Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Officially a PhD candidate

On 12/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, bluerules009 said:

I am completely relaxed.  You are a joke and this is fun.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

We both know you don't have the education to even discuss something as broad as the environment.  Which is why it is so fun to challenge you to defend your degree that is indefensible.   I love easy wins.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

BR, how bout you live life the way you want, and let Spartan with no vowels live the life he wants.

Why would it be fun to insult the man?  That's all you are doing here.  It's not kind, or mature.  You are a smart and thoughtful guy when you choose to be, why do this?

51 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

BR, how bout you live life the way you want, and let Spartan with no vowels live the life he wants.

Why would it be fun to insult the man?  That's all you are doing here.  It's not kind, or mature.  You are a smart and thoughtful guy when you choose to be, why do this?

Just making a point about the value of an education.

If you disagree and think I am wrong, fine.  I have been wrong many times before.  If he is so sure of that then he wouldn't care.

If he considers it an insult, then why he is getting an education that he thinks can be insulted?  His problem is, even the simple questions i have asked he can't answer so it isn't surprising he is upset. 

Of course all the rest of you are upset because i am being mean, it isn't nice for me to point out these inconvenient truths.  It makes you uncomfortable.

Making you uncomfortable and making some of you think about these things is all i am trying to do.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Just making a point about the value of an education.

If you disagree and think I am wrong, fine.  I have been wrong many times before.  If he is so sure of that then he wouldn't care.

If he considers it an insult, then why he is getting an education that he thinks can be insulted?  His problem is, even the simple questions i have asked he can't answer so it isn't surprising he is upset. 

Of course all the rest of you are upset because i am being mean, it isn't nice for me to point out these inconvenient truths.  It makes you uncomfortable.

Making you uncomfortable and making some of you think about these things is all i am trying to do.

Look, friend... one of two things is going on here.

1 – You’re being a troll. An ideological troll, but a troll nonetheless. You have certain clear ideas about racist moron liberals like me (even though I’m a libertarian) who work in journalism or academia or both, and about education, and about women voting, and so on and so forth. You pursue an agenda on here to advance those ideas through a kind of caricature of yourself, one that is true to your beliefs and your own internal monologue but which casts aside any of the normal social constraints that require you to act like a human beings to people in real life. The role of a troll is to generally wreak havoc and be an overall pain, and you do that successfully while also asserting your unique point of view and even occasionally making a good point or offering a good insight. It’s a delicate balance. But as a troll, you also couldn’t help yourself if or when someone makes a generally sincere post about something going on in their life, one in which you see an opportunity to make one of the points you often make, over and over, in a particularly boorish way, disregarding the fact that the post did nothing to state any kind of political or social point, did not call you out in any way, and related to nothing in particular that impacts your life, whatsoever. 

2 – You actually believe the stuff you just posted, and you honestly think that you are in some way making anyone think more deeply or with any greater perspective in this instance about education, science or the things they should pursue in life to advance knowledge, their own personal happiness or the betterment of the world. You actually interpret the things you post like this as direct, helpful and no-nonsense. You think that by needlessly belittling people and by demonstrating a lack of knowledge about a field you find to be unnecessary anyways, you’re doing them a favor because you’re making them evaluate their choices in life and forcing them to be more critical thinkers.

But either way, you’re being a dick and I think you’re not accomplishing particularly effectively what you are trying to accomplish. Whether you’re aware of this or not, you’d be doing us both a favor if you buggered off of this thread and kept to insulting me if or when I make a statement to you, about you or on topics related to any sort of public debate.

Let’s get something straight, too. Nothing you post on here or on this board makes me feel insulted, or uncomfortable or hurts my feelings. I don’t take you seriously enough for that to happen. But I do find you to be a net positive on this board. Your schtick is a lot like the smell of cow crap I get a whiff of whenever I drive home… it’s objectively unpleasant, but it signifies a familiar, comfortable place. So keep doing what you’re doing, bro. Just remember that there’s a time and a place, and you’re doing your thing right now in a place that’s inappropriate. In spite of all the snarkiness on here, snarkiness to which I contribute (sometimes to my regret, I’ll be honest), I do think this is a place where people can occasionally be sincere and where people who haven’t met each other act like a community despite their differences. I would hope that even you would see the value in that and learn to read the room better in the future.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.