Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkysDad

The P6 "Tell"

1 minute ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Whether or not FSU is middling, the core point still stands.  Do you think the Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, or Ohio State coach would take the FSU job right now?

uh, didn't FSU hire Taggart away from Oregon?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

uh, didn't FSU hire Taggart away from Oregon?

Did Taggart win the PAC during his one season as Oregon head coach?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Whether or not FSU is middling, the core point still stands.  Do you think the Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, or Ohio State coach would take the FSU job right now?

Kinda silly question.  Substitute just about anybody for FSU and the answer is the almost always the same.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

30 minutes ago, RSF said:

Kinda silly question.  Substitute just about anybody for FSU and the answer is the almost always the same.

The point is 7-6 "P5" coaches can get poached, conference champion coaches of actual "P5" team seldom if ever get poached by other "P5" teams maybe NFL.

Wait...................where did Texas A&M hire their coach from?

The AAC is a virtual equal in the Massey composite rankings with the ACC and like 17-1 vs the G5 or independents not named Notre Dame, with Navy still to play Army.

Going to be awful hard to spin they aren't separated from the other G5 conferences if they finish ahead of the ACC after bowls. 

8 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

Wait...................where did Texas A&M hire their coach from?

The AAC is a virtual equal in the Massey composite rankings with the ACC and like 17-1 vs the G5 or independents not named Notre Dame, with Navy still to play Army.

Going to be awful hard to spin they aren't separated from the other G5 conferences if they finish ahead of the ACC after bowls. 

Last year the MWC finished ahead of the AAC in the Massey.  

And using anything A&M does as justification is the funniest thing I've heard in quite a long time.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Last year the MWC finished ahead of the AAC in the Massey.  

And using anything A&M does as justification is the funniest thing I've heard in quite a long time.

That's nice, that makes what two out of six years?

Meanwhile read what I typed again. If they finish as the 5th conference ahead of the ACC it will be awful hard to spin that as anything other than separation.

Has any other G conference even been close to that in the CFP era?

I know A&M right?  Them taking a national champion coach from Florida St, laughable.

Too bad it blows up your entire point, coaches leave for other jobs for all kinds of reason including NCAA infractions, because the school is G5, for more money, for less stress, some just because they never stay anywhere for long.

The talent disparity in college football is becoming more noticeable each year. The gap between P5 and non-P5 school is big, but even more noticeable is the gap between teams like LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and everyone else in the top 10-15.

1 hour ago, JoeBlo said:

That's nice, that makes what two out of six years?

Meanwhile read what I typed again. If they finish as the 5th conference ahead of the ACC it will be awful hard to spin that as anything other than separation.

Has any other G conference even been close to that in the CFP era?

I know A&M right?  Them taking a national champion coach from Florida St, laughable.

Too bad it blows up your entire point, coaches leave for other jobs for all kinds of reason including NCAA infractions, because the school is G5, for more money, for less stress, some just because they never stay anywhere for long.

Well, you missed my point.  Both of them.  Like, by a lot.  Which is hardly surprising.  I could explain it to you, but I cant help you understand.

But i will say this - this is the 1st season any of the G5 conferences has even been close to the least of the P5s (which also changes from year to year).  1 year is neither separation nor a trend.  

What does? The Grand Canyon sized gap in the TV deals between the P5 and the G5.

17 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

P5 coaches get hired away all the time to bigger programs.

The AAC is dropping UConn, and their numbers basically mirror the ACC's.

Agreed.  But I can't think of a single instance in the "modern" era of college football where a P5 program after winning their conference and going to a NY6 game or higher had to worry about their coach getting poached by a bigger program.  If it happened, let me know but even if it did, it would be an extremely rare occurrence.

On the other hand, Houston lost Tom Herman, Temple lost Matt Rhule, UCF lost Scott Frost and now Memphis has lost Norvell.  Every conference champ of the AAC since inception has almost immediately lost their coach.  IMHO, that is NOT the profile of a P5 conference.

I don't argue that the AAC is a significantly stronger conference on the field than the MWC and sans Clemson, approaches the ACC statistically this year.  But to include them as a "P6" conference overall is fantasy until the resources are much, much closer.  The MWC made the same argument when the Big East was a weak BCS football conference.  It didn't hold water then and it doesn't hold water now with the AAC.

That would be like saying since BYU is Independent and going to a Bowl Game, that they should be considered on par with Notre Dame and not included in any discussion that includes Army.  :ph34r: 

39 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Agreed.  But I can't think of a single instance in the "modern" era of college football where a P5 program after winning their conference and going to a NY6 game or higher had to worry about their coach getting poached by a bigger program.  If it happened, let me know but even if it did, it would be an extremely rare occurrence.

