Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Harsin calls out Thompson and MWC leadership.

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

This time every year it's the same things, a bunch of delusional fans bittching about shitty bowl tie ins and demanding something be done.

How would you go about getting a better P5 opponent for any of the MWC bowl games. From a P5 perspective, what's in it for them? BTW, Washington, with a 7-5 record, is 4th in the Pac 12 this year. 

And as many times as someone mentions: "it's all about demographics", and everyone nods in agreement that they understand demographics, folks still complain. 

It's all about demographics!

So much this.  Demographics are a huge problem for the MW.  No East Coast bowls want to partner with a conference that can't even get fans to the bowls close to their homes.  

MW teams need to win and fans need to support their programs through money, attendance, and viewership.  Boise is really the only school that does this.  Every other MW school needs to step their game up before bitching too much.  

I agree that Hair needs replaced just because I feel he has had his shot and the conference needs new blood, but really the new commissioner won't do much either because this is what there is to work with:

1.  Low population or fan support for the majority of the conference.  

2.  Teams haven't won at a sustainable rate besides Boise.  

Some of you fans advocating for Boise to leave are idiots. The idea is to KEEP the best programs, not lose them. The MW was down this year overall, we didn't help Boise State by sucking. Instead of talking about how Boise should have just stayed in the AAC, why don't we talk about how to have more success within our own conference so that we can have more schools like Boise State. We are one or two schools away from being the Sunbelt 2.0...losing Boise State would be disastrous for this conference.

1MXnKMV.jpg

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Have you heard any pitches between conference commissioners from any conference and bowl representatives? Not all promotion takes place on a national level or in the media.   

Agreed. And yet there is talk about the "P6" on ESPN, and the strength of the AAC.  Perception is very powerful, even if it is a veneer. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 minute ago, Boise fan said:

Agreed. And yet there is talk about the "P6" on ESPN, and the strength of the AAC.  Perception is very powerful, even if it is a veneer. 

They also had the luxury of a top 20 matchup on ABC that looked like a legit game.  I don't know if any two schools in the MW could have duplicated the atmosphere.  Not at least where all 12 schools are right now.  Boise and somebody maybe, but I don't see it.  MW fans don't travel well.  

The AAC has population on their side as well.  More eyeballs, more money going towards their programs.  

33 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Your reaction to UAB is the same reaction that every P5 school pretty much has to facing any G5 team in a bowl.  

Only because everyone must play under a skewed system that lays out classes in order to profit a small group of schools.

Level the playing field and their dominance ends. Then a UAB can potentially grow into a powerhouse like any other school. 

Forcing unwarranted handicaps on half the league is the problem with FBS. 

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

They also had the luxury of a top 20 matchup on ABC that looked like a legit game.  I don't know if any two schools in the MW could have duplicated the atmosphere.  Not at least where all 12 schools are right now.  Boise and somebody maybe, but I don't see it.  MW fans don't travel well.  

The AAC has population on their side as well.  More eyeballs, more money going towards their programs.  

You mean like the 2009 TCU BSU matchup in the Fiesta bowl?

Or the Nevada BSU matchup that the Wolfpack won after two missed BSU field goals?

I'm sure there must have been a few MW games between Utah, TCU, and/or BYU that drew in a national audience. 

10 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Only because everyone must play under a skewed system that lays out classes in order to profit a small group of schools.

Level the playing field and their dominance ends. Then a UAB can potentially grow into a powerhouse like any other school. 

Forcing unwarranted handicaps on half the league is the problem with FBS. 

If you expand the playoffs, it really wouldn't change a whole lot.  Where will UAB all of the sudden get money to participate in the arms race?  Do they have bag men?  A lot of the same schools would still be on top with an expanded playoff because they have the money, tradition, and connections, but I'd like to see the playoffs expanded to see what happens 

1 minute ago, Boise fan said:

You mean like the 2009 TCU BSU matchup in the Fiesta bowl?

Or the Nevada BSU matchup that the Wolfpack won after two missed BSU field goals?

I'm sure there must have been a few MW games between Utah, TCU, and/or BYU that drew in a national audience. 

I didn't realize that TCU, Utah, and BYU were in the Mountain West.  You missed the part where I said where all 12 schools are at right now.  The old MW had that cache and the programs that earned it.  The current MW does not besides Boise.  The potential is there for the MW but so far the conference, schools, and most importantly fans have not shown a commitment to get the conference there.  

40 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

I think Boise should try to join the AAC again.  I always thought it was a mistake leaving.  

49 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Meh. I don't think it was the P6 crap. AAC had four teams with one loss at week 11, much later in the season than the Mountain West.

Bottom line is: Boise takes care of BYU, they're in. If Air Force takes care of Navy, Boise is in. If San Diego State takes care of Nevada and Hawaii, then either they or Boise are in.

mousetrapteamwork.jpg

The AAC is more balanced than the MWC and has advantages the MWC
will never overcome like population, eastern time zone, enrollment, etc.

Memphis will be the third AAC team to play in a NY6 game. I am hoping for a 4th AAC team to play in the NY6 game next season if Houston doesn't. Demonstrating that kind of balance will help the brand.

It could easily be Cincinnati or SMU. SMU improved this season and may do it again next season. It is getting a lot of transfers as is UH. Some Texas kids want to come home from P5 schools and the portal facilitates it.

The MWC needs a commissioner that pushes its members and it
better happen soon.

18 hours ago, aztech said:

Thompson is worthless.  Harsin is right and unfortunately the presidents don't really give a damn about sports.  Otherwise they would have fired Hair's ass long ago.  The better the bowl the more prestige to the winner and it would reflect in the season ending polls.  Winning these toilet bowls that we have doesn't do squat, which is pretty much what Harsin meant.  

