Bob

CSU has never hired a black coach... in any sport. Ever.

Maybe they better go for Alford haha.

Though the state of Colorado is only about 4% African American.

athletic director Joe Parker shared his blueprint for what he’s looking for yesterday.

“I want to find someone who is the absolute best person for this opportunity at this moment,” 

Jesus Christ why would you even bother to say something like this? 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Update> We posed the question to the people (via twitter) about whether Colorado State had ever had a black head coach in any sport. Apparently they did have one head coach who was black, for three years, two decades ago.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bob said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-colorado-states-search/

One stunning thing we’ve heard as this search begins is that Colorado State has never hired a black head coach…in any sport, ever. That, folks, is a bit mind-boggling.

Wow. Just wow

Which turned out to be not true.  They've had one in bball 20 years ago! (Ritchie McKay)

Sonny Lubbock had a dark tan, didn’t he? Almost like Mike Tanahan the former Broncos HC. 

38 minutes ago, RSF said:

Update> We posed the question to the people (via twitter) about whether Colorado State had ever had a black head coach in any sport. Apparently they did have one head coach who was black, for three years, two decades ago.

He was only black for 3 years? :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1

"We are not racist, we had that black coach once!"

Keegan Pope came in like

giphy.gif

*obviously, this is a joke*

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Jesus Christ why would you even bother to say something like this? 

Yea, seems a little strong... .I could understand something more like:  "I want to interview as many African American coaches as humanely possible and then hire an everyday, average white person, for this opportunity at this moment."

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I honestly doubt that CSU (in the past 20 years) has ever thought to itself 'we need to make sure to hire a white coach.'  As much as I dislike CSU, this sounds like happenstance.  I look forward to the day that the color of someone's skin doesn't even cross anyone's mind in a hiring process.  Tony Alford sounds to be quite a good hire because he appears to have the resume, the results and the local connection to potentially be successful for a long time period.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I honestly doubt that CSU (in the past 20 years) has ever thought to itself 'we need to make sure to hire a white coach.'  As much as I dislike CSU, this sounds like happenstance.  I look forward to the day that the color of someone's skin doesn't even cross anyone's mind in a hiring process.  Tony Alford sounds to be quite a good hire because he appears to have the resume, the results and the local connection to potentially be successful for a long time period.

I smell a Rooney Rule pushing it's way into Ft. Collins. 

• Like 1

Oh Shit.  Locksley is coming to Fort Collins.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, RSF said:

So someone tried to make something out of nothing and other people shared that nothing. Cool

• Like 6

In the immortal words of the late Jimmy the Greek Snyder:

''They`ve [Blacks/African Americans] got everything. If they take over coaching like everybody wants them to, there`s not going to be anything left for the white people. . . . I mean, all the players are black; I mean, the only thing that the whites control is the coaching jobs.''

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-01-20-8803230751-story.html

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

I wonder if USU has ever hired a black head coach. I can't think of one off the top of my head, although I don't carefully follow the coaches of our non-revenue sports. I have been criticized for publicly stating that USU needs to at least interview black candidates when it has coaching vacancies. To me, this isn't just a racial justice issue. Opposing coaches love to tell potential recruits that Logan isn't a welcoming place for African-Americans. Interviewing (or hiring) black coaches is one of the easiest things we can do to try to combat that idea. Stew Morrill used to admit openly that he believed that it was essential for recruiting to have at least one black assistant on his staff.

How may black coaches have BYU and Utah hired?  How many at Wyo before Allan Edwards?  Its absolutely ridiculous to single CSU out...

• Facepalm 2