Jump to content
Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Strong coached in the Big West so comparing Arroyo to him is apples and oranges. Looking at the subsaquent guys, since Hauck inherited an empty cupboard it's somewhat understandable Bobby's record was awful. But how bout Sanford? Not a good augury for hiring another coordinator to head up the entire operation, no?

Yeah this definitely feels like Sanford all over again... the optimist will say that Sanford came close and if he had the facilities in place now, he would've gotten UNLV over the hump... personally, my optimism has run out...

It will be interesting to see 5 yrs from now who the new UNLV AD pulls out of their arse to replace this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, bluerules009 said:

As far as coaches go you will be lucky if you get someone like Arroyo the O coordinator at Oregon or the D coordinator at Utah to take the job.  Those would be by far your best options.  No one with other options is going to take that job.

 

I told you so, you people are lucky to have me on this board.

Someone who can predict the future for you.

 

 

UNLV was lucky to get this guy.   He will fail because UNLV will never be good.   Worst mistake this guy made for his career.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dudleyDgroot said:

Arroyo pissed off a big group of boosters with his "smart-ass" attitude when he was an assistant at SJS....Very arrogant display by Arroyo.....My good friend at Oregon was glad to see him go......

Well we don't really have boosters per se sooooo…. :ph34r::D

So he definitely is Sanford 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

Technically they weren't P5, but they were on the cusp of P5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Strong coached in the Big West so comparing Arroyo to him is apples and oranges. Looking at the subsaquent guys, since Hauck inherited an empty cupboard it's somewhat understandable Bobby's record was awful. But how bout Sanford? Not a good augury for hiring another coordinator to head up the entire operation, no?

The point is more that Strong and Sanford had the same facilities - Arroyo will enter with facilities IN PLACE that no previous UNLV coach ever had 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

 

19 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

Utah was P5 within a short time and basically was a P5 before the P5 moniker was fully inn use.............Strong was from Notre Dame 

Jim Strong (born November 16, 1954) is a former college football coach. He is best known for being the head coach of the UNLV Rebels, as well as serving as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Strong joined head coach Lou Holtz' staff at Arkansas in 1983, and followed him to Minnesota and eventually Notre Dame.[1] At Notre Dame, Strong had a successful tenure as offensive coordinator and offensive backfield coach, including the 1988 national championship season. In December 1989, Strong was named the head coach of the football program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. In making the hire, the UNLV Athletic Director asserted Strong's background in recruiting, his energy, and the success of Notre Dame. His initial contract was for five-years at a salary of $95,000 a year.[2]

Strong arrived at a UNLV program that had fallen under the shadow of the highly successful men's basketball program under Jerry Tarkanian; in his first meeting with the university Faculty Senate, he noted "They don't know us because we are a premier academic institution. We will be someday. But they know us because we've got a basketball team that won the national championship."[3]

After leaving UNLV, Strong changed careers and became a real estate broker in Branson, Missouri.[4][5]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

 

Utah was P5 within a short time and basically was a P5 before the P5 moniker was fully inn use.............Strong was from Notre Dame 

Jim Strong (born November 16, 1954) is a former college football coach. He is best known for being the head coach of the UNLV Rebels, as well as serving as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Strong joined head coach Lou Holtz' staff at Arkansas in 1983, and followed him to Minnesota and eventually Notre Dame.[1] At Notre Dame, Strong had a successful tenure as offensive coordinator and offensive backfield coach, including the 1988 national championship season. In December 1989, Strong was named the head coach of the football program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. In making the hire, the UNLV Athletic Director asserted Strong's background in recruiting, his energy, and the success of Notre Dame. His initial contract was for five-years at a salary of $95,000 a year.[2]

Strong arrived at a UNLV program that had fallen under the shadow of the highly successful men's basketball program under Jerry Tarkanian; in his first meeting with the university Faculty Senate, he noted "They don't know us because we are a premier academic institution. We will be someday. But they know us because we've got a basketball team that won the national championship."[3]

After leaving UNLV, Strong changed careers and became a real estate broker in Branson, Missouri.[4][5]

Me stupid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Me stupid!

https://www.jimstrongrealtor.com/about/

Jim coached college football at University of Tulsa, University of Arkansas, University of Minnesota, University of Notre Dame and UNLV before calling the wonderful Ozarks home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, fans are so wrong so often (myself included), that this could be a good thing.

And as to everyone expounding on his OC experience.... we aren't hiring him to be our OC... :shrug:

Yep. He will hire an OC. 

On Cofield they were talking to a reporter from Portland, he made some good points, in that Arroyo went to Oregon with Willie Tagamet and Cristobal retained him. Totally different style than what Cristobal wants, which is more physical, pound the ball. Anyway, there was a lot more, you might want to listen to it. It was at about 4;20 give or take..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this from 24/7 sports talking life after being at Notre Dame - Not a lot of winning from the assistants except for Alvarez 

From the Lou Holtz era (1986-96)

Barry Alvarez — The College Hall-of-Fame coach thrived at Wisconsin from 1990-2005 with a 118-74-4 record, highlighted by winning three Rose Bowls (one more than Michigan’s Bo Schembechler).

