Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

Colorado State Update

10 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Can't afford Aranda and Addazio seems underwhelming to me.  Alford has no HC experience, but lots of promise.  Wilson would be a good get IMO.  Then there's Butch Jones.  I'm all over the place as far as my opinion on him.

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Can't afford Aranda and Addazio seems underwhelming to me.  Alford has no HC experience, but lots of promise.  Wilson would be a good get IMO.  Then there's Butch Jones.  I'm all over the place as far as my opinion on him.

He chose Tennessee over CU and was about to be hired at CU & was present in Boulder and then his agents used a meeting room to call Tennessee to take the job.  CSU fans would love that story I think.

4 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

He chose Tennessee over CU and was about to be hired at CU & was present in Boulder and then his agents used a meeting room to call Tennessee to take the job.  CSU fans would love that story I think.

Sounds like a dick move. Remember when integrity used to be a thing?

2 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Yeah, that's the downside.  I question how long he'd be here.  He doesn't seem like a commitment type of guy.  OTOH, I think he'd win.  One guy not on that list is Neuheisel.  Supposedly he is interested, he loves Fort Collins and is quoted as saying that CSU is the program that could be at the top of the conference in a hurry.  I think he'd be really good here.  Probably my second choice.

I sure wish we could afford Aranda, but that would be P5 money.

Just now, Headbutt said:

Yeah, that's the downside.  I question how long he'd be here.  He doesn't seem like a commitment type of guy.  OTOH, I think he'd win.  One guy not on that list is Neuheisel.  Supposedly he is interested, he loves Fort Collins and is quoted as saying that CSU is the program that could be at the top of the conference in a hurry.  I think he'd be really good here.  Probably my second choice.

Thank you. I agree. You shouldn’t be rewarded for behavior like that. 

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It's nice to have stability at head coach like Sonny Lubick but I think those days are long gone...it's all about the recruiting that a coach can do for a program.

CSU could win big next season as well so that is why the job is attractive.

1 minute ago, Jalapeno said:

It's nice to have stability at head coach like Sonny Lubick but I think those days are long gone...it's all about the recruiting that a coach can do for a program.

CSU could win big next season as well so that is why the job is attractive.

I think Neuheisel would win right away and would be happy settling in to the MWC.  I think he's probably past his days of trying to work his way up to an Alabama job.  If we hire Tony Alford, the only way he'd ever leave is at gun point.  I think he'd win as well, just maybe not for a year or two.  It would really, really depend on his hiring of assistants.  That's one of the things he's never done.

33 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I've never understood the appeal of Slick Rick.  Mediocre coach who is willing to be lax on discipline.  No thanks.  

I'm with you on Butch Jones.  Some stuff to like, some not to.  Not really sure what to think of him.  

24 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Photo taken at a restaurant in Indianapolis over the weekend. I recognize AD Joe Parker and President McConnell.  

Anybody know who that other guy is? 

88EFBD35-FA17-4B23-994F-2593F5F56362.jpeg

A great coach, shitty human being who is somehow all of the sudden the go to guy in Ft. Collins to help find other coaches?  It's nice he is helping out some, but him helping doesn't guarantee you will find a good coach.  I hope you guys do though.  

7 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

A great coach, shitty human being who is somehow all of the sudden the go to guy in Ft. Collins to help find other coaches?  It's nice he is helping out some, but him helping doesn't guarantee you will find a good coach.  I hope you guys do though.  

It sure increases our odds though.  I'll let the other three at the table do the character screening.  I think they're pretty good at it.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It sure increases our odds though.  I'll let the other three at the table do the character screening.  I think they're pretty good at it.

Coaches always love their buddies and I don't know if they look at overall fit for a school.  I think it is a lot like good players becoming coaches, few work out, not a lot of great coaches become good ADs or even guys that select coaches, especially if they want to pick their replacement (which obviously isn't the case here).  I'm just saying his involvement isn't a slam dunk to hiring a good coach.

Just now, Bob said:

I'm sure Urban came in with an agenda. It's not like he's advising CSU out of the goodness of his heart or love for CSU. He's stumping for one of his guys. Probably Alford. You ram fans are funny. 

First of all, I'm sure he's collecting a fee.  Secondly, he still has ties to the athletic department and many folks on campus.  Some of them are close ties, like Sonny Lubick who is also reportedly part of the hiring committee.  Thirdly, of course he has some agenda.  Who doesn't.  Did you notice that Kevin Wilson and Tony Alford were both on the interviewee list.  Do you think that's by accident?  I'd take either one of them BTW.

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Coaches always love their buddies and I don't know if they look at overall fit for a school.  I think it is a lot like good players becoming coaches, few work out, not a lot of great coaches become good ADs or even guys that select coaches.  

Hopefully Meyer is one of them.  

Urban has been stumping for Alford for years.  When Tony was at Notre Dame Urban was pushing CSU and others to interview him.  Then, he made him an assistant HC at Ohio State, presumably to help his resume.  Tony, very publicly, has stated that CSU is his dream job for years.  I don't think UM is involved in this without TA getting serious consideration.  I'd love to see Tony at CSU, I'm just not sure I wouldn't prefer him as OC first, then take over when the next guy moves on.  Obviously, that's a hard progression to mandate in a deal like this.