Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Penny Hardaway

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Then the expectations were stupid.  The ceiling is Sweet 16.

Sure thing, Auerbach...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

folks said the same things about UNLV...they got a title out of it.

Nothing pisses me off more than when people call programs dirty because they recruit good players.  Show tangible proof before you make accusations.

Those people are jealous because their programs can’t attract that level of talent.

46 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Nothing pisses me off more than when people call programs dirty because they recruit good players.  Show tangible proof before you make accusations.

Those people are jealous because their programs can’t attract that level of talent.

Thats not why theyre called dirty.  And its not accusations after guilt has been established.

And the tangible proof is the decades long track record of vacated wins and final 4 appearances, time spent on probation....

And the current imbrolglio.  Its not new, just the most recent.  For some the ends justify the means.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

24 minutes ago, RSF said:

Thats not why theyre called dirty.  And its not accusations after guilt has been established.

And the tangible proof is the decades long track record of vacated wins and final 4 appearances, time spent on probation....

And the current imbrolglio.  Its not new, just the most recent.  For some the ends justify the means.

Show me proof that Penny Hardaway is cheating.

54 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Show me proof that Penny Hardaway is cheating.

Didn't his best player get suspended for part of the season because a booster (the coach) paid for his moving expenses and then the player went to Memphis?  I think that is verifiable cheating.

Just now, masterfrog said:

Didn't his best player get suspended for part of the season because a booster (the coach) paid for his moving expenses and then the player went to Memphis?  I think that is verifiable cheating.

if it's cheating why did the NCAA clear Wiseman in May and why has zero action been taken against Penny?

it's like Cal...folks love to call him a cheater but no one can prove he cheats.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

if it's cheating why did the NCAA clear Wiseman in May and why has zero action been taken against Penny?

it's like Cal...folks love to call him a cheater but no one can prove he cheats.

I haven't followed it closely, but you are telling me that the story is wrong and Hardaway did not pay for his moving expenses?  If he did, it is clearly cheating, whether he was cleared or not.  It is a verifiable rules violation.

Just now, masterfrog said:

I haven't followed it closely, but you are telling me that the story is wrong and Hardaway did not pay for his moving expenses?  If he did, it is clearly cheating, whether he was cleared or not.  It is a verifiable rules violation.

I'm saying before Penny was ever employed by the UofM he gave Wiseman's mom 11,500 dollars.

The NCAA knew all of this and cleared Wiseman to play in May of 2019...then in Nov 2019, with no new information, they changed their mind.

if the NCAA tells us a kid is cleared to play...we're going to play him...simple as that.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm saying before Penny was ever employed by the UofM he gave Wiseman's mom 11,500 dollars.

The NCAA knew all of this and cleared Wiseman to play in May of 2019...then in Nov 2019, with no new information, they changed their mind.

if the NCAA tells us a kid is cleared to play...we're going to play him...simple as that.

You can't have it both ways.  It is either cheating or it is not and whether or not the NCAA catches it doesn't make a difference.  I am a verifiable booster of my school.  If I give a kid $11,000 to move and he ends up signing with my school, the school is in violation of NCAA rules.  Whether or not the NCAA takes action is a completely different matter.

2 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

You can't have it both ways. 

exactly, he's either clear to play like we were told in May, or he's not like we were told in Nov...but since this is the NCAA we're talking about, we'll have it both ways and Wiseman will sit out 12 games to become re-eligible.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

34 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

exactly, he's either clear to play like we were told in May, or he's not like we were told in Nov...but since this is the NCAA we're talking about, we'll have it both ways and Wiseman will sit out 12 games to become re-eligible.

I can’t see how the NCAA can punish James Wiseman when Penny Hardaway wasn’t even employed by Memphis at the time he paid the moving expenses.

5 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I can’t see how the NCAA can punish James Wiseman when Penny Hardaway wasn’t even employed by Memphis at the time he paid the moving expenses.

I contribute to TCU and every year they send me out a list of do's and don'ts in regards to contact with potential recruits.  They remind me that as a booster any money I give a prospective recruit would make him ineligible to play for TCU and I am not employed by the university either.  Penny was a booster and I would assume he gets the same paperwork from Memphis every year.

4 hours ago, masterfrog said:

I contribute to TCU and every year they send me out a list of do's and don'ts in regards to contact with potential recruits.  They remind me that as a booster any money I give a prospective recruit would make him ineligible to play for TCU and I am not employed by the university either.  Penny was a booster and I would assume he gets the same paperwork from Memphis every year.

Yup.  Being an employee is irrelevant.  The day Penny gave to Memphis, he became a booster.  For life.  And if he never became coach, the payment was a recruiting violation, and pretty cut and dried too.  No matter where Wiseman ended up.  Its funny how people cant grasp this.

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yup.  Being an employee is irrelevant.  The day Penny gave to Memphis, he became a booster.  For life.  And if he never became coach, the payment was a recruiting violation, and pretty cut and dried too.  No matter where Wiseman ended up.  Its funny how people cant grasp this.

so why did the NCAA clear him in May? if it was an error they need to live with their mistake...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

so why did the NCAA clear him in May? if it was an error they need to live with their mistake...

They did the same shit to Derrick Jones when he was at UNLV.  Just a different “violation.”

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Because they didnt have documentation, and said so.  And no they dont have to live with their mistake.  They kept investigating, as they are allowed to do...by the membership, of which Memphis is one.  Shits been known to take years, in case you hadnt noticed.  Dont like it?  Go join the NAIA.  Otherwise, quit whining and get over it, snowflake.  It could have been worse.  

53 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

They did the same shit to Derrick Jones when he was at UNLV.  Just a different “violation.”

Go have some cheese with that whine.