Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise fan

The Way FBS Playoff Should BE

If it played like FCS, it'd be so much better.  And they're leaving a ton of money on the table not doing it.  Not to mention if there were no P5 and G5 but one FBS league, then there would be more parity across the board, and hence better football overall.  Even with the handicaps, a number of G5 teams are simply better than quite a lot of P5 teams.  Ah well, still it's fun to imagine how it should be:

Based on the rankings with the following modifications:

All conference champions get an auto bid.  Ranked conference champions get priority auto bids.  No more than 4 teams from any conference can participate. Let's face it a lot of the SEC's high rankings is bullshit, based on inter-conference play. That crap has gotta stop.  Anyhow, I digress.

1347300865_20-teamCFBPlayoff-page-001.jpg.f69aa9b00083b42e600b75624c8ce1c0.jpg

Discuss! 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

I’d be ok with a 16 team playoff.  10 auto bids and 6 at-large. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Georgia would be pissed.  Having to play AT App State might be too much for Dawg fans.

And yet Georgia lost to South Carolina.

South Carolina lost to.....you guessed it, Appalachian State. :hmmm:

So the Dawg fans can suck it up and play the spot they earned. 

:D

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

And yet Georgia lost to South Carolina.

South Carolina lost to.....you guessed it, Appalachian State. :hmmm:

So the Dawg fans can suck it up and play the spot they earned. 

:D

I totally approve of that, btw.  

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’d be ok with a 16 team playoff.  10 auto bids and 6 at-large. 

I like it. It would generate more interest and money than the current system. You could play the first two rounds on the higher seeds home fields to minimize travel. Eliminate the conference championship games and it would only add one more week to the season. 

The powers of college football will NEVER let that happen. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

34 minutes ago, Warbow said:

The powers of college football will NEVER let that happen. 

Obviously.  It would dilute the power of the P5

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

All that to have 2 sec teams, a BIG team and either a PAC or Big-12 team in the final four?

I prefer bowl season.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

41 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

All that to have 2 sec teams, a BIG team and either a PAC or Big-12 team in the final four?

I prefer bowl season.

1. The amount of money generated from a true playoff would make it RAIN.

2. If all conference champions had auto bids to the post season playoff, it would affect recruiting.  It would bring....gasp.....parity to the league.

3. As parity grew between the schools, the P5 strangle hold on premium media deals would loosen.  Networks want to fill time with games that draw viewers.  It's not all about urban vs rural.  It's performance.

4. It might cause conference realignments that are much better for the schools. 

5. If might cause one or two conferences to drop down to FCS, to firm up the FBS league to the top hundred or so programs. 

Within a few years the idea you floated would be a thing of the past.  That's why they hold so desperately onto power.  Because they know if the league had a level playing field, their artificial gravy train would stop.

Tell me that's not GREAT for college football.

(and that's not even getting into the corruption that is the bowls and the way they generate their revenue)

While I definately want an expanded playoff I'm not crazy about first round bye's for football.  After the regular season and confernce championships a bye week is just too much of an advantage.  Give me an 8 or 16-team field and I'll be happy.  I'd prefer a 16-team playoff but lets face it there is no way the P5 powers that be will ever give auto bids to the G5 conference champs.  Probably the most we G5 fans can hope for is the highest ranked team getting an auto-bid.

8-teams:  Auto bids for P5 champs, auto bid for highest ranked G5 and two at-large teams.

16-teams:  Auto bids for the 10 FBS conference champs and 6 at-large teams.

3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

While I definately want an expanded playoff I'm not crazy about first round bye's for football.  I think it is just too much of an advantage.  Give me an 8 or 16-team field and I'll be happy.  I'd prefer a 16-team playoff but lets face it there is no way the P5 powers that be will ever give auto bids to the G5 conference champs.  Probably the most we G5 fans can hope for is the highest ranked team getting an auto-bid.

8-teams:  Auto bids for P5 champs, auto bid for highest ranked G5 and two at-large teams.

16-teams:  Auto bids for the 10 FBS conference champs and 6 at-large teams.

Those are good options.  The 1st round byes were to placate the sensitivities of the P5. 

Especially since their old arguments about academics et al are a joke.

I'd be happy with a sixteen team playoff.  The argument would immediately be - what about non-ranked conference champions?  They get in?

But that happened all the time in BCS for the big bowls. 

And I firmly believe if conference champions got an auto bid, recruiting would change dramatically.

The current ranking system is seriously flawed anyway.  Alabama had no business being ranked number 1 for as long as they were - it was purely speculative and based on history/reputation.  Six SEC teams in the top twelve?  For winning games against each other?  Nope.  Doesn't wash.  Fix the parity issues and all the other things will change for the better too I believe.

Just my $0.02 

23 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

2. If all conference champions had auto bids to the post season playoff, it would affect recruiting.  It would bring....gasp.....parity to the league.

3. As parity grew between the schools, the P5 strangle hold on premium media deals would loosen.  Networks want to fill time with games that draw viewers.  It's not all about urban vs rural.  It's performance.

