Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

3rd time UNLV has gone the OC/DC from a winning power 5 program

Coach Seasons Record Pct. Bowl Record
Bill Ireland 1968–1972 26–23–1 .530  
Ron Meyer 1973–1975 27–8–0 .771  
Tony Knap 1976–1981 47–20–2 .696  
Harvey Hyde 1982–1985 8–37–1 .185 0–1
Wayne Nunnely 1986–1989 19–25–0 .432  
Jim Strong 1990–1993 17–27–0 .386  
Jeff Horton 1994–1998 13–44–0 .228 1–0
John Robinson 1999–2004 28–42–0 .400 1–0
Mike Sanford 2005–2009 16–43–0 .271  
Bobby Hauck 2010–2014 15–49–0 .234 0–1
Tony Sanchez 2015–2019 20–40–0 .333

14 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Same Arroyo that was Wyoming's OC for the 2009 and 2010 seasons and who was told he needed to look for a new job when the offense was 107 out of 120 in the country in scoring while the team had a 3-9 record in 2010.

Well if the board loved Mike Locksely's wife they'll like Arroyo's. She coached the Laramie club/Master's swim team while I was at grad school there. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Whether it was UNLV's administration or not, no other school in our conference ever has the kind of rumors of grandeur floating around when it changes coaches that your school does. As should be apparent, I root for you guys to be able to up your product a couple notches. However, with due respect, that chit isn't a good look for you.

Who cares? At least we take a shot. That risk adverse nature that the rest of the MWC programs have is why we have a National Championship and the rest of you don't. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Arroyo wasn't exactly a fan favorite in Oregon. A lot of grumbling up here about the offense and play calling the last couple years. But I don't think this is a bad hire for UNLV. Arroyo has great experience, and any hire would come with some risk and some resume warts.

Canzano just posted this column, which gives you a pretty a good feel for how Arroyo was viewed in Oregon: https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/12/canzano-oregon-ducks-marcus-arroyo-to-unlv-is-good-for-all-parties.html.

5 minutes ago, Lost Poke said:

Correct

Incorrect. 

-Gregg Brandon was Wyoming's offensive coordinator in 2011.  Wyoming was 67 out of 120 in scoring and  59 out of 120 in total offense in 2011.  Wyoming finished the 2011 year with an 8-5 record.  Brandon is now the coach at the Colorado School of Mines leading them to a 12-0 record this year before losing in the second round of the NCAA playoffs.   Previous to his time as OC at Wyoming, Brandon was the head coach at Bowling Green and only had one losing season in his 6 seasons at Bowling Green. 

-Arroyo was Wyoming's OC in 2009 and 2010. Before being let go following the 2010 season, Wyoming finished with a 3-9 record and was 107 out of 120 in scoring and 116 out of 120 in total offense.

Call me crazy, but I think Gregg Brandon would have been a great hire for UNLV.  

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

Who cares? At least we take a shot. That risk adverse nature that the rest of the MWC programs have is why we have a National Championship and the rest of you don't. 

Lol. 

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Incorrect. 

-Gregg Brandon was Wyoming's offensive coordinator in 2011.  Wyoming was 67 out of 120 in scoring and  59 out of 120 in total offense in 2011.  Wyoming finished the 2011 year with an 8-5 record.  Brandon is now the coach at the Colorado School of Mines leading them to a 12-0 record this year before losing in the second round of the NCAA playoffs.   Previous to his time as OC at Wyoming, Brandon was the head coach at Bowling Green and only had one losing season in his 6 seasons at Bowling Green. 

-Arroyo was Wyoming's OC in 2009 and 2010. Before being let go following the 2010 season, Wyoming finished with a 3-9 record and was 107 out of 120 in scoring and 116 out of 120 in total offense.

image.gif.8ac4176f54e0e7bb089430b958563ca3.gif

3 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Incorrect. 

That's right, and Arroyo went back to SJSU to OC there.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, OrediggerPoke said:

No.  He was let go and took a job as QB coach at Cal.

Ah the buzz was that he left voluntarily and we backfilled with Brandon. 

Just now, happycamper said:

Ah the buzz was that he left voluntarily and we backfilled with Brandon. 

It was not voluntary at all.  Arroyo was told his contract was not going to be renewed.  Brandon was then hired and immediately turned the offense around and then he was forced out by Christensen for ego reasons.

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

A guy who is 49-30 as an FBS head coach and 92-43 overall as a head coach.

Arroyo is 0-0 as a head coach, so I'll give him that.

Already the best record in the last 40 years of UNLV football. Tell me that's not an improvement?!

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

A guy who is 49-30 as an FBS head coach and 92-43 overall as a head coach.

Arroyo is 0-0 as a head coach, so I'll give him that.

Never heard of him. He’s probably coaching where he belongs. 

12 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Arroyo wasn't exactly a fan favorite in Oregon. A lot of grumbling up here about the offense and play calling the last couple years. But I don't think this is a bad hire for UNLV. Arroyo has great experience, and any hire would come with some risk and some resume warts.

Canzano just posted this column, which gives you a pretty a good feel for how Arroyo was viewed in Oregon: https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/12/canzano-oregon-ducks-marcus-arroyo-to-unlv-is-good-for-all-parties.html.

Honestly, fans are so wrong so often (myself included), that this could be a good thing.

And as to everyone expounding on his OC experience.... we aren't hiring him to be our OC... :shrug:

12 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Arroyo wasn't exactly a fan favorite in Oregon. A lot of grumbling up here about the offense and play calling the last couple years.

That's because they wanted Chip Kelly's 60 Minutes of Hell.  Cristobal/Arroyo wanted more conventional.  They're 11-2 and they averaged 36 a game.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, fans are so wrong so often (myself included), that this could be a good thing.

I'd argue it is irrelevant, one way or the other. I agree, fans don't know anything, really. To that point, the Canzano column brings up some interesting questions in regard to Oregon's offense:

Beyond that, the rest of us will have the chance to learn where Arroyo began and where Mario Cristobal ended.

How much of Oregon’s predictable play calling was on Arroyo?

That’s been an important question. The Ducks did less with the return of quarterback Justin Herbert than I imagined. His talent was wasted at times and Oregon was frustrating to watch on offense. Then, in spurts, UO would open up the offense, and for a series, and become everything we hoped they’d be this season.

Arroyo got the blame. But I’ve wondered if he was being directed to pull back because it’s not the way Cristobal wants to play. I’ve been around a long line of offensive coordinators, including one current play caller who told me, “He’s the coach. It’s his program. If he says ‘run it,’ I’m running it.”

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Arroyo got the blame. But I’ve wondered if he was being directed to pull back because it’s not the way Cristobal wants to play. I’ve been around a long line of offensive coordinators, including one current play caller who told me, “He’s the coach. It’s his program. If he says ‘run it,’ I’m running it.”

Like they you take man out of the OL but you can't take the OL out if the man.

We had the issues with PH.  The only difference is Oregon gets 4 and 5 star guys where Fresno was getting 2 and 3. Old school gets left behind.

I think Arroyo will be a good HC. He's young and progressive.

6 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

It is not surprising that you haven't heard of a head coach that led a MAC team to a top 25 end of season AP ranking...after all, UNLV hasn't really had any reason to look at the AP Top 25.

You his agent or something?