Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

53 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

So she's going with someone with no head coaching experience?

Maybe she's terrified of an experienced HC because if he fails at UNLV then she's forced to admit the problem with football is systemic.

Interesting that all the former HCs interested in UNLV are also interested IN CSU.

1 hour ago, PlayersinVegas said:

So she's going with someone with no head coaching experience?

Probably more to do with the budget she has to work with. Then again, Jay Hill might be in the running, he’s got the FCS playoffs to worry about right now. 

Experienced HC, like Butch Jones are probably asking for 2.5 million plus a significant staffing budget.  

Guy like Arroyo will be 1.5- 1.8 ballpark and coordinators will get 300k-400k each or more.

For reference, Barney Cotton was making 222k as OC. 

1 hour ago, Gator 82 said:

Maybe she's terrified of an experienced HC because if he fails at UNLV then she's forced to admit the problem with football is systemic.

I think she'd be more afraid of hiring the wrong coach that would get her fired. Seems like she's not afraid enough...

If Charles Bronson was still alive he could make:

Career death Wish I The Las Vegas Caper

Career Death Wish II Albuquerque Apocalypse

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

25 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Would you rather have a P5 OC / DC with no HC experience or a FCS HC?

That's the most likely pool.

I would add HCs that had marginal success at the P5 level.

55 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Already debunked. 

It’s still funny.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, Gator 82 said:

So would $1.8 mil and the title of HC be enough to lure him away from Austin and could DRF somehow match the $2.2 mil offer?

Not sure where UNLV is going to get the $$$ for this hire, much less $$ for a decent staff - Ticket sales are down in the two major revenue sports and don't think UNLV gets any $$ from the new stadium.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure where UNLV is going to get the $$$ for this hire, much less $$ for a decent staff - Ticket sales are down in the two major revenue sports and don't think UNLV gets any $$ from the new stadium.

They do get money (3.5 million for ten years, and it could be more) and can make money off the suites they are allocated. Plenty of ways to make money in the new stadium. 

That being said, I don’t see us paying a HC 2 million or more. Staffing budget has to be considered.

11 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

So would $1.8 mil and the title of HC be enough to lure him away from Austin and could DRF somehow match the $2.2 mil offer?

Stability and low expectations might be enough, but Texas is home for Harrell. I don’t see us getting him. 

In any event, hope Morgan Scalley is the choice but I think it’ll be Arroyo.