Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

UNM coaching search

It seems like Danny Gonzales is emerging as a candidate they're zeroing in on. Local guy, defensive minded, understands the challenges facing the program. He currently makes 525K as an assistant which is more than 2 or 3 MWC head coaches make. UNM would probably have to double that up to make it happen. 

He's young (43-years-old)

It would be nice to see a return of Rocky's 3-3-5. Gonzales learned it well and ran it at ASU

Much like Rocky, he understands the challenges of the community (primary a lack of D1 talent to recruit here in the state.)

I'm guilty as anybody regarding being negative about UNM sports (and there's a lot of reasons to feel that way sometimes). I know there's sort of this self-fulfilling doom and gloom sentiment regarding UNM football, but it's really not as bad a gig as some make it out to be. 

You have a relatively new indoor practice facility, a stadium which has undergone some recent renovations (scoreboard and field), and a large metropolitan population. The Tow Diehem athletic facility is decent and underwent an $800,000 renovation not very long ago. Albuquerque has decent weather, relatively low cost of living, an airport 3 miles from the stadium. UNM has done a piss-poor job of marketing regarding Lobo football, but Albuquerque has fans that will show up for a decent product. Hell, they show up in droves to watch a 4th tier professional soccer team. Isotopes attendance is always good. Basketball attendance is amazing considering how awful Neal's product was for years. Rocky was able to get 30-40k here when the football team was good.

One thing that used to drive me crazy about Davie was how he always conveyed  this woe is us, we're only New Mexico mentality message. It feed into the self-fufilling prophecy. Is UNM ever going to be Bama? No. Is UNM ever going to be Texas Tech? No. But UNM is perfectly capable of building a program which can compete with Wyoming, Air Force, Utah St., etc. 

Good to see you PTR, you've touched on one of my hot buttons. Here, as well as on the Lair, one of the constant refrains is "The stadium sucks!" It's not a great stadium, certainly not a palace like Canvas or the projected SDSU build, but it's good enough. A stadium is a pile of cement with a parking lot that gets used seven times a year. I'd much rather see money put in the everyday facilities the team uses. As you pointed out, those are actually in pretty good shape and get a Dreamstyle facelift every couple of years. 

BSU proves that stadiums are not the end-all of a program. Great program, erector set of a stadium. They spend their money where it matters, buying off the officials.....:ph34r:

Put a quality product on the field, people will sit on concrete for four hours. Then you approach improving that.

15 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

So we had around 50 canidates and from there the elimination process has started. As mentioned Danny Gonzales is a fan & booster favorite. Jay Hill & Matt Enz are part of the list that I know of. The list has not been made public so we are only finding out leaks here and there.

Our state has money now from the oil boom going on here. The AD is going to ask for more money and there has been mention from local politicians that they may allocate some to help out and if there is significant improvement then more money will be pumped in. 

Troy Taylor removed himself (Sac St.) completely from all offers as he sees a dynasty in the making there. Our AD is not in a rush but does want a HC by Jan 1st when all the assistant coaches contracts are expired or are let go.

UNM is stuck with Davie's buyout but may not owe him as much (or anything) as there seams to be litigation against him now. We'll find out more on that this coming week.

I just read that Mike Riley is interested in the UTSA job. Any idea if he is on Nuñez list? Evidently, he wants to return to college football.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I just read that Mike Riley is interested in the UTSA job. Any idea if he is on Nuñez list? Evidently, he wants to return to college football.

I doubt it, Riley flopped badly at UTEP not too long ago. Núñez is looking for a winner.

2 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

I doubt it, Riley flopped badly at UTEP not too long ago. Núñez is looking for a winner.

I don't think Riley has ever been at UTEP. He was at Oregon St for what appeared to be an eternity. He was at Nebraska for a few seasons. Didn't do well there, but who has? They ran out Pelini, their most successful coach since Solich. No one after pelini has done well at Nebraska.

Check out John Wristen at CSU Pueblo.  D2 for sure and got himself into some bad trouble, but that was 20 years ago.  All he does is win (at D2 of course).  Might be worth a look from the Lobo faithful.

2 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

I doubt it, Riley flopped badly at UTEP not too long ago.

That was Mike Price.  He was at UTEP 9 years before retiring.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

21 hours ago, Headbutt said:

We're hearing a lot about this coach going here, and this school is looking at that coach, etc. but it seems like crickets out of Albuquerque, unless I've completely missed it.  Can the Lobo faithful enlighten us regarding rumors, facts, whatever.  Is there even any word on how they're handling the search?  Just interested.

we are hearing the same crickets.  Not a lot of official info coming out about possible candidates.  Some names being thrown around by fans but I think Nunez is going to let us all know at the last second.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

50 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Check out John Wristen at CSU Pueblo.  D2 for sure and got himself into some bad trouble, but that was 20 years ago.  All he does is win (at D2 of course).  Might be worth a look from the Lobo faithful.

