Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Admirer from the East

ID Statesman on why Boise lost out to Memphis....

Below is an article that just popped. I just took a bit from their 3 points. I'd add that on the strength of schedule point that is made throughout, the fact that the ACC was so terrible and PAC not much better, made it easier for SMU, Navy, Cincy in addition to Memphis to be ranked. The MWC aside from Boise didnt have a few really strong teams like the AAC. I do agree with Point1 below too.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article238169234.html

1. American Athletic Conference respect: The Mountain West has tried to defuse it, but the American gets more national respect than the Mountain West. Whether it’s because its programs are in larger markets, or East Coast Bias, or the larger financial investments in those programs — or actual performance on the field at times — teams from the American get taken more seriously in rankings.

2. Boise State didn’t dominate: I harped on it all season, and it came back to haunt the Broncos. If you have a weaker schedule than the teams you’re competing with in the rankings, you have to distinguish yourself through domination.

Boise State beat Marshall 14-7, needed fourth-quarter comebacks against San Jose State and Wyoming and stumbled through the second half of the regular-season finale at Colorado State. The Broncos trailed in nine of their 13 games, and the offensive line was disappointing (61st in yards per carry, 68th in sacks allowed) — a weakness that would have been exploited by a top-10 opponent in the Cotton Bowl.

3. The November schedule was a dud. Boise State lost 28-25 on Oct. 19 at BYU, falling out of the lead position in the Cotton Bowl race. The Broncos were No. 14 in the AP Top 25 — tops in the Group of Five — at the time. The final score was close but it’s important to remember that the Broncos trailed by 18 points in the fourth quarter and never had the ball with a chance to regain the lead.

58 minutes ago, An Admirer from the East said:

Below is an article that just popped. I just took a bit from their 3 points. I'd add that on the strength of schedule point that is made throughout, the fact that the ACC was so terrible and PAC not much better, made it easier for SMU, Navy, Cincy in addition to Memphis to be ranked. The MWC aside from Boise didnt have a few really strong teams like the AAC. I do agree with Point1 below too.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article238169234.html

1. American Athletic Conference respect: The Mountain West has tried to defuse it, but the American gets more national respect than the Mountain West. Whether it’s because its programs are in larger markets, or East Coast Bias, or the larger financial investments in those programs — or actual performance on the field at times — teams from the American get taken more seriously in rankings.

2. Boise State didn’t dominate: I harped on it all season, and it came back to haunt the Broncos. If you have a weaker schedule than the teams you’re competing with in the rankings, you have to distinguish yourself through domination.

Boise State beat Marshall 14-7, needed fourth-quarter comebacks against San Jose State and Wyoming and stumbled through the second half of the regular-season finale at Colorado State. The Broncos trailed in nine of their 13 games, and the offensive line was disappointing (61st in yards per carry, 68th in sacks allowed) — a weakness that would have been exploited by a top-10 opponent in the Cotton Bowl.

3. The November schedule was a dud. Boise State lost 28-25 on Oct. 19 at BYU, falling out of the lead position in the Cotton Bowl race. The Broncos were No. 14 in the AP Top 25 — tops in the Group of Five — at the time. The final score was close but it’s important to remember that the Broncos trailed by 18 points in the fourth quarter and never had the ball with a chance to regain the lead.

Unfortunately I agree with the Idaho Statesman. Especially with points 2 and 3. I also agree with point 1 but that is nothing Boise had any control over. Until we lose SJSU, UNLV and New Mexico or at least 2 of those 3 we will have a perception problem. Still it was a good year for Boise overall just not an impressive year. 

8 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Unfortunately I agree with the Idaho Statesman. Especially with points 2 and 3. I also agree with point 1 but that is nothing Boise had any control over. Until we lose SJSU, UNLV and New Mexico or at least 2 of those 3 we will have a perception problem. Still it was a good year for Boise overall just not an impressive year. 

I think it more important to have a few teams with 0 or 1 loss headed into last third of the season than how bad the lesser teams are doing.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Both teams were relatively the same. Once Memphis jumped us after the BYU loss, we weren’t going to catch them unless they lost. Their remaining SOS was better than ours. 

"Memphis, meanwhile, was still behind Boise State in the AP poll after the BYU game. Boise State was No. 22; Memphis was one spot outside the Top 25.

But the Tigers played then-No. 15 and undefeated SMU and back-to-back games against ranked Cincinnati in the back half of their schedule. That provided three marquee wins.

Boise State’s best win, meanwhile, came Sept. 20 against Air Force — before anyone realized the Falcons would be a 10-win team.

