Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gold-n-brown

Howdy Doody

6 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I am not confusing blocking with tackling and clearly indicated as such in my post.  The hit isn't illegal under the rules.  Just because something is allowed doesn't make it right.  My dad taught me that at an early age and it kinda stuck.

Your dad should have taught you about playing to the whistle. You're trying to call out AFA for a dirty hit when it isn't. If it's allowed under the rules, then I fail to see how it's dirty. This isn't a grey area here. he tackled from behind. Perfectly legal and allowable. 

9 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

I don't think we are going to convince our Air Force brethren that this was a dirty play.

New take.

Rewatch the video.   Is that not leading with the helmet? Targeting?

Maybe I am way off on this but that play does not seem typical of most of the football plays I watch.

Actually NO.  Go to approx. 54:40 mark (6:50 left in the quarter) and watch it real time not slowed down.  Guy was just making a play and reference you comment the helmet went between the legs.  Real time shows you the play and notice the QB got up and didn't say anything...you are more concerned than him! 

..GO FALCONS..

3 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Your dad should have taught you about playing to the whistle. You're trying to call out AFA for a dirty hit when it isn't. If it's allowed under the rules, then I fail to see how it's dirty. This isn't a grey area here. he tackled from behind. Perfectly legal and allowable. 

My dad taught me that there was no joy in hurting an opposing player and giving your best, beating a team at its best and shaking their hands afterwards would always be more rewarding.  But win or lose, there are always more important things in life such as family and good health.  I try to teach this to the players I coach.  I'm sorry you don't feel this way.

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

My dad taught me that there was no joy in hurting an opposing player and giving your best, beating a team at its best and shaking their hands afterwards would always be more rewarding.  But win or lose, there are always more important things in life such as family and good health.  I try to teach this to the players I coach.  I'm sorry you don't feel this way.

Oh don't be a weenie. It was a legal tackle and I see no evidence of the defender trying to hurt him and unless you can read minds, I doubt you have any insight as to what his intent was either. 

2 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Oh don't be a weenie. It was a legal tackle and I see no evidence of the defender trying to hurt him and unless you can read minds, I doubt you have any insight as to what his intent was either. 

I doubt he had ill intent as well.  He was just doing what he was coached to do.  Therein lies the problem.

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I doubt he had ill intent as well.  He was just doing what he was coached to do.  Therein lies the problem.

So, he was taught to tackle and do so within the rules? And even if that type of tackle was illegal, how can you say that he would have been coached to do so? If you coach anything, you should know that players do lots of things that you don't coach them to do. Or have your kids not had a single penalty, ever? You sure are making a lot of assumptions here. 

3 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

So, he was taught to tackle and do so within the rules? And even if that type of tackle was illegal, how can you say that he would have been coached to do so? If you coach anything, you should know that players do lots of things that you don't coach them to do. Or have your kids not had a single penalty, ever? You sure are making a lot of assumptions here. 

Clearly you don't and won't ever get it.  But best of luck.

15 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Clearly you don't and won't ever get it.  But best of luck.

You're right. I don't get someone crying about a legal tackle. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, ltcpilot said:

Actually NO.  Go to approx. 54:40 mark (6:50 left in the quarter) and watch it real time not slowed down.  Guy was just making a play and reference you comment the helmet went between the legs.  Real time shows you the play and notice the QB got up and didn't say anything...you are more concerned than him! 

Go to approx 1:40:05 mark and watch a play that is very similar except it is the Air Force QB. Watch as the Wyoming defender doesn't take a cheap shot and goes for the waist and not the knees. While technically the Air Force tackle was not illegal, it is something that should definitely be coached out of the game. That conversation has to come from Howdy Doody during film study telling players that the intent is not to injure the opponent. I'm not sure that Howdy Doody has the ethics though to teach that concept since we've seen the same type of plays for years. 

The guy took 2 full steps before launching into the back of his knees, when it was obvious Levi wasn't going anywhere.

He had time to think and thought, "I'm going to spear 280 pounds of douche into this defenseless qb's knees, who's engaged up top and unaware that I'm coming from behind."

It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident. MWC annals and memories are plum full of the AFA high/low technique.

A friend of ours is a good Christian lady that's had season tickets adjacent and close to the visitors section for years. She rarely misses a game. She says the AFA fans are the worst of any fan base that visits and that includes Byu. Its not even close.

The fans are douches. The players are douchey. The head coach is the undisputed heavyweight champ of douche.

This thread surprises absolutely no one and AFA won't change one bit.

AFA teaches people to attack the knees. That's reality.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

The guy took 2 full steps before launching into the back of his knees, when it was obvious Levi wasn't going anywhere.

He had time to think and thought, "I'm going to spear 280 pounds of douche into this defenseless qb's knees, who's engaged up top and unaware that I'm coming from behind."

It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident. MWC annals and memories are plum full of the AFA high/low technique.

A friend of ours is a good Christian lady that's had season tickets adjacent and close to the visitors section for years. She rarely misses a game. She says the AFA fans are the worst of any fan base that visits and that includes Byu. Its not even close.

The fans are douches. The players are douchey. The head coach is the undisputed heavyweight champ of douche.