Jim Strong — He was the head coach at UNLV from 1990-93, finishing 17-27 before getting fired and going into real estate.

John Palermo  His one season at Austin Peay in 1990 resulted in an 0-11 outcome before deciding to coach for Alvarez at Wisconsin from 1991-2005. He was an assistant at Pitt this year.

Pete Cordelli — He was 3-30 at Kent State (Holtz’s alma mater) from 1991-93 before leaving coaching

Peter Vaas — Succeeded Cordelli for one year at Notre Dame in 1991 before becoming head coach at Holy Cross and producing a 14-30 record in the four seasons from 1992-95. He also would be the Irish quarterbacks coach for Brady Quinn in 2005-06.

Skip Holtz  The son did well at Connecticut from 1994-98 (34-23), returned to work for his father at South Carolina, and also had a solid career at East Carolina from 2005-09 (38-27) before getting fired in three seasons at South Florida (16-21), where his short tenure was highlighted by a victory at Notre Dame in 2011. He was 4-8 at Louisiana Tech this season, leaving his career mark at 92-79.

Rick Minter  Minter left the same time as Skip Holtz, after the 1993 season, to be the head coach at Cincinnati, where he was 53-63-1 from 1994-2003. He was the defensive coordinator again at Notre Dame in 2005-06 and is currently the linebackers coach for Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles.

Dave Roberts — He was given only two seasons at Baylor before back-to-back 2-9 seasons got him ousted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Found this from 24/7 sports talking life after being at Notre Dame - Not a lot of winning from the assistants except for Alvarez 

From the Lou Holtz era (1986-96)

Barry Alvarez — The College Hall-of-Fame coach thrived at Wisconsin from 1990-2005 with a 118-74-4 record, highlighted by winning three Rose Bowls (one more than Michigan’s Bo Schembechler).

Jim Strong — He was the head coach at UNLV from 1990-93, finishing 17-27 before getting fired and going into real estate.

John Palermo  His one season at Austin Peay in 1990 resulted in an 0-11 outcome before deciding to coach for Alvarez at Wisconsin from 1991-2005. He was an assistant at Pitt this year.

Pete Cordelli — He was 3-30 at Kent State (Holtz’s alma mater) from 1991-93 before leaving coaching

Peter Vaas — Succeeded Cordelli for one year at Notre Dame in 1991 before becoming head coach at Holy Cross and producing a 14-30 record in the four seasons from 1992-95. He also would be the Irish quarterbacks coach for Brady Quinn in 2005-06.

Skip Holtz  The son did well at Connecticut from 1994-98 (34-23), returned to work for his father at South Carolina, and also had a solid career at East Carolina from 2005-09 (38-27) before getting fired in three seasons at South Florida (16-21), where his short tenure was highlighted by a victory at Notre Dame in 2011. He was 4-8 at Louisiana Tech this season, leaving his career mark at 92-79.

Rick Minter  Minter left the same time as Skip Holtz, after the 1993 season, to be the head coach at Cincinnati, where he was 53-63-1 from 1994-2003. He was the defensive coordinator again at Notre Dame in 2005-06 and is currently the linebackers coach for Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles.

Dave Roberts — He was given only two seasons at Baylor before back-to-back 2-9 seasons got him ousted.

Shit is super old. Skip Holtz is great at LA Tech. Six straight bowls, five straight bowl wins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Rebels! Now you guys can get to work putting together a staff and start recruiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Oh, I don't think that will take much gettin' used to at UNLV.

You gettin' used to this up north?

Sports_UNLV_Ward-2.jpg.225aae2de794d734fde6e47719fc676c.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NewEraRebs said:

You gettin' used to this up north?

Sports_UNLV_Ward-2.jpg.225aae2de794d734fde6e47719fc676c.jpg

@mugtang can we get a cannon smiley? It’ll be red or blue depending on who won last. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

 

I told you so, you people are lucky to have me on this board.

Someone who can predict the future for you.

 

 

UNLV was lucky to get this guy.   He will fail because UNLV will never be good.   Worst mistake this guy made for his career.

Sounds like he was on his way out and this was a soft landing.  Suicide for a coaching career to go to Las Vegas.  A guy is definitely better off as an assistant somewhere

 

wish the best for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, slappy said:

Sounds like he was on his way out and this was a soft landing.  Suicide for a coaching career to go to Las Vegas.  A guy is definitely better off as an assistant somewhere

 

wish the best for him.  

I know his high school coach pretty well, he tried to talk him out of it.  Arroyo thinks with the new facilities he has a chance.

Do not be surprised though if Arroyo leads UNLV to 5 wins next year, he takes a job at another school.   Like maybe Montana State or something because doing much better at UNLV is unlikely and winning 5 games would be deemed a huge success.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Who cares? At least we take a shot. That risk adverse nature that the rest of the MWC programs have is why we have a National Championship and the rest of you don't. 

A shot? 

TJ? A HS football coach? Pitching coach from Nevada?

And all these years I thought it was Tark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewEraRebs said:

You gettin' used to this up north?

Sports_UNLV_Ward-2.jpg.225aae2de794d734fde6e47719fc676c.jpg

It's too bad someone broke that so we can't use it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×