Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV vs BYU in SLC

13 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

She will have to in order to land a competent P5 coordinator.  What’s sad is that we can’t even beat out schools who are only offering coordinator positions.  As an example, OC or DC at Texas should never be a better position than UNLV head coach.

Like I said, open the checkbook, unless this is who you always want to be. My dad always used to say, 'Cure it or kill it'.

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

She will have to in order to land a competent P5 coordinator.  What’s sad is that we can’t even beat out schools who are only offering coordinator positions.  As an example, OC or DC at Texas should never be a better position than UNLV head coach.

Welcome to the reality of college football, P5 coordinators are making 2-3 times as most G5 HC would. 

UNLV is about 10-15 years behind the curve on getting facilities. Incompetent leadership and a booster/fan base with their own agendas etc.  has prevented any kind of success at UNLV to make that leap to a P5 conference. 

Its also sad to see Las Vegas invite these bowls and P5 conference championship games without any sort of requirement or consideration that UNLV be in their conference. 

45 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

She's going to have to open up the checkbook. It's now or never.

I’m OK with how she has conducted herself and her department so far. Of course when considering the ineptitude of her predecessor the bar was left set very high.  So far I have seen a professional and capable AD. Her legacy and future job potential will lie directly upon the success of these 2 hires though so I bet she be dead serious about finding the right guy which also means the money to pay them.

45 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I’m OK with how she has conducted herself and her department so far. Of course when considering the ineptitude of her predecessor the bar was left set very high.  So far I have seen a professional and capable AD. Her legacy and future job potential will lie directly upon the success of these 2 hires though so I bet she be dead serious about finding the right guy which also means the money to pay them.

She has been very professional. Tina would have been giving us play by play for the last two weeks, lol.

And yes, she will be making what will likely become the most important hire in UNLV football history, at a critical time. I hope the rumors are not true in that she is only looking for a young up-and-comer. I'm pretty sure there are some good coaches who already have HC experience, and I don't mean FCS and Bobby Hauck II. Find someone with FBS experience and/or even who has done a short stint in the NFL, but that someone has already heard of. Find the right good coach who can actually coach and bring some excitement to the program, show you mean business and give him a great salary (more than anyone else in the MW), get it done, and do her job and go get the money. But going on the cheap isn't going to bring in anyone who moves the needle or who can even coach without having to learn on the job. No one else is going to be playing in a stadium like Allegiant, I hope her new coach reflects that. It's time to go all in.

I hope she chooses wisely and makes it happen. Piece of cake, lol, I'm not asking much.

19 minutes ago, qwelish said:

It's still a bit too early to tell how her picks pan out, but it certainly looks like amateur hour. 

of course! I shouldn't have posted that, I was being a smart ass, lol. I have been preaching that we are not going to know much this year, especially with the shorthanded roster we now have. We'll see what happens down the road.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:
UNLV
STARTERS FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
V. ShibelF 1-6 1-5 0-0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 1 3
D. TillmanF 5-8 3-5 0-0 1 3 4 3 0 0 3 4 13
C. DiongF 3-8 0-2 1-3 4 3 7 0 0 0 1 4 7
A. HardyG 3-11 2-6 1-2 0 2 2 2 2 0 1 1 9
B. HamiltonG 2-9 1-2 1-2 3 3 6 1 0 0 4 3 6
BENCH FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
C. DembeleF 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
N. BlairF 5-8 0-2 0-1 0 7 7 0 1 0 1 0 10
M. ColemanG 1-6 0-2 0-0 1 2 3 0 2 0 1 0 2
TEAM 20-57 7-24 3-8 9 23 32 6 5 0 11 15 50
  35.1% 29.2% 37.5%

I just cant for the life of me understand why you go out and sign a player worse than the walkons. Trey & Coupet are way better than Shibel. It calls the HC & staffs eye for talent and decision making into question.

This season is showing that TJ is not some prodigy or over the top great coach, yet. TJ has never had the final say on how a program is built. He is learning on the job,

but he is not being compensated like he is. We wont know what TJ is until about year 3 or 4, most likely. A complete program reboot with an unknown calls the ADs decision making into question. 

We wont know about her eye for talent until we at least know what TJ can really do. Maybe next year, but for me guys like Jenkins, Wood, Fleming, Brown, Lindsey, Antonio are all huge

question marks at this point. Adding a very nice class and some transfers can sometimes get it done, but when youre adding it to a core this far off, it generally takes a few seasons. 

I hope its s16 next year, but man I just dont know what to expect.  

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Perhaps.  He was on my list of three guys they would wind up hiring.

I think next year is like Menzies’ year 2.  Big step forward.

