Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Harsin calls out Thompson and MWC leadership.

I've got a gut feeling that Washington will beat you guys in the Las Vegas bowl. Since it's Petersen's last game as their head coach, I think the Huskies will be pumped up to send him out with a win. But I hope you win because you're representing the Mountain West. Good luck.

17 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It didn't sound like Harsin wanted Thompson to promote the MW..He wants Thompson to promote Boise alone...Boise messed up coming back to the MW..Nobody to blame but themselves.

Of course Harsin's focused on the team he's coaching, but Hair did nothing to promote Air Force or Hawaii either. The former is especially bad because Air Force should have been ranked in the CFP by now.

0mK6pGK.png

15 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Of course Harsin's focused on the team he's coaching, but Hair did nothing to promote Air Force or Hawaii either. The former is especially bad because Air Force should have been ranked in the CFP by now.

How do you know that? None of that plays out in public and you have no idea what Hair did or didn't do to promote anyone. 

Hair sucks, but this conversation and thread don't exist if Bachemeier doesn't get hurt, and sometimes them's the breaks.     And the reality is while the MWC had a large chunk of P5 victories the advanced metrics (S&P+, FPI, etc) very definitively had the AAC in front as the better conference, unlike 2018.  And the committee absolutely weights that heavily. IIRC their analytics #s are from Sportsource....but yeah.

18 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

How do you know that? None of that plays out in public and you have no idea what Hair did or didn't do to promote anyone. 

Isn't the point of promotion to make it public?

Aresco seems to be doing just that.  Even ESPN commentators are mentioning the "P6" bullchit.   What has hair done? No one knows because his position is to "let the teams speak for themselves" or words to that affect.

It isn't working.  Time to send him packing and get a better conference commish.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 hour ago, crixus said:

I've got a gut feeling that Washington will beat you guys in the Las Vegas bowl. Since it's Petersen's last game as their head coach, I think the Huskies will be pumped up to send him out with a win. But I hope you win because you're representing the Mountain West. Good luck.

Exactly.

Playing a mediocre Washington team is a disaster scenario for the conference.

Washington players are going to fight for their coach and - if they torch MWC Champion Boise - that will be an awful statement on the SOS of the league (and of Boise as a viable alternative to a 2-win Cincinnati) which won’t help future NY6 selections.

2 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Whatever he's doing clearly isn't working compared to the AAC's approach.

Seems to me like they're playing better on the field....that's what they're doing. 

10 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Whatever he's doing clearly isn't working compared to the AAC's approach.

Wait, do we like the "P6" promotion now? 

Other than performing better on the field than the MWC, what's "working" better for the AAC?

43 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Aresco seems to be doing just that.  Even ESPN commentators are mentioning the "P6" bullchit.   What has hair done? No one knows because his position is to "let the teams speak for themselves" or words to that affect.

It isn't working.  Time to send him packing and get a better conference commish.

Have you heard any pitches between conference commissioners from any conference and bowl representatives? Not all promotion takes place on a national level or in the media.   

40 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Wait, do we like the "P6" promotion now? 

Other than performing better on the field than the MWC, what's "working" better for the AAC?

No sweetheart deal for any of its members?

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

Wrong.  It's well past time to fire Thompson.

5 minutes ago, sofork said:

I never hear Thompson out there promoting the MWC.  Maybe I missed something.

Beginning of the season when we were winning against P5 schools before the MW started losing to AAC teams and other OOC games.

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Hair sucks, but this conversation and thread don't exist if Bachemeier doesn't get hurt, and sometimes them's the breaks.     And the reality is while the MWC had a large chunk of P5 victories the advanced metrics (S&P+, FPI, etc) very definitively had the AAC in front as the better conference, unlike 2018.  And the committee absolutely weights that heavily. IIRC their analytics #s are from Sportsource....but yeah.

Thanks for sharing this info....maybe they use it with different weighting?

http://sportsourceanalytics.com/rankingtool/?mode=advanced&winp=50&sos=50&scoringoffense=50&scoringdefense=50&rushingoffense=50&rushingdefense=50&passingoffense=50&passingdefense=50&totaloffense=50&totaldefense=50&turnovermargin=50&scoringoffenserel=50&scoringdefenserel=50&totaloffenserel=50&totaldefenserel=50&oppp=50&dppp=50&thirddownoffense=50&thirddowndefense=50&rankSubmit=Rank+Teams!

image.png.b49ac5c8b28fa3f6a780703380f18889.png

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I'm not sure how the data is presented or couched to the committee, or even that those stats/weightings are the sum total of what is shown to them. I just remember reading somewhere that the info sheets/data they see in the meeting room, metris-wise is provided by SSA; it's not FPI, S&P+, Massey, etc. 

My guess is you're right and they tweak/weight it a certain way....but even as presented in that picture with the default weightings it's very notable that the AAC has, for instance, seven teams inside the top 50.  No other G5 has more than two, and the MAC has just one. 

7 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Hair needs to be replaced because he represents the status quo for too long.  And the champion of the MW deserves a better opponent/setting than a P5 5th place or worse. 

The MWC presidents need to stop being complacent and start talking - routinely - about the ridiculous way FBS is allowed to be run. If it's a league, it should be a league - top to bottom.  Not this layered class bullshit.

At least we're not in as bad a situation as the Sun Belt - their champion had a freaking banner year - finished ranked 20th, and will bowl against UAB.  Ugh.

Your reaction to UAB is the same reaction that every P5 school pretty much has to facing any G5 team in a bowl.