This thread surprises absolutely no one and AFA won't change one bit.

AFA teaches people to attack the knees. That's reality.

That's how tackling works. Of course he took two full steps....the whistle hadn't blown and he was trying to tackle the runner. What do you propose he do? Stand where he is and hope the he doesn't get out of the tackle? :blink: The guy clearly put his head between the QB's legs and hit him with his pads.....I'm not sure why this is so difficult. Being "engaged up top" isn't something that applies to tackling...that's taken into consideration for chop blocks only, which isn't what AFA is usually penalized for. AFA is usually called for cut blocks, which is different than a chop block. 

As far as your good friend who is a Christian and their view of AFA fans......I have no idea what that has to do with anything that's being discussed. You can probably find someone to say that every fan base is the worst, but what that has to do with tackling is beyond me. 

I'm well aware of the history that AFA has with being penalized for the cut blocks. Any team that runs the triple option (especially schools with higher academic standards or academies like Army, Navy and AFA that generally have smaller OL) has the same issue. It's part of the game. Can it result in injuries? Of course, but so can lots of things in tackle football, but that's not at issue here. Arguing that the tackle in video above is spearing, targeting or some other sort of illegal tackle just isn't so. Take it to the NCAA if you disagree so adamantly, but according to the rules, it's a legal tackle. Not sure what else to say. 

I'll just leave this here:

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I'll just leave this here:

Nice you bring something up from 2010 that has no video you can see and try to compared to a totally legal tackle here. And if you go to page 2 of the thread that you are sending us to, the explanation of the full speed look at the tackle (as replied to by dirtball) it makes sense of the  Real Time Tackle where momentum carries you through the tackle. Come on guys this is not touch football figure it out. Take a look at the full speed video versus the slow-motion video in the play in question in this current topic thread. If you can't figure out from there that it is a legal and not dirty TACKLE (not block) it's probably time to move on cuz you just don't understand football.

..GO FALCONS..

1 hour ago, ltcpilot said:

Nice you bring something up from 2010 that has no video you can see and try to compared to a totally legal tackle here. And if you go to page 2 of the thread that you are sending us to, the explanation of the full speed look at the tackle (as replied to by dirtball) it makes sense of the  Real Time Tackle where momentum carries you through the tackle. Come on guys this is not touch football figure it out. Take a look at the full speed video versus the slow-motion video in the play in question in this current topic thread. If you can't figure out from there that it is a legal and not dirty TACKLE (not block) it's probably time to move on cuz you just don't understand football.

Yeah, I was looking for the thread with a video of a dirty AFA hit on a SJSU player from a few seasons ago, but found that 2010 thread. The fact that it was an alligator roll- which according to the postings, was done more than once to Hillman- indicates AFA finds ways to play dirty within the legal rules. In other words, clearly nothing has change in a decade.

1 hour ago, ltcpilot said:

We get it.  You and slapdad believe that as long as it is within the rules it cannot be a dirty hit/tackle and certainly Howdy Doody agrees with you.  A lot of us that have played and coached football disagree strongly with this statement because even some legal 'hits' and 'tackles' can lead to devastating consequences.  If my kids ever end up with a coach teaching these 'legal' tackles, you can better believe they won't be on that team for long.

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

We get it.  You and slapdad believe that as long as it is within the rules it cannot be a dirty hit/tackle and certainly Howdy Doody agrees with you.  A lot of us that have played and coached football disagree strongly with this statement because even some legal 'hits' and 'tackles' can lead to devastating consequences.  If my kids ever end up with a coach teaching these 'legal' tackles, you can better believe they won't be on that team for long.

Guess you and I can just disagree and if you ever played football you do not remember how tackles change as a play develops full speed. This was not teaching 'illegal tackling'...watch it real time speed again and imagine yourself making the play.   Again I say that you probably would have hit him high in the back driving him forward 2 more yards versus going low on him.  I get it.  Merry Christmas to you and yours.  I'll bug out of this fight for now.  

..GO FALCONS..

8 minutes ago, ltcpilot said:

Guess you and I can just disagree and if you ever played football you do not remember how tackles change as a play develops full speed. This was not teaching 'illegal tackling'...watch it real time speed again and imagine yourself making the play.   Again I say that you probably would have hit him high in the back driving him forward 2 more yards versus going low on him.  I get it.  Merry Christmas to you and yours.  I'll bug out of this fight for now.  

In every post I have made (as well as others), I have stated it is a 'legal' hit under the rules.  Every AF grad I have met would get this without having to state the same thing over and over and over again.  And as a CB, I wouldn't have hit the QB from behind to come and make a 'tackle' at all.  The play was over.  The QB was engaged with 3 defenders and being driven backwards.  But preach on.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

In every post I have made (as well as others), I have stated it is a 'legal' hit under the rules.  Every AF grad I have met would get this without having to state the same thing over and over and over again.  And as a CB, I wouldn't have hit the QB from behind to come and make a 'tackle' at all.  The play was over.  The QB was engaged with 3 defenders and being driven backwards.  But preach on.

Watch it again, he was going back but then move forward 1 step/1yard then was tackled.  

40 minutes ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

You mean 'Sheep Shit".

..GO FALCONS..