Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, 4UNLV said:

Yeah, my post actually went both ways. Scalley would benefit from some experience before he became Utah’s head coach, and while that MIGHT work for UNLV, do we really want (again) someone with no head coaching experience to coach at UNLV. 

And I don’t care where Sanford came from, it has nothing to do with whether Scalley would be a good coach or not. 

I think DRF will go with some experience. 

At the MW level, it’s not about the splash hire unless you’re sitting on a secret cash stash.  It’s about the guy you initially say “who?” about, then research and really like it.  In other words, the quietly effective unknown.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

The longer this goes on, the more I’m inclined to think it is Helton and there’s buyout negotiations ongoing. 

With the fallback options being Morgan Scalley/ Arroyo. 

Mora jr being sued by former players probably crosses him off the list. 

20 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The longer this goes on, the more I’m inclined to think it is Helton and there’s buyout negotiations ongoing. 

With the fallback options being Morgan Scalley/ Arroyo. 

Mora jr being sued by former players probably crosses him off the list. 

Okay, so it's:

E. None of the above.

6 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Find it hard to believe it takes 12 days (officially) to find a HC.

Obviously it’s someone under contract. Could be Jay Hill, but I’m not sure that’s a splashy hire to sell the fans. 

Mike Bobo's landing spot?

Word in the coaching profession is that UNLV AD Desiree Reed-Francois has been on the hunt for a young, up and coming coordinator. In fact, we have heard she is hoping to find “the next Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day”.

While there seem to be no shortage of experienced head coaches who want the job (sources tell FootballScoop Butch Jones, Jim Mora Jr. and Steve Sarkisian would all be interested), Reed-Francois seems intent on finding what she is looking for.

This afternoon, Joe Arrigo (who covers the Rebels for 24/7) tweeted that Reed-Francois has interviewed USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell for the position. While it seems unlikely Harrell would choose that opportunity over his current job, or whatever Texas is about to offer him, it is indicative of where this search is headed.

We are aware of several Power 5 offensive coordinators who had the potential to be considered for the position but declined to interview.

Will be interesting to see if Reed-Francois can find “the next _______” or if she ultimately decides one of these more experienced candidates truly is the best fit for her program (and budget).

Told you guys, DRF wants her own (younger) candidate. Looks like this will be like the basketball search where several experienced coaches were interested, but DRF went for her own guy.

UNLV just doesn't seem like the place for a young up and comer, especially not at this point. They need someone who is a proven winner, and would get locals excited.

Brady Hoke, June Jones, Jim Mora, Butch Jones, and Sarkisian would all be good hires. It will be pretty disappointing if she goes for some no-name.

3 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

At the MW level, it’s not about the splash hire unless you’re sitting on a secret cash stash.  It’s about the guy you initially say “who?” about, then research and really like it.  In other words, the quietly effective unknown.

Or the big name making a comeback after a bad P5 stint. Tedford comes to mind. UNLV did OK with Robinson. Nevada went that way with Alford, for that matter.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Or the big name making a comeback after a bad P5 stint. Tedford comes to mind. UNLV did OK with Robinson. Nevada went that way with Alford, for that matter.

Tedford doesn't look as good as he did last year this time.

2 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Tedford doesn't look as good as he did last year this time.

Eh. A ton of injuries in a rebuilding year. It can happen to any MW program, save for maybe Boise, which has far more depth than the rest of us. Despite this year's results, he's definitely improved Fresno's fortunes.

12 minutes ago, bigd said:

UNLV just doesn't seem like the place for a young up and comer, especially not at this point. They need someone who is a proven winner, and would get locals excited.

Brady Hoke, June Jones, Jim Mora, Butch Jones, and Sarkisian would all be good hires. It will be pretty disappointing if she goes for some no-name.

To your point and from @DoubleBlueGold's link: "We are aware of several Power 5 offensive coordinators who had the potential to be considered for the position but declined to interview."

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Agree with this 100%. This is a one time shot, with all these shiny new toys, if she goes for a no name right NOW she is an idiot. An absolute idiot. Another time it might be the right move, but holy smokes, I hope this doesn’t happen right now. 

38 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Agree with this 100%. This is a one time shot, with all these shiny new toys, if she goes for a no name right NOW she is an idiot. An absolute idiot. Another time it might be the right move, but holy smokes, I hope this doesn’t happen right now. 

I'm not getting my hopes up that DRF will go with anyone that has any name recognition - This is UNLV FB entering a totally new era so this might not be the time for an "up and comer form a small program"  - UNLV BB has a bit of reputation to it that might allow a relative unknown to get BB rolling............but FB is a different animal and this next hire is huge.

I might be more tolerable of a hot assistant from a successful power 5 program...............but if DRF tabs some assistant or even HC from a North Texas State caliber program then she's bungled the entire thing