and he did absolutely nothing with any of it.

At this point, Hair could have Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State in his conference and still find a way to make the media view it as third-rate.

0mK6pGK.png