Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLVnow not happening was a bummer for UNLV as a whole. But Allegiant is still going to be one of the most awesome places to watch a football game in the world. From a technological and amenities perspective, it's the best in the world.  UNLV will easily get 30,000-35,000 fans to each game in Year 1. If someone turns the program around they have the potential to bring many more. But for now, just tarp-off the entire upper-levels and get 35k crammed in the lower levels. With the state of the art video/audio technology coupled with the dome acoustics and the stacked seating design the atmosphere will still be top-notch.

People need to remember that Allegiant isn't Qualcomm Stadium w/ SDSU. It's an architecture marvel. Normally stadium seating is built at around a 158 degree angle, not Allegiant--it goes straight up. You can be in the nose-bleeds and still right on top of the action. 

Correction, UNLV SHOULD easily get 30-35k for the first 2 or 3 home games. After that, if the product isn't on the field, and/ or the crowd energy isn't there, it will be 25-30k, then 20-25k, then 15-20k for the final game.

Gotta ask, exactly how many college football games NOT in Las Vegas have you attended?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

10 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Correction, UNLV SHOULD easily get 30-35k for the first 2 or 3 home games. After that, if the product isn't on the field, and/ or the crowd energy isn't there, it will be 25-30k, then 20-25k, then 15-20k for the final game.

Gotta ask, exactly how many college football games NOT in Las Vegas have you attended?

I've been to a few, and more than enough to know that Laramie would be a  dogsh*t place to catch a game. It's cold and there's no cute girls...no shortage of little bald men however.

Since you're so sure about UNLV's attendance. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and make a $100 bet that UNLV's attendance will be under 30,000 next season for all games that are at Allegiant Stadium? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

I think @Rebels18 is right, we’ll average 30k a game. He forgot mention the proximity of the new stadium is centrally located to most Las Vegas residents. People don’t need to drive 40 minutes to an hour to see UNLV football.

12 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

With so much on the table for this next era for UNLV FB the only way I see DRF & UNLV garnering any excitement is to somehow get a known name that has some cache' to bring in the casual fan........otherwise this new move to Allegiant could end up being a disaster if there's 8,000 people in the lower bowl - And there is literally nothing UNLV can do about being in the MWC & those 8 games per season. so the revenue will depend on somehow getting major P5 programs to agree to home & home's with UNLV and marketing the opponents fans on a weekend in Las Vegas so they can make some $$ - UNLV might as well get in bed with the LVCVA & LV Events right away to try 7 sign some package deals with serious P5 programs over the next decade.

The bump in scheduling would probably help recruiting and certainly get more casual local fan attention than playing LA Tech .......but eventually UNLV would need to rise enough to be somewhat competitive or it will just become a college football joke about UNLV sacrificing itself to P5's just to fill the stadium once a season 

While I'm happy UNLV is getting a new stadium deal..........there's some serious questions as to what the outcome of this move will be and it's affect on the UNLV FB program.

If there's ever a time for UNLV to lay down all the chips it has and go all in, the time is right now with this coaching hire..........basically this could be a one time chance to get this FB program out of a 30+ year slump.

I was just going to ask about the parking and traffic. I don’t even drive when I’m down in Vegas anymore. I just Uber. Are there plans for a light rail or something to bring fans in? The Monorail probably doesn’t have the capacity i suppose unless they can expand it to a parking lot somewhere.

11 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

I've been to a few, and more than enough to know that Laramie would be a  dogsh*t place to catch a game. It's cold and there's no cute girls...no shortage of little bald men however.

Since you're so sure about UNLV's attendance. Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and make a $100 bet that UNLV's attendance will be under 30,000 next season for all games that are at Allegiant Stadium? 

In other words you've never been to Laramie, so you're just talking out your azz.

What other college stadiums have you been to?

Why only $100? We're talking butts in seats, right? Not "tickets sold and distributed".

10 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I think @Rebels18 is right, we’ll average 30k a game. He forgot mention the proximity of the new stadium is centrally located to most Las Vegas residents. People don’t need to drive 40 minutes to an hour to see UNLV football.

It won't matter if, given the parking situation, it takes 40-60 minutes to get from your car to the stadium.

Sure, you'll see 30k+ for the first few games, but I'd bet solid money attendance drops off significantly if it's just another typical season. You're still talking about a stadium that's only half full.

5 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

if it's just another typical season. You're still talking about a stadium that's only half full.

Unlv has 4 - 5 wins worth of talent on that roster.  I could see them holding steady with another poor hire.  4 wins.  But if they hire a good coach he will clean house and they might win 3 games with a better young roster.  Either way you are right.  Come MW time 1 to 2 wins will be the ceiling again.  

This feels like a conversation I had with Colorado State fans a couple years ago.  They too thought a new stadium would save their program and bring people out by the millions.  Stupid hippie 

good luck rebels on the hire.  

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Unlv has 4 - 5 wins worth of talent on that roster.  I could see them holding steady with another poor hire.  4 wins.  But if they hire a good coach he will clean house and they might win 3 games with a better young roster.  Either way you are right.  Come MW time 1 to 2 wins will be the ceiling again.  

This feels like a conversation I had with Colorado State fans a couple years ago.  They too thought a new stadium would save their program and bring people out by the millions.  Stupid hippie 

good luck rebels on the hire.  