Had Brennan's team not shown the great improvement they did on the field this season, I would be emailing Wristen's/Thunderwolves season records from the past decade (since CSUP strated football) repeated to our AD.

I think UNLV could benefit from someone like him too. I think the UNCO fans really want him as the next HC.

Edit: I would have sent her Russ Martin's bio page from CO Mesa U as well.I cannot believe that 9-4 records are not good enough to get into the D2 playoffs. He had a three-peat of 9-4 records.

9 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I don't think Riley has ever been at UTEP. He was at Oregon St for what appeared to be an eternity. He was at Nebraska for a few seasons. Didn't do well there, but who has? They ran out Pelini, their most successful coach since Solich. No one after pelini has done well at Nebraska.

My bad I was thinking of Mike Price as RSF mentioned. Riley also coached the San Diego Chargers as I remember. I still don't think he is on UNM's radar, especially since his history has proven that as soon as he succeeds somewhere he leaves for the next higher job. We need someone who will stay for a while.

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Didn't they win the natty a feww years ago? Is he on your guys radar?

15 hours ago, PTR said:

It seems like Danny Gonzales is emerging as a candidate they're zeroing in on. Local guy, defensive minded, understands the challenges facing the program. He currently makes 525K as an assistant which is more than 2 or 3 MWC head coaches make. UNM would probably have to double that up to make it happen. 

He's young (43-years-old)

It would be nice to see a return of Rocky's 3-3-5. Gonzales learned it well and ran it at ASU

Much like Rocky, he understands the challenges of the community (primary a lack of D1 talent to recruit here in the state.)

I'm guilty as anybody regarding being negative about UNM sports (and there's a lot of reasons to feel that way sometimes). I know there's sort of this self-fulfilling doom and gloom sentiment regarding UNM football, but it's really not as bad a gig as some make it out to be. 

You have a relatively new indoor practice facility, a stadium which has undergone some recent renovations (scoreboard and field), and a large metropolitan population. The Tow Diehem athletic facility is decent and underwent an $800,000 renovation not very long ago. Albuquerque has decent weather, relatively low cost of living, an airport 3 miles from the stadium. UNM has done a piss-poor job of marketing regarding Lobo football, but Albuquerque has fans that will show up for a decent product. Hell, they show up in droves to watch a 4th tier professional soccer team. Isotopes attendance is always good. Basketball attendance is amazing considering how awful Neal's product was for years. Rocky was able to get 30-40k here when the football team was good.

One thing that used to drive me crazy about Davie was how he always conveyed  this woe is us, we're only New Mexico mentality message. It feed into the self-fufilling prophecy. Is UNM ever going to be Bama? No. Is UNM ever going to be Texas Tech? No. But UNM is perfectly capable of building a program which can compete with Wyoming, Air Force, Utah St., etc. 

Hope you guys can find the funds to get Gonzales and he is able to turn things around in ABQ. I imagine all those years under Rocky made a good impression on him, and the ties to UNM/MWC should help as well. 

Lobos to find out tomorrow what Davie's buyout will be and who is going to pay for it. There was an article that mentioned Davie was facing somekind of lawsuit and that could weigh in on the buyout but the most recent article concerning this mentioned nothing of it. Hopefully it's less than the 844K he is owed.

Edit: The news reported that Davie's buyout is for 825K.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, DoubleBlueGold said:

You better hope not.  He is mediocre coach past his prime collecting paychecks. 

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Read on 247 sports that Lobos are interviewing Todd Graham as a candidate for the job. I would be happy with if he were to be hired, his fire and passion would be a welcomed change compared to Davie who was ho hum around here. 

Fire and passion is great but that guy is toxic IMO and will bolt for greener pastures before the ink is dry on his contract...and he’ll notify Lobo nation via text.  No thanks.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

Another name that has circulated as being interviewed as a candidate is TCU offensive coordinator Curtis Luper who was a former Assistant at UNM. He has deep Texas recruiting ties especially the DFW area. 

Now with Davie's buyout settled. UNM will know how much it can spend on a new coach and staff. 

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

Another name that has circulated as being interviewed as a candidate is TCU offensive coordinator Curtis Luper who was a former Assistant at UNM. He has deep Texas recruiting ties especially the DFW area. 

Now with Davie's buyout settled. UNM will know how much it can spend on a new coach and staff. 

He would certainly be missed at TCU.

4 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

He would certainly be missed at TCU.

He would be a.perfect fit here UNM if you ask me. We have always succeeded with a power running scheme. Our OL is the strength of our program right now. It's easier to recruit a pro-style QB to UNM than a dual-threat. I would love.to have him and get Zac Arnett DC from suds to run our defense.