smltwnrckr

Officially a PhD candidate

Today I submitted the the final paperwork to my university finalizing that I passed my qualifying exams (also known as comprehensive exams) and also sent my final dissertation prospectus to my committee. With courses done, exams done and prospectus done, all I have to do is complete my dissertation research and write the effing thing. Then I'll be able to interrupt people and tell them to call me Dr. Rcker. Cuz I'm a jerk.

It's a bit of an obscure accomplishment, and there's still a lot of work to be done (two more years-ish). But it's a big deal, especially when you've done it after multiple things come across your plate that can derail a PhD. 

• Cheers 23

22 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Today I submitted the the final paperwork to my university finalizing that I passed my qualifying exams (also known as comprehensive exams) and also sent my final dissertation prospectus to my committee. With courses done, exams done and prospectus done, all I have to do is complete my dissertation research and write the effing thing. Then I'll be able to interrupt people and tell them to call me Dr. Rcker. Cuz I'm a jerk.

It's a bit of an obscure accomplishment, and there's still a lot of work to be done (two more years-ish). But it's a big deal, especially when you've done it after multiple things come across your plate that can derail a PhD. 

Congrats!

• Like 1

Way to go young blood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Will you be getting your PHD in communist anti fa women's studies?

I know the struggle. Good job, and may no one awkwardly ask you when you're finishing!

Piled Higher and Deeper. 

I've got mine in Education. 

That said...congrats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob said:

What is your field, smeltwacker?

environmental history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

Will you be getting your PHD in communist anti fa women's studies?

Of course. What else would I be getting it in?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I know the struggle. Good job, and may no one awkwardly ask you when you're finishing!

Luckily my wife finished hers a little bit ago, and so both of our families understand that they will never get an answer to that question until the answer is "Yesterday."

• Like 2

Felicidades!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Awesome!  Congrats!  Thanks for including us in this awesome step in your life, honestly a little honoring.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

environmental history. 

That explains some of your awesome takes over the past few years.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

environmental history. 

So a remedial biology degree.

One that avoids all the science and its limitations.

• Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

So a remedial biology degree.

One that avoids all the science and its limitations.

Just a history degree with a specialization. Not a lot of people get a PhD in just history. Even the ones that just say history will qualify it with a specialization if you talk to them in person. I'm sure you know that, since you're the resident expert around here.

Cool that you can't resist being yourself, even when someone just posts something they're relieved and excited about which is in no way a commentary about you or anything you find to be true or important in this world. Just have to tear people down. You're a great dude! I'm glad you're here. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 5

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Just a history degree with a specialization. Not a lot of people get a PhD in just history. Even the ones that just say history will qualify it with a specialization if you talk to them in person. I'm sure you know that, since you're the resident expert around here.

Cool that you can't resist being yourself, even when someone just posts something they're relieved and excited about which is in no way a commentary about you or anything you find to be true or important in this world. Just have to tear people down. You're a great dude! I'm glad you're here. 

If you have a background in biology, physics and geology I take it all back.

Otherwise you have no qualifications to talk about the environment at all. 

I know like journalists, historians and lawyers everywhere, you think you have an education.

Congrats!! That's awesome!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

environmental history. 

Just curious, was John Brooke's new-ish book on your reading list?