4. It might cause a conference realignment that was much better for the schools. 

5. If might cause one or two conferences to drop down to FCS, to firm up the FBS league to the top hundred or so programs. 

Within a few years the idea you floated would be a thing of the past.  That's why they hold so desperately onto power.  Because they know if the league had a level playing field, their artificial gravy train would stop.

(and that's not even getting into the corruption that is the bowls and the way they generate their revenue)

You and I have different definitions of what is great for college football. The end result of continued expansion of the playoff is a version of your number 5 - having an exclusive tier of  super-conferences of teams that pay their players with only an ancillary connection to the universities whose logos they wear. That will essentially serve as a minor league system for the NFL and function finally as a national, not regional, sport with re-aligned conferences reflecting this. ESPN will be convincing everyone about why the Oregon-Nebraska rivalry is so important every year. Interest in the regular season will drop precipitously, and there will be a short stretch where the playoff is among the highest-rated sporting events of the year. Then the trends related to interest in football overall will continue, ratings will drop, and a combination of that and the increasing costs due to liability will make football untenable for many of the programs now in the second tier (as well as lower-level programs in the first tier). After the bubble bursts, with the new structure, you will see programs drop like flies, including many programs currently in this conference (not just my beloved SJSU), with numbers that make the Title IX thing in the 90s look like nothing.  

If you think that leaning further into a playoff won't end up in a bigger gap between the haves and the have-nots, I think you're crazy. There is one program in this conference who has  chance of benefiting from that, and the rest of the programs have quite a bit to lose. 

I get that my opinion on this matter has been the outlier since the idea of a playoff started floating around. But I don't think mid-major fans are being careful enough about what they wish for in terms of a full-fledged college football playoff.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

45 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

4. It might cause conference realignments that are much better for the schools. 

I want some of what you're having.....

:hookah:

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You and I have different definitions of what is great for college football. The end result of continued expansion of the playoff is a version of your number 5 - having an exclusive tier of  super-conferences of teams that pay their players with only an ancillary connection to the universities whose logos they wear. That will essentially serve as a minor league system for the NFL and function finally as a national, not regional, sport with re-aligned conferences reflecting this. ESPN will be convincing everyone about why the Oregon-Nebraska rivalry is so important every year. Interest in the regular season will drop precipitously, and there will be a short stretch where the playoff is among the highest-rated sporting events of the year. Then the trends related to interest in football overall will continue, ratings will drop, and a combination of that and the increasing costs due to liability will make football untenable for many of the programs now in the second tier (as well as lower-level programs in the first tier). After the bubble bursts, with the new structure, you will see programs drop like flies, including many programs currently in this conference (not just my beloved SJSU), with numbers that make the Title IX thing in the 90s look like nothing.  

If you think that leaning further into a playoff won't end up in a bigger gap between the haves and the have-nots, I think you're crazy. There is one program in this conference who has  chance of benefiting from that, and the rest of the programs have quite a bit to lose. 

I get that my opinion on this matter has been the outlier since the idea of a playoff started floating around. But I don't think mid-major fans are not being careful enough about what they wish for in terms of a full-fledged college football playoff.

You sound like you must have loved the BCS system.  Perhaps going back to the way of having a group of guys sit around and select a "champion" is your preferred method.

The bowl system was always about extracting revenue from schools and their fans to watch meaningless exhibition games. And it did a good job of branding itself as if it were something great.  It's not.  Never has been. 

The BCS was always about money.  And make no mistake, elite programs like Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Texas, etc. were always about trying to build the perception that they were minor league affiliates of NFL teams. 

The rest of your speculation is funny, if skewed.   People want to watch good games.  No one cares if SJSU is playing UConn or some other bottom feeder if their teams suck.  But back a few years ago when SJSU was ranked, people did care.  People did pay attention.  It's all about performance.  Your fears that including all conference champions as autobids into an expanded playoff will kill viewership is silly.  It will expand viewership.  And that will be season-long.  Why should the viewership drop anymore during the season than it already does?  For half the teams in FBS as soon as they lose one or two games, they have no chance.  That's five conferences.  If they all have a chance at a spot, it would only increase viewership.

What has proven to kill viewership is artificial staging of championships like the huge drop back when two SEC teams were playing for the NC. In fact, the whole ranking system is garbage, as they routinely reward teams for interconference play even if that includes teams who perform poorly OOC.  Ranking based on reputation and past glory should not extend out into half the season. 

Having a tiered class system is not only wrong, but it will fail in the long run.  Professional leagues learned that lesson.  It only continues in college football because of the money grab the P5 are setting up for themselves.  The way through that is establishing parity.  If that means the league shrinks down to a hundred or so programs, I'm all right with that.

If that means some of the current P5 lose out, that's okay too.

But something has to change.  The current system is a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. 

11 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

A good dose of reality would help anyone!

As soon as you have some, let us know.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

As soon as you have some, let us know.

This whole thread is letting you know.  Apparently comprehension is not your strong suit.

Let's hear your great insight into things, instead of just standing there and flinging your shit.