Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

San Diego State vs Central Michigan In The New Mexico Bowl

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

This was Rocky's doing.  One of the criterion he had Wicker give the MWC for choosing a bowl was that the bowl be before Christmas.  First off that is asinine because we now only have two weeks to prep and virtually no time to work with younger players to get them ready for next year.  The Arizona or Potato bowls are two weeks later and would give a lot more time to work with younger players.

The only bowls that fit that criterion are Vegas (no chance), Hawaii (no chance), Frisco (play last year) or NM (only option).

Most schools limit things to 13-15 extra practices (there is no formal number), so assuming the team practiced some last week, they would be able to practices in that range in order to prep for the NM Bowl without much issue.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

They didn't practice last week.  If they were in the AZ bowl they could get in three or four practices this week working solely with the younger players and then go lighter next week during finals working with the younger guys and starting installation of the game plan.  Then they'd have two weeks to get the game plan in.

13 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

How many of those fans would realistically be considering attending both in the first place?

I don’t know but if the bowl game was on the 27th or 28th is it unreasonable to think more than a few fans would drive up the freeway to see the basketball game on Saturday and then fly to a bowl game 5 or 6 days later? 

The point is with them both being the same day a grand total of ZERO can attend both.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

13 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

IMO at least half the bowls should go away and this is one of them. 

If half the Bowls went away the MWC would get 1, maybe 2 teams bowling each year. You would be ok with that? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

29 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

I don’t know but if the bowl game was on the 27th or 28th is it unreasonable to think more than a few fans would drive up the freeway to see the basketball game on Saturday and then fly to a bowl game 5 or 6 days later? 

The point is with them both being the same day a grand total of ZERO can attend both.

Well, maybe a couple can can make it...

giphy.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

40 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

If half the Bowls went away the MWC would get 1, maybe 2 teams bowling each year. You would be ok with that? 

Yes. I think they’re a dumb exercise. The haves get $$$$ and the have nots pay to play. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

17 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

I hope nobody shows and the stadium looks like dog crap on TV because the powers that be at SDSU need to open their eyes.

There are far too many posters on AztecMesa who have bought Rocky's tired act that we're all spoiled and should be elated with 9-win seasons playing in a conference which is a shell of what it was when he first came to SDSU. Those fans need a kick in the nuts to awaken them to the stagnation of Aztec football at this point in time. Next year we play UCLA and YBU again and both will be looking to avenge losses. We also play at Toledo and host FCS playoff team Sacramento State which has a great young head coach so figures to be as tough an opponent as Weber State who we beat just 6-0 this year. So those will all be tough games and at this point, I can see us going just 2-2. Given where Rocky now is, when - not if - fans start complaining after such a start, going into the MWC season he's going to have the same mind-set he had in his final year at UNM. So I think chances are just 50-50 that Rocky doesn't retire a year from now.

Would you prefer the pre Rocky Hoke era ?  Sandy Eggo is still a Charger town despite taking their lame act to El Lay.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

14 hours ago, Fowl said:

This was Rocky's doing.  One of the criterion he had Wicker give the MWC for choosing a bowl was that the bowl be before Christmas.  First off that is asinine because we now only have two weeks to prep and virtually no time to work with younger players to get them ready for next year.  The Arizona or Potato bowls are two weeks later and would give a lot more time to work with younger players.

The only bowls that fit that criterion are Vegas (no chance), Hawaii (no chance), Frisco (play last year) or NM (only option).

Bowl teams are limited to 15 practices per NCAA rules. Don't know what the 15 entail.

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, badfish said:

Shoulda won our division at least. 

This defense is an NY6 defense. 

The offense is, well, offensive.

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

Wicker or Rocky was on the radio last week and mentioned their criteria they gave the MWC for the bowl game.  Before Christmas was one of them.

In the past, Rocky has politicked for post Xmas bowls. 

You can't have it both ways.

Americans Mayor

42 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I would rather see only two -four MWC teams get bowl games if it meant we get better matchups.

Two games against P5 teams, one game against the AAC, and one against a 10-2 or 9-3 G5 team. Because right now all of our teams including the 10-2 and 9-3 MAC teams are playing 7-5 or 6-6 teams from G5 conferences. It's ridiculous. Even worse, someone will find a way to lose these games.

Would you rather play a 7-5 P5 team, like Washington, or a 10-3 G5 team like Florida Atlantic?

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Most schools limit things to 13-15 extra practices (there is no formal number), so assuming the team practiced some last week, they would be able to practices in that range in order to prep for the NM Bowl without much issue.

They did not have contact practices. Team meetings, training and weight room sessions per Rocky. Practice begins in earnest this week.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Bowl teams are limited to 15 practices per NCAA rules. Don't know what the 15 entail.

I believe this is incorrect.  There is no limit to how many bowl practices a team can have.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

I believe this is incorrect.  There is no limit to how many bowl practices a team can have.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/12/21/additional-practices-create-balancing-act-for-bowl-teams/95720950/

From the article:

"NCAA rules allow bowl teams to practice or hold other athletic activities up to four hours per day or 20 hours per week between the end of the regular season and a bowl game. While coaches often refer to the "15 extra practices" that come with a bowl invitation, there is no specific limit to the number of practices a team can hold during bowl preparation."

Have the rules changed since 2016?

4 hours ago, Fowl said:

Wicker or Rocky was on the radio last week and mentioned their criteria they gave the MWC for the bowl game.  Before Christmas was one of them.

Geezus, what small time thinkers.  It's disgusting.

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, aztech said:

Geezus, what small time thinkers.  It's disgusting.

Okay I’m calling bullshit here. I listened to quite a few radio interviews with Rocky and Wicker the past few weeks and not ONCE did I hear these supposed “criteria” mentioned above. In fact Rocky said the coaches and administrators of the schools eligible for bowl games have little actual say in which bowls they are selected for. Sure they may want one bowl more than another but the conference and bowl game decision makers make those calls.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!