On the other hand, Houston lost Tom Herman, Temple lost Matt Rhule, UCF lost Scott Frost and now Memphis has lost Norvell.  Every conference champ of the AAC since inception has almost immediately lost their coach.  IMHO, that is NOT the profile of a P5 conference.

I don't argue that the AAC is a significantly stronger conference on the field than the MWC and sans Clemson, approaches the ACC statistically this year.  But to include them as a "P6" conference overall is fantasy until the resources are much, much closer.  The MWC made the same argument when the Big East was a weak BCS football conference.  It didn't hold water then and it doesn't hold water now with the AAC.

That would be like saying since BYU is Independent and going to a Bowl Game, that they should be considered on par with Notre Dame and not included in any discussion that includes Army.  :ph34r: 

Randy Edsall?  UConn won the Big East in 2010 and went to the Fiesta Bowl, then he left for Maryland

18 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Okay.  Let's spin this entire topic on a new dime.  As we all know in a few short years some television contracts are up for re-no. Re-no as in renegotiate and not so much Nevada- Reno (no offense Mug).  The hot topic will be XII and Big10.  Methinks the SEC is mostly locked up strong and well with CBS.  The Clemsom ACC with NBC Guest Notre Dame is locked up.  Yes, i know it's not summer when we are unusually bored.  Howevs, by summer next in 2020 there should be winds blowing for TV contracts.  Especially in the middle of America.  East coast locked. West coast locked.  Middle. Middle. 

XII will become undone.  Big will be Bigger with the annexation of Texas, Oklahoma Proper, Kansas, and entity X.   This guts XII creating the first 16-team league.  SEC either holds pat or annexes Oklahoma State or the Tards of Texas Tech (West Virginia no go). 

There will be a P6 by no later than 2023.  The money is there.  The content is there.  The demand is there.  Former XII will sort itself out.  Add Rice or whatevs.  What MWC and the American should do is merge.  Once and for all with some tough choices and get down to a New World 16 team league conference.  No basketball-only.  No football-only.  In or out.  Bye Navy.  Bye Hawai'i.  Bye Wichita State (really? they have eyeballs on hoops television..get rid of em). 

So let me get this straight. You think the B1G is going to add UT, OU, KU and a fourth current B12 school? I might buy that. However, you also think that even if the SEC doesn't take Okie State and TT that a sixth "power" conference will be created from what's left by merging the AAC and the MWC simply by excluding the current non-all sports members of those two conferences AFTER the remnants of the current B12 "sort themselves out?"

Well unless l've misunderstood, there's no way it's going to play out like that even if you're correct about the B1G adding those four B12 schools. One, the numbers don't add up. Two, the B12 leftovers will be in the driver's seat in terms of rebuilding their conference if for no other reason than their athletics budgets are much bigger than what MWC and AAC members have. So they're going to make it very difficult for the AAC and MWC to keep the most valuable of their programs.

Therefore the writing is on the wall that there will likely no longer be a B12 or a MWC or an AAC as currently exist. Whether what you call a New World conference has any chance of being a "power" conference will depend on if its composition is based strictly on ratings and athletic superiority potential or whether it's based principally on maintaining traditional rivalries as was the basis of the MWC or the AAC's stupid adding of near uselss Too-Lame. If the goal is the latter consideration, the conference has no chance of replacing the B12 as one of the P5 and there will be only FOUR power conferences.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Memphis vs Penn State in the Cotton Bowl
Navy vs Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl
Cincy vs Boston College in the Birmingham Bowl
Temple vs North Carolina in the Military Bowl
SMU vs FAU in the Boca Bowl

those are some damn good bowl match-ups for the AAC

mem skyline sig.jpeg

25 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

"But to include them as a "P6" conference overall is fantasy until the resources are much, much closer."

it's not fantasy, it's marketing...marketing ESPN helps us push.

Cut the BS and get a clue. The Pea6 moniker has as much marketing cache as this: B4M6XT.jpg

Boom goes the dynamite.

33 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

"But to include them as a "P6" conference overall is fantasy until the resources are much, much closer."

...that ESPN apparently doesn't believe or they'd pay the AAC "P6" money for TV rights.

7 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

...that ESPN apparently doesn't believe or they'd pay the AAC "P6" money for TV rights.

marketing isn't always an accurate reflection of reality. The flip side it the 6.94 million per team/per year plus splitting up UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee means Memphis will be making more than we've ever made before. Then throw in the money from the Access Bowls and NCAA credits and we arrive at numbers we can actually work with to develop as a conference IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

53 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Its sad and hysterical that you think that.

And that TV deal doesnt even come close.  'Most ever made' is still 'way behind and getting worse'.