+ infinity

Juxtapose Harsin's comment about not wanting to be part of any football entity satisfied with just "maintaining" what it has accomplished with OUR guy who never criticizes the Molehill Worst and basically said Sunday that Aztec fans are a bunch of crybabies who don't appreciate Rocky for taking SDSU to 10 consecutive bowl appearances and something, something, something. As if we're supposed to hold a parade because our team is playing in yet another crappy bowl game against yet another non-power conference opponent.

(BTW, I know many Aztecs hate Brady Hoke but I guarantee that had he lost three conference games and failed to even get to the MWC title game this year that what came out of Rocky's mouth wouldn't have come out of his.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I didn't realize that TCU, Utah, and BYU were in the Mountain West.  You missed the part where I said where all 12 schools are at right now.  The old MW had that cache and the programs that earned it.  The current MW does not besides Boise.  The potential is there for the MW but so far the conference, schools, and most importantly fans have not shown a commitment to get the conference there.  

San Diego State has the most potential to match Boise State, especially if/when that new stadium gets built. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Seems to me like they're playing better on the field....that's what they're doing. 

Thank you.

The Pea6 stuff is just nonsense and would make Aresco a total laughingstock but for his conference having a football school as good as Boise State (UCF), two football programs (Memphis and Houston) better than the MWC's two next best football programs (SDSU and Fresno) and four other schools (USF, Temple, Navy and SMU) which have also had double-digit win seasons in the last five years whereas the MWC has just two (AFA and USU).

The AAC will never become a power conference but MWC presidents and their idiot commissioner are just a bunch of Neros fiddling away while little by little the AAC increases the separation between them.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, slappy said:

I think Boise should try to join the AAC again.  I always thought it was a mistake leaving.  

Had the AAC been actually serious about forming a western division, it may have worked out.  But I don't think BSU really liked the idea of parking their non-FB sports in some dustbin.  Don't think SUDS did either.  Had AF, SUDS, BSU & BYU been able to come to an agreement that made financial sense, it would have happened.  At the time, the AAC could not get that deal together.

IMO BSU would prefer a strong division out west instead of joining some eastern group.  The Big East should have stayed East, and taken from the MAC/Sun Belt.

The West should have formed a group including a few Texas schools as well as a core in the Mountain time zone and Pacific Time zones.  Had the WAC survived and backfilled with schools like the Montana's, Eastern Washington etc., a second powerful western conference could have emerged (MWC), and those schools facing being without a home would still have a western FBS league to call home (WAC).

Hell if you really want to be forthright, had Utah and TCU stayed put, the MWC probably would have become the "P6".  But the tiered system everyone played under ensures the underdogs jump at any chance, and the others have their best coaches pilfered to bolster the haves over the have nots.

Again, the system is skewed, and needs to be destroyed and replaced with something that makes rational sense.  Only way that happens is if half the FBS schools who are second class citizens demand that they stop being treated that way.  I honestly don't get why the school presidents put up with the bullshit.  But they do.

10 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

San Diego State has the most potential to match Boise State, especially if/when that new stadium gets built. 

Yes but I don't see it happening with Rocky Long at the helm. Rocky clearly lacks the requisite fire in his belly at this point in his career.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Had the AAC been actually serious about forming a western division, it may have worked out.  But I don't think BSU really liked the idea of parking their non-FB sports in some dustbin.  Don't think SUDS did either.  Had AF, SUDS, BSU & BYU been able to come to an agreement that made financial sense, it would have happened.  At the time, the AAC could not get that deal together.

When push came to shove, the AAC presidents thought small time. WIthout rehashing what I've said several times over the years, it began with UCF and SMU advocating for the admission of Too-Lame and Aresco convincing the rest that was a good idea.

Best conference commissioner, Jeff? Mike Aresco? Not by a long shot; not even close. Simply not as totally useless as Hairball Thompson.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

When push came to shove, the AAC presidents thought small time. WIthout rehashing what I've said several times over the years, it began with UCF and SMU advocating for the admission of Too-Lame and Aresco convincing the rest that was a good idea.

Best conference commissioner, Jeff? Mike Aresco? Not by a long shot; not even close. Simply not as totally useless as Hairball Thompson.

Instead the WAC died, and the AAC became C-USA 2.0, while the MWC became WAC 2.0.  Worst game of musical chairs ever.  Louisville couldn't bail fast enough.  Cincy, USF & UConn would have jumped without a second thought had they the option.

The only real solution under the current powers-that-be would be for a few western schools of the AAC to split and join a few of the schools from the MWC to form a strong 2nd western conference.  The rest could be folded into a revitalized WAC, and the AAC could be the true new Big East it aspired to be.

Or burn the house down and start again from scratch with a level playing field.  Lol. Like that's going to happen.

12 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Honestly I have more of a problem with Boise opponent in the bowl game than Memphis getting picked over Boise for the Cotton bowl.

I mean lets be honest Memphis had two wins over a ranked 10-3 Cincy and one over a ranked 9-2 Navy. There loss @Temple was similar (in terms of opponents quality)  as Boise's. 

Boise either needed to beat BYU OR have Air Force beat Navy (ie would mean AF would be ranked and Navy unranked) AND SDSU beat Hawaii. Boise could have made a much better case with a ranked 11-1 AF win on their sch and beating a ranked (or close to it) 10-2 SDSU in the champ game. 

But having the MW champ end up playing a 7-5 Pac-12 team in the bowl game freakin sucks. I mean our champ is going to be ranked most years and the years we DONT make the Access bowl it would be nice to get a little better than a middle of the road Pac-12 team. I know it is not gonna change but it still sucks that this is best the MW can do. 

agree the MWC champs should have a stronger opponent. For a while looked like 6-6 Cal even worse.