Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Officially a PhD candidate

54 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

There is never a need to defend against Bluetools' bloviating, and in fact when he starts going off on someone like he is here it can usually be read as an argument for the veracity of the argument he's raging against.

But for the record, environmental history doesn't claim to be a science field, and environmental historians don't claim to be scientists. It is a just sub-field of history that studies the relationships between people and their environments, how both change over time, and how those changes impact both. Historians study people, always.

So explain to me how you understand the changes in the environment without a basic understanding of the environment or the processes?   How do you know there was even a change?    Do you just take someone else's word on the matter and if that is what you are doing how is their any scholarship at all in what you produce?    If you don't understand what PH is how do you know whether the PH of soil or water matters?   If you don't understand what/how fish species are adapted to different conditions how do you know if the appearance of a new species is a harbinger of a change in environment?

I just don't see much value in anything you could possibly do without an understanding of the environment, just reading what passes for journalism would do as good a job at chronicling changes in the environment as what you would seem capable of doing.

The reason Silent Spring", was such a good book was that Rachel Carson had a science background and decades of experience to put behind it.   She also kept the book restricted to topics within her experience.    You will have no such ability.

24 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

So explain to me how you understand the changes in the environment without a basic understanding of the environment or the processes?   How do you know there was even a change?    Do you just take someone else's word on the matter and if that is what you are doing how is their any scholarship at all in what you produce?    If you don't understand what PH is how do you know whether the PH of soil or water matters?   If you don't understand what/how fish species are adapted to different conditions how do you know if the appearance of a new species is a harbinger of a change in environment?

I just don't see much value in anything you could possibly do without an understanding of the environment, just reading what passes for journalism would do as good a job at chronicling changes in the environment as what you would seem capable of doing.

The reason Silent Spring", was such a good book was that Rachel Carson had a science background and decades of experience to put behind it.   She also kept the book restricted to topics within her experience.    You will have no such ability.

Your relentlessness might be the most impressive thing about you. Can you pretend that I have taken your wisdom to heart and dropped out of school, so you can +++++ off and bother someone else already?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Still waiting for you to link where i said you needed a degree?

Dishonesty looks really bad on you.

You did just link several times I stated you needed " a background in science".   No where did I limit that to a degree.

You explicitly equated the two multiple times, as I showed. 

Blues, if you aren't choosing to follow the consequences of your statements, you will clown yourself.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

You explicitly equated the two multiple times, as I showed. 

Blues, if you aren't choosing to follow the consequences of your statements, you will clown yourself.

I didn't equate the two even once and you didn't show that i did.  I specifically and numerously stated you needed a "background in science".  I did not say you needed a degree even once.

Your posts quoting me proved that.

You are clowning yourself with this refusal to be honest.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Your relentlessness might be the most impressive thing about you. Can you pretend that I have taken your wisdom to heart and dropped out of school, so you can +++++ off and bother someone else already?

If you had even one iota of intelligence you might consider the points i have made.

Especially since after given opportunity after opportunity you can't respond to them.

I am sure you will do very well in academia, grats and good luck.

20 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

If you had even one iota of intelligence you might consider the points i have made.

Especially since after given opportunity after opportunity you can't respond to them.

I am sure you will do very well in academia, grats and good luck.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, bluerules009 said:

Skills like this should add much weight to your dissertation. 

Skills at pointing out the fact that you're being an a-hole without any provocation? You make that effortless. If I was writing my dissertation on that topic, you'd be the first mentioned in my acknowledgements.

I get that your shtick is novel and adds a little spice to the mix around here. But right now, you're throwing way too much nutmeg into your shit stew, my friend. 

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Skills at pointing out the fact that you're being an a-hole without any provocation? You make that effortless. If I was writing my dissertation on that topic, you'd be the first mentioned in my acknowledgements.

I get that your shtick is novel and adds a little spice to the mix around here. But right now, you're throwing way too much nutmeg into your shit stew, my friend. 

What?

Given the substance you have to offer i think Meme's are your best bet.  Just trying to be helpful.

Just now, AndroidAggie said:

Rawr I'm blues listen to me and change your opinions and life career choices or your stupid ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

WOULD YOU HIRE A CODER WHO COULDN'T COUNT TO 10?!?!?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

What?

Given the substance you have to offer i think Meme's are your best bet.  Just trying to be helpful.

Do you know what a meme is? Because I haven't posted a single one. Speaking of knowing what you don't know...

Seriously though, what is it about you that finds it necessary to try and chip away at things that bring people joy? It's weird, man. Weird. 

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Do you know what a meme is? Because I haven't posted a single one. Speaking of knowing what you don't know...

Seriously though, what is it about you that finds it necessary to try and chip away at things that bring people joy? It's weird, man. Weird. 

Well i am sure i would fail in academia without that knowledge.

Oh wait... I didn't.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

Well i am sure i would fail in academia without that knowledge.

Oh wait... I didn't.

I haven't either. Doing fine so far, and have made it through the hardest part. Which is why it's so weird that my current situation, which literally has no impact on your life whatsoever, seems to bother you. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I would like for you to explain it to me. Honestly, why are you so grumpy about me finishing some exams and writing a proposal that you find it necessary to keep a conversation going over multiple days with the intention of minimizing it?

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I haven't either. Doing fine so far, and have made it through the hardest part. Which is why it's so weird that my current situation, which literally has no impact on your life whatsoever, seems to bother you. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I would like for you to explain it to me. Honestly, why are you so grumpy about me finishing some exams and writing a proposal that you find it necessary to keep a conversation going over multiple days with the intention of minimizing it?

I am having fun.

Don't project your feelings on me.  I have no dog in this fight, I am not the one getting a degree without a basic education behind it.

Just now, bluerules009 said:

I am having fun.

Don't project your feelings on me.  I have no dog in this fight, I am not the one getting a degree without a basic education behind it.

But that's the thing, Blues... you do have a dog in this fight. Clearly you do, or else you wouldn't have taken the time to go into a thread where someone posted something that has no impact on you, and makes no commentary about anything that matters in your life, and minimized the OP. And you wouldn't still be defending it with all sorts of unprovoked attacks on someone's livelihood and professional pursuits, and by trying to convince yourself and whoever might still take you seriously that you're the one who is just having fun and playing it cool.

It's really weird. Even for you.