Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

6 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Why are facts always in the way of your braggadocio? Wyoming has as many National Championships in basketball as UNLV, has been closer to one in Football than UNLV, and has, over the past twenty years, thrown more money at Football than UNLV.

yeah but, UNLV's natty actually matters.

and besides, Wyoming only won the national championship in 43' because all the other programs (with real men) went to war. I guess the 43' Cowboys team must've had bonespurs.

Wyoming cowards.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

9 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

yeah but, UNLV's natty actually matters.

and besides, Wyoming only won the national championship in 43' because all the other programs (with real men) went to war. I guess the 43' Cowboys team must've had bonespurs.

Wyoming cowards.

It actually matters? What's the criteria for "mattering"? What new invention to subjugate reality have you concocted? Are you saying Oklahoma, Texas, and Georgetown had no "real men" on their teams during that time? Top-ranked Illinois lost three players to the draft (mostly due to their age) and declined to play that year, but every other team invited participated. Most college-age men, 18-22, were exempt from the draft. Some dropped out of college to enlist, but many enlisted upon graduation and served as officers. The average age of the WWII combat soldier was 26. Speaking of real men, Kenny Sailors, the man who led that team, the man who invented the modern jump shot, enlisted and served as a Marine in the Pacific, was discharged as a Captain, then returned to Wyoming to play for one more season. If YOU have any concept of a "real man", then I'm sure you'd agree Mr. Sailors was one, but I'm guessing he wasn't Reggie Theus-handsome enough to rustle your jimmy 

And, in all actuality, Wyoming displays not one, but three Championship trophies. Before the NCAA Tournament was a thing Wyoming was named National Champions by the Helms Foundation for the 1934 season. Before Wyoming sent an outsized percentage of our male population to war. Following the 1943 NCAA National Championship game, Wyoming played one more game against NIT Champion St. John's and won what has been called the only College World Championship.

10% of Wyoming's population served in WWII. So, you can put that in your hero's crack pipe and smoke it and then, when you're feeling it, put in some fresh hair gel and walk into any bar in Wyoming and announce that Wyoming men are cowards. I'll bring the popcorn and the paramedics...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

4 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

She’s interim but interestingly enough she is a candidate as well to be the permanent President.

First time UNLV waived the rule for an interim President. 

It’s very likely she will be there for a long time. 

Are you serious?? If they were going to do that, I really wish they had done that for Snyder, that guy got more done in the 1-2 years he was there.. but maybe they couldn’t make him do what they wanted. Ugh. 

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

The Portland guy on Cofield yesterday said that played a huge part in Arroyo's offense. Former offensive lineman wanted to pound the ball and run.. Who knows.

I don't think he would need 8 wins, I think he would get noticed by giving UNLV 6 or 7 wins consistently. Any other program 8 would be true, but it's UNLV we're talking about lol.

Is she still interim? if she is, I think it's a two year max, at least that's what they said when Snyder was there. I want him back, they need to change the rule, lol.

6 or 7 wins would get him noticed locally...........my thing was 8+ to get national noticed for any job offers to move on 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

6 or 7 wins would get him noticed locally...........my thing was 8+ to get national noticed for any job offers to move on 

In 1985, Dennis Erickson, in his first (and only) season as HC took Wyoming to a 6-6 record and was promptly poached by Wazzou.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

In 1985, Dennis Erickson, in his first (and only) season as HC took Wyoming to a 6-6 record and was promptly poached by Wazzou.

Sometimes it happens - Also in DE's case didn't Wazzu's AD have a thing to get Erickson, and knew Dennis from his Idaho days - That connection helped DE move on quickly 

Not sure a P5 program going to be all fired up to grab a UNLV HC that goes 6-6 for a year or two 

Let’s get some ink on the paper and him at least into his office for more than 2 weeks before we start planning a bowl invite.

UNLV in this conference and alignment I think 6 wins and a bowl Is just not failing. 7 wins shows success and 8 or more starts to speak to a system and staff that has potential for relevance. Do that for 2 or 3 seasons and hopefully we will find more money for for another good replacement.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, UNLV2001 said:

This is Aranda gambling that he can turn UNLV around - and the second he does he's gone to a P5 HC job for the $2.5M he was making before - Not that this isn't the case for every MWC FB program 

Aranda now gaining traction for Baylor.. and the UNLV search being referenced..

vm6djIa.png

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Raiders playing hard ball with UNLV over use of stadium - Since the Raiders have pretty much all control, UNLV is second class citizen 

Their hissy fit is them wanting the very first football game at Allegiant to be a Raiders game. UNLV should just fight it and let the Stadium authority make the decision. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Their hissy fit is them wanting the very first football game at Allegiant to be a Raiders game. UNLV should just fight it and let the Stadium authority make the decision. 

Not sure the Stadium Authority can do much 

Just now, Rebels18 said:

It's my understanding that they get the final say. 

I think the Raiders have the final say on all matters - The carrot was dangled to UNLV to help get the legislature on board as much as anything 

Just now, Rebels18 said:

It's my understanding that they get the final say. 

The fact that the Raiders can act like they control things is bullshit because they used taxpayer money to build the stadium.

The public should never pay for these stadiums.  Corporate welfare giveaway.

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The fact that the Raiders can act like they control things is bullshit because they used taxpayer money to build the stadium.

The public should never pay for these stadiums.  Corporate welfare giveaway.

The raiders do control things. It’s still a very good deal for Las Vegas. Tourists are paying for it and the city will make billions. Unlv football is just the third wheel. Lol at all the Reb high fans calling it their stadium. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

The raiders do control things. It’s still a very good deal for Las Vegas. Tourists are paying for it and the city will make billions. Unlv football is just the third wheel. Lol at all the Reb high fans calling it their stadium. 

The stadium will be good for the overall area and events, but your are correct, UNLV is just allowed to use the stadium when the Raiders feel like it..........UNLV & Clark County best not demolish Sam Boyd Stadium as I looks like UNLV might be forced over there for some games.

I could totally see this morphing to where UNLV gets to use the stadium for marquee non-conference games and some or all MWC games get kicked over to SBS due to few fans caring or visiting with the opponent