I'm beating an equine carcass here, but the latest news about not being allowed by the landlord to play in "their" new stadium for their 1st two home games should give Rebel fans an idea of what's coming. The Sheep and Good Eats (CU) both fight the shadow of  an NFL team an hour away. Rebel Football will be living in the same house as the f'k'n Raiders. Had they stayed course with their own new stadium on or adjacent to campus, they'd have a fighting chance. Their odds of even existing in 10 years now are looking pretty stacked against them.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:54 PM, Gator 82 said:

Maybe she's terrified of an experienced HC because if he fails at UNLV then she's forced to admit the problem with football is systemic.

Or to hire a coach she's afraid she "can't control" as SDSU's worst-ever athletic director told several people about Dennis Erickson.

(I've never heard of a worse reason not to hire somebody.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

It won't matter if, given the parking situation, it takes 40-60 minutes to get from your car to the stadium.

Sure, you'll see 30k+ for the first few games, but I'd bet solid money attendance drops off significantly if it's just another typical season. You're still talking about a stadium that's only half full.

Parking situation is vastly overblown. That’s not even a concern. 

There’s 100,000 parking spots within two miles of the stadium. Not including the Raiders 17 acre plot of land adjacent to the stadium that is only for parking. 

You should take up @Rebels18 bet, I don’t know why you are worried about tickets sold since you are convinced UNLV won’t make any money off this venture.  

14 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

I'm really on the Arroyo train now. His offense looks good.

I don't mean this to be critical of your comment because you obviously know your team better than I do, but . . .

This year the Rebels allowed 33.0 ppg on defense. Only once in the prior five seasons did UNLV give up less ppg and that was 31.8 in 2017.

In contrast, you averaged 24.2 ppg on offense this year breaking in a new QB after four consecutive years of averaging at least 28 ppg and that isn't bad.

So it seems to me that for UNLV to emphasize offense right nowmight be the same as SDSU's was 25 years ago when Al Lugenbill was the HC: to have an exciting product in order to "fill the Murph." SDSU was desperate for funds back then so it was a necesary strategy but when you can't win more than eight games in three seasons when you have a talent like Marshall Faulk, so doing is kinda like desperation. Is UNLV football in that type of dire straits now?

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

I was just going to ask about the parking and traffic. I don’t even drive when I’m down in Vegas anymore. I just Uber. Are there plans for a light rail or something to bring fans in? The Monorail probably doesn’t have the capacity i suppose unless they can expand it to a parking lot somewhere.

Traffic in the area between the 15/215 interchange (south) to the 15 / Tropicana interchange is a daily mess - so on game days it's only going to get worse especially for events that draw 30,000+ (UNLV probably won't draw that many, except for ma game or two)

There was talk of extending the monorail from the MGM over to Mandalay Bay, but it's just been talk and doubt that happens 

Also it;s unknown yet if there could be a VGK game on the same date as a stadium event, that will plug up that area even more 

29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Traffic in the area between the 15/215 interchange (south) to the 15 / Tropicana interchange is a daily mess - so on game days it's only going to get worse especially for events that draw 30,000+ (UNLV probably won't draw that many, except for ma game or two)

There was talk of extending the monorail from the MGM over to Mandalay Bay, but it's just been talk and doubt that happens 

Also it;s unknown yet if there could be a VGK game on the same date as a stadium event, that will plug up that area even more 

I think I heard somewhere a while back that UNLV will have shuttles running from the T&M. I would do that in a heartbeat, or take an Uber from my daughter's house. Either way, it's no big deal, our idea of a tailgate has in the past been Metro Pizza (moving on from that now), but it'll be something similar.

9 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Las Vegas is perpetually behind when it comes to the logistics of travel on the Highways. Traffic is going to be madness. The stadium is in a good location, in my opinion, but it wont matter. The exits and streets leading up to the stadium are not set up to handle that level of flow. 

10 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Parking situation is vastly overblown. That’s not even a concern. 

There’s 100,000 parking spots within two miles of the stadium. Not including the Raiders 17 acre plot of land adjacent to the stadium that is only for parking. 

You should take up @Rebels18 bet, I don’t know why you are worried about tickets sold since you are convinced UNLV won’t make any money off this venture.  

I only invest when there is no grey criteria.

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I think I heard somewhere a while back that UNLV will have shuttles running from the T&M. I would do that in a heartbeat, or take an Uber from my daughter's house. Either way, it's no big deal, our idea of a tailgate has in the past been Metro Pizza (moving on from that now), but it'll be something similar.

I have not seen anything concrete yet on the shuttles, but in June I participated in a detailed survey that the AD sent out to current season ticket holders that implied that RAF donors (Rebel Athletic Fund, which includes anyone who buys lower level basketball or good football tickets) might be offered free shuttle service to free parking at the T&M.

I believe that such a shuttle service should be heavily promoted and should be used to draw more students to the games, which would be one way to pad the attendance numbers.  The current trend of having students who don't go to game produces alumni who don't go to games.  Now is the opportunity to change that.

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I have not seen anything concrete yet on the shuttles, but in June I participated in a detailed survey that the AD sent out to current season ticket holders that implied that RAF donors (Rebel Athletic Fund, which includes anyone who buys lower level basketball or good football tickets) might be offered free shuttle service to free parking at the T&M.

I believe that such a shuttle service should be heavily promoted and should be used to draw more students to the games, which would be one way to pad the attendance numbers.  The current trend of having students who don't go to game produces alumni who don't go to games.  Now is the opportunity to change that.

Alums and their families bussed over with college kids. Sounds like more great ideas coming from the think tank that is UNLV administration.

Maybe they should leave the next coaches wife at the airport alone or wait a week or two before approving his contract. 

Seems to have worked wonders for the bball program.