Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

UNM coaching search

We're hearing a lot about this coach going here, and this school is looking at that coach, etc. but it seems like crickets out of Albuquerque, unless I've completely missed it.  Can the Lobo faithful enlighten us regarding rumors, facts, whatever.  Is there even any word on how they're handling the search?  Just interested.

Danny Gonzales is target #1 from what I've heard. Oregon OC Michael Arroyo has also been mentioned. 

Who knows at this point though? All I know is that we've hired a search firm

Perhaps an 8th grader at The Academy is affordable for UNM.  :D.  Budget cuts and sustained down enrollment speak in volumes.   Why in the crap UNM cut men's soccer is way beyond me.  It actually made some bucks here and there with a dedicated fan base.  Aside from Hoops and a bit of baseball, UNM sports is downward spiral. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Beautiful campus.  VHRU status.  Decent yet underwhelming city.  If UNM leadership pulls its shit together, who knows.  I vote for the 8th grader outta the Academy on the north side for HC next.  Pls be sorta relevant UNM for gridiron.  Hoops are okay; despite the bankrupt Wise Pies naming rights debacle at the Hoops palace. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

Danny Gonzales is target #1 from what I've heard. Oregon OC Michael Arroyo has also been mentioned. 

Who knows at this point though? All I know is that we've hired a search firm

Thought the OC from Oregon had a nice game plan for Utah last night. 

The A.D. said there was a list of 40 to 50 candidates. That list has been paired down to 10, and he is heading the road this coming week to conduct interviews.

And people can forget about Danny Gonzalez… We can’t afford to him, let alone him and the asst. coaches he’d bring in.

I’m thinking will end up with a coach out of conference USA ,or the Sun Belt, or even the Mac. Some young, up-and-coming coach that will take a 400 K paycheck. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

So we had around 50 canidates and from there the elimination process has started. As mentioned Danny Gonzales is a fan & booster favorite. Jay Hill & Matt Enz are part of the list that I know of. The list has not been made public so we are only finding out leaks here and there.

Our state has money now from the oil boom going on here. The AD is going to ask for more money and there has been mention from local politicians that they may allocate some to help out and if there is significant improvement then more money will be pumped in. 

Troy Taylor removed himself (Sac St.) completely from all offers as he sees a dynasty in the making there. Our AD is not in a rush but does want a HC by Jan 1st when all the assistant coaches contracts are expired or are let go.

UNM is stuck with Davie's buyout but may not owe him as much (or anything) as there seams to be litigation against him now. We'll find out more on that this coming week.

47 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

The A.D. said there was a list of 40 to 50 candidates. That list has been paired down to 10, and he is heading the road this coming week to conduct interviews.

And people can forget about Danny Gonzalez… We can’t afford to him, let alone him and the asst. coaches he’d bring in.

I’m thinking will end up with a coach out of conference USA ,or the Sun Belt, or even the Mac. Some young, up-and-coming coach that will take a 400 K paycheck. 

I think you're stuck in coaching mediocrity purgatory by looking at $400K coaches.  The state, or unversity prez, or whoever needs to step up and pledge that UNM will be in the top X% of MWC coaching salaries.  Until then you are looking at project coaches who are desperate to get a HC job.  Obviously spending your way to the top doesn't always work, but when you stay at the Econolodge you do know in advance what kind of room you're going to get.

14 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think you're stuck in coaching mediocrity purgatory by looking at $400K coaches.  The state, or unversity prez, or whoever needs to step up and pledge that UNM will be in the top X% of MWC coaching salaries.  Until then you are looking at project coaches who are desperate to get a HC job.  Obviously spending your way to the top doesn't always work, but when you stay at the Econolodge you do know in advance what kind of room you're going to get.

Our A.D. Núñez said that pay will depend on who the hire is and that they will pay more than Davie if it warrants it. Núñez was present at the last two home games and saw how empty the stands were. He knows what he needs to do.

When i saw him at the BSU/UNM mbb game. He looked relaxed and happy, and confident. He was shaking hands with Folks in the stands just in front of me. I wanted to ask him a question or two, but he headed to the court before i could.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

5 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

When i saw him at the BSU/UNM mbb game. He looked relaxed and happy, and confident. He was shaking hands with Folks in the stands just in front of me. I wanted to ask him a question or two, but he headed to the court before i could.

The whole Davie thing had him stressed. Now he can have his own hire and have all that stuff behind him and the university. Also many boosters that stepped away from helping the program are back now that Davie is gone. 

Here's someone los lobos should consider. He's just a few hours north from ABQ in Grand Junction, CO. He lead CMU (not the one in Michigan) for 7. Only had losing records for the first two season. Five winning seasons, including three consecutive nine-win seasons.If he can do that at CMU, I sure he can he do good at UNM. https://cmumavericks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/russ-martin/2306

There's also this guy, Coach Dale Lindsey at U of San Diego. He holds a record of 64-19 (including 2019). Has spent time in Nuevo Mexico- in Las Cruces.

https://usdtoreros.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/dale-lindsey/1331

9 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Here's someone los lobos should consider. He's just a few hours north from ABQ in Grand Junction, CO. He lead CMU (not the one in Michigan) for 7. Only had losing records for the first two season. Five winning seasons, including three consecutive nine-win seasons.If he can do that at CMU, I sure he can he do good at UNM. https://cmumavericks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/russ-martin/2306

You are suggesting they consider a guy in his 60s, who has never been head coach outside D2, with a rather pedestrian record.

Is he a relative?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

There's also this guy, Coach Dale Lindsey at U of San Diego. He holds a record of 64-19 (including 2019). Has spent time in Nuevo Mexico- in Las Cruces.

76 years old.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

If he coached in Las Cruces, the UNM faithful would never accept him.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

48 minutes ago, RSF said:

You are suggesting they consider a guy in his 60s, who has never been head coach outside D2, with a rather pedestrian record.

Is he a relative?

He may be your long lost father. We are waiting on the blood work results. :rotflmfao: 

Those Records are better than what any recent UNM coach has accomplished. 

45 minutes ago, RSF said:

76 years old.

Is he really that old? How old was Davie when he was hired?

23 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

If he coached in Las Cruces, the UNM faithful would never accept him.

This is possibly true.