He was on my list I put together after the Bucknell game. Then I removed him later in the season because I think they lost a few and they didnt make the dance.

S Dak was in the top 5 in the nation in scoring offense all season. So that was a huge factor on why I had him on my list, and they had a really good record early in the season too.

2 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Didn't think it would be this bad 

Ive been saying how I didnt see good defense, just slowed down offense.

The kstate, cincy, cal, smu, fresneck games they gave up a ton of WIDE open shots. Just those teams could not throw it in the ocean except all the dunks and layups UNLV gave them. 

UCLA, TX St, and BYU can all shoot it. Blow out waiting to happen. 

Even bad shooting teams, eventually a guy or two gets hot shooting open rhythm shots all game. 

Man people are overreacting to this game. Saying Menzies is better and TJO is a bad hire. First season with a bunch of slow players that can't shoot play a team that shot the lights out and got hosed. Relax. This team wasn't supposed to be good and they still are 1-0 where it matters. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, Rosegreen said:

They are on my directv, but no HD. Thought they were rolling in that indie money?! Lol

It’s in HD. Your entertainment package doesn’t carry it that way

The Masters 5k road race All American.

HOT SHOOTING: BYU jumped out to a 15-point lead about halfway through the first half. The Cougars were 17 of 28 from the field during the first 20 minutes (60.7 percent), including 9 of 13 on 3-pointers (69.2 percent), and led 46-25 at the break. For the game, they shot 54.7 percent from the field (29 of 53) and 51.9 percent on 3-pointers (14 of 27).

QUOTABLE: "It was an unacceptable effort by our guys. I know we have had a heck of a stretch of games and an emotional win on Wednesday, but that's not good enough. Effort is not good enough, energy wasn't good enough and I am excited to get to practice on Monday. We will address all of those things wholeheartedly." - UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger.

NOTES: 
- UNLV junior guard Jonah Antonio was out because of injury for the sixth straight game, while senior guard Elijah Mitrou-Long missed his second consecutive game because of a broken thumb.
- It was the 36th all-time meeting between the two schools in men's basketball. UNLV now leads the series 19-17. It was just the second neutral-site game between the two.
- UNLV shot 35.1 percent from the field (20 of 57) and 29.2 percent on 3-pointers (7 of 24).
- UNLV outrebounded BYU 32-31.
- BYU scored 24 points off UNLV's 11 turnovers and led in bench points 42-12.
- It was the first game this season that junior guard Amauri Hardy did not score in double figures. He finished with nine points.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,081 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV's next action will be on Wednesday, Dec. 18 against Pacific at 7 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center.

8 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

Man people are overreacting to this game. Saying Menzies is better and TJO is a bad hire. First season with a bunch of slow players that can't shoot play a team that shot the lights out and got hosed. Relax. This team wasn't supposed to be good and they still are 1-0 where it matters. 

You think TJO a better coach then Menzies?

6 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

As putrid as he's been this year, he has a good chance to be. The book is out, early returns not overly promising but the man has only coached 10 games, for F sake.

There's a reason no team in the entire country would sniff Marv after he got canned.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

By a large margin. Menzies openly wanted to play an antiquated form of basketball that is not successful in mid-major or higher college basketball. TJO is just adjusting to his team in front of him and is not playing to his style of basketball. His team has been somewhat competitive in every game with exception to this one. I feel he commands a room much better than Menzies did. 

15 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

There's a reason no team in the entire country would sniff Marv after he got canned.

Bro I'm at the point that I don't entertain people bearing false witness. 

I don't put people's business out there though bro but if program pays a coach a head coach salary to be an assistant that says something(Maybe being a coach in waiting is Superior to being a coach at a place like Georgia State)... Unlike someone that flat out lies to try to make their opinion seem somewhat more valid than just an opinion...

12 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

By a large margin. Menzies openly wanted to play an antiquated form of basketball that is not successful in mid-major or higher college basketball. TJO is just adjusting to his team in front of him and is not playing to his style of basketball. His team has been somewhat competitive in every game with exception to this one. I feel he commands a room much better than Menzies did. 

Okay because I was wondering how anyone could come to that conclusion with what we've been presented with so far. 

To be honest it's not looking like he's a superior coach. In Menzies first year they played teams like Oregon, Duke, Arizona State, etc even a decent TCU team with straight bums. Like really look at the roster and compare it to the roster they have today they way less talent to work with.... We'll see in the second year if he can make a jump to 20 wins. But I'm not impressed by the way the team plays even though there has been unluckiness (injuries) but coaches face that kinda test. 

Edit: and then you said by a far margin. Lmao I'm convinced people only see what they want to see. Not what's actually there....