Last year, the Broncos finished with three games against Top 25 opponents in a four-week stretch: Fresno State, Utah State and Fresno State. They needed that again."

Except we chit the bed in the CCG though and UCF was too far ahead

Funny thing is, the AAC teams didn’t dominate either. They’re good, but not great, and half their conference is awful. And no one plays much defense. 

There’s a definite East Coast bias. But also, Memphis was just ranked higher going into the last couple weeks. If Boise didn’t lose the BYU, we’d be in the Cotton Bowl. It’s not rocket science. 

It's pretty simple really.

What turned out to be Boise's best win occurred in week 4. Memphis's best win was in week 10 on ABC in prime time. When your big wins occur matters. 

Memphis's loss came a week earlier than Boise's. When you lose can be as important as who you lose to.

Boise's remaining schedule after the BYU loss didn't include a single ranked team while Memphis had 3 (2).

Memphis had 4 wins against teams that were or had been ranked this season. Boise had 1.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

2 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

Funny thing is, the AAC teams didn’t dominate either. They’re good, but not great, and half their conference is awful. And no one plays much defense. 

There’s a definite East Coast bias. But also, Memphis was just ranked higher going into the last couple weeks. If Boise didn’t lose the BYU, we’d be in the Cotton Bowl. It’s not rocket science. 

and if not for a botched call Memphis would be 13-0 but I digress...it also helped having our final two games against a ranked Cincy.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I'm really curious how the AAC ended up with a significantly higher SoS than the MWC this year. Here are the AAC's 6 P5 wins this year (the MWC had 9):

3-9 Georgia Tech

3-9 Maryland

4-8 Mississippi

4-8 Stanford

4-8 UCLA

5-7 SMU

Granted, the MWC's P5 wins weren't very good either but we had 3 more than the AAC and two were against 6-6 teams.

I really think Navy's last minute, comeback win against AFA at home and Tulsa's last minute home win against Wyo were hugely impactful to the AAC getting the upper hand this year. Those two wins along with UCF's win against FAU were probably the best OOC wins the AAC had all year.

3 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I'm really curious how the AAC ended up with a significantly higher SoS than the MWC this year. Here are the AAC's 6 P5 wins this year (the MWC had 9):

3-9 Georgia Tech

3-9 Maryland

4-8 Mississippi

4-8 Stanford

4-8 UCLA

5-7 SMU

Granted, the MWC's P5 wins weren't very good either but we had 3 more than the AAC and two were against 6-6 teams.

I really think Navy's last minute, comeback win against AFA at home and Tulsa's last minute home win against Wyo were hugely impactful to the AAC getting the upper hand this year. Those two wins along with UCF's win against FAU were probably the best OOC wins the AAC had all year.

SMU isn't P5. They are in the AAC. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

HQ needs to help the big dawgs of this conference....have the BSU AFA game be close to the end of the season. Its doubful when BYU comes to Boise next November they will have a good record. This stupid independence crusade has them with a pretty tough schedule https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/byu

Same for the West, have a backloaded schedule for Hawaii or whoever.

4 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

SMU isn't P5. They are in the AAC. 

And they definitely werent 5-7 either.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, An Admirer from the East said:

HQ needs to help the big dawgs of this conference....have the BSU AFA game be close to the end of the season. Its doubful when BYU comes to Boise next November they will have a good record. This stupid independence crusade has them with a pretty tough schedule https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/byu

Fresno's November slate was pretty brutal with conference matchups. @Hawaii, Utah State, @SDSU. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, An Admirer from the East said:

Utah was good this season against a weak PAC-12 schedule, shit the bed against Oregon in the CCG. 

Michigan State is a doable win, shit - they went to the wire against Utah State and are a falling stock.  

Arizona State is bipolar, could be a win or loss. 

Minnesota wants nothing to do with BYU, somehow this scheduling agreement got mixed up - the groundhogs wanted CSU.  Regardless, Minnesota is a one and done - BYU win.  

BYU will have a much better season next year, even after getting curb stomped on the blue.  

38 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Utah was good this season against a weak PAC-12 schedule, shit the bed against Oregon in the CCG. 

Michigan State is a doable win, shit - they went to the wire against Utah State and are a falling stock.  

Arizona State is bipolar, could be a win or loss. 

Minnesota wants nothing to do with BYU, somehow this scheduling agreement got mixed up - the groundhogs wanted CSU.  Regardless, Minnesota is a one and done - BYU win.  

BYU will have a much better season next year, even after getting curb stomped on the blue.  

Would be great to have a high rated BYU come to the Blue next year. I dont think Minnesota is one and done....sorry.