Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Utah was P5 within a short time and basically was a P5 before the P5 moniker was fully inn use.............Strong was from Notre Dame 

Jim Strong (born November 16, 1954) is a former college football coach. He is best known for being the head coach of the UNLV Rebels, as well as serving as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Strong joined head coach Lou Holtz' staff at Arkansas in 1983, and followed him to Minnesota and eventually Notre Dame.[1] At Notre Dame, Strong had a successful tenure as offensive coordinator and offensive backfield coach, including the 1988 national championship season. In December 1989, Strong was named the head coach of the football program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. In making the hire, the UNLV Athletic Director asserted Strong's background in recruiting, his energy, and the success of Notre Dame. His initial contract was for five-years at a salary of $95,000 a year.[2]

Strong arrived at a UNLV program that had fallen under the shadow of the highly successful men's basketball program under Jerry Tarkanian; in his first meeting with the university Faculty Senate, he noted "They don't know us because we are a premier academic institution. We will be someday. But they know us because we've got a basketball team that won the national championship."[3]

After leaving UNLV, Strong changed careers and became a real estate broker in Branson, Missouri.[4][5]

Me stupid!

5 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, fans are so wrong so often (myself included), that this could be a good thing.

And as to everyone expounding on his OC experience.... we aren't hiring him to be our OC... :shrug:

Yep. He will hire an OC. 

On Cofield they were talking to a reporter from Portland, he made some good points, in that Arroyo went to Oregon with Willie Tagamet and Cristobal retained him. Totally different style than what Cristobal wants, which is more physical, pound the ball. Anyway, there was a lot more, you might want to listen to it. It was at about 4;20 give or take..

Found this from 24/7 sports talking life after being at Notre Dame - Not a lot of winning from the assistants except for Alvarez 

From the Lou Holtz era (1986-96)

Barry Alvarez — The College Hall-of-Fame coach thrived at Wisconsin from 1990-2005 with a 118-74-4 record, highlighted by winning three Rose Bowls (one more than Michigan’s Bo Schembechler).

Jim Strong — He was the head coach at UNLV from 1990-93, finishing 17-27 before getting fired and going into real estate.

John Palermo  His one season at Austin Peay in 1990 resulted in an 0-11 outcome before deciding to coach for Alvarez at Wisconsin from 1991-2005. He was an assistant at Pitt this year.

Pete Cordelli — He was 3-30 at Kent State (Holtz’s alma mater) from 1991-93 before leaving coaching

Peter Vaas — Succeeded Cordelli for one year at Notre Dame in 1991 before becoming head coach at Holy Cross and producing a 14-30 record in the four seasons from 1992-95. He also would be the Irish quarterbacks coach for Brady Quinn in 2005-06.

Skip Holtz  The son did well at Connecticut from 1994-98 (34-23), returned to work for his father at South Carolina, and also had a solid career at East Carolina from 2005-09 (38-27) before getting fired in three seasons at South Florida (16-21), where his short tenure was highlighted by a victory at Notre Dame in 2011. He was 4-8 at Louisiana Tech this season, leaving his career mark at 92-79.

Rick Minter  Minter left the same time as Skip Holtz, after the 1993 season, to be the head coach at Cincinnati, where he was 53-63-1 from 1994-2003. He was the defensive coordinator again at Notre Dame in 2005-06 and is currently the linebackers coach for Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles.

Dave Roberts — He was given only two seasons at Baylor before back-to-back 2-9 seasons got him ousted.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Found this from 24/7 sports talking life after being at Notre Dame - Not a lot of winning from the assistants except for Alvarez 

From the Lou Holtz era (1986-96)

Barry Alvarez — The College Hall-of-Fame coach thrived at Wisconsin from 1990-2005 with a 118-74-4 record, highlighted by winning three Rose Bowls (one more than Michigan’s Bo Schembechler).

Jim Strong — He was the head coach at UNLV from 1990-93, finishing 17-27 before getting fired and going into real estate.

John Palermo  His one season at Austin Peay in 1990 resulted in an 0-11 outcome before deciding to coach for Alvarez at Wisconsin from 1991-2005. He was an assistant at Pitt this year.

Pete Cordelli — He was 3-30 at Kent State (Holtz’s alma mater) from 1991-93 before leaving coaching

Peter Vaas — Succeeded Cordelli for one year at Notre Dame in 1991 before becoming head coach at Holy Cross and producing a 14-30 record in the four seasons from 1992-95. He also would be the Irish quarterbacks coach for Brady Quinn in 2005-06.

Skip Holtz  The son did well at Connecticut from 1994-98 (34-23), returned to work for his father at South Carolina, and also had a solid career at East Carolina from 2005-09 (38-27) before getting fired in three seasons at South Florida (16-21), where his short tenure was highlighted by a victory at Notre Dame in 2011. He was 4-8 at Louisiana Tech this season, leaving his career mark at 92-79.

Rick Minter  Minter left the same time as Skip Holtz, after the 1993 season, to be the head coach at Cincinnati, where he was 53-63-1 from 1994-2003. He was the defensive coordinator again at Notre Dame in 2005-06 and is currently the linebackers coach for Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles.

Dave Roberts — He was given only two seasons at Baylor before back-to-back 2-9 seasons got him ousted.

Shit is super old. Skip Holtz is great at LA Tech. Six straight bowls, five straight bowl wins. 

7 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I told you so, you people are lucky to have me on this board.

Someone who can predict the future for you.

UNLV was lucky to get this guy.   He will fail because UNLV will never be good.   Worst mistake this guy made for his career.

Sounds like he was on his way out and this was a soft landing.  Suicide for a coaching career to go to Las Vegas.  A guy is definitely better off as an assistant somewhere

wish the best for him.  

23 minutes ago, slappy said:

Sounds like he was on his way out and this was a soft landing.  Suicide for a coaching career to go to Las Vegas.  A guy is definitely better off as an assistant somewhere

wish the best for him.  

I know his high school coach pretty well, he tried to talk him out of it.  Arroyo thinks with the new facilities he has a chance.

Do not be surprised though if Arroyo leads UNLV to 5 wins next year, he takes a job at another school.   Like maybe Montana State or something because doing much better at UNLV is unlikely and winning 5 games would be deemed a huge success.

11 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Who cares? At least we take a shot. That risk adverse nature that the rest of the MWC programs have is why we have a National Championship and the rest of you don't. 

A shot? 

TJ? A HS football coach? Pitching coach from Nevada?

And all these years I thought it was Tark.

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

After leaving UNLV, Strong changed careers and became a real estate broker in Branson, Missouri.[4][5]

Seems that most UNLV basketball and football coaches end up doing this or selling insurance as their next job. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

16 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Who cares? At least we take a shot. That risk adverse nature that the rest of the MWC programs have is why we have a National Championship and the rest of you don't. 

Why are facts always in the way of your braggadocio? Wyoming has as many National Championships in basketball as UNLV, has been closer to one in Football than UNLV, and has, over the past twenty years, thrown more money at Football than UNLV.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

17 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I'd argue it is irrelevant, one way or the other. I agree, fans don't know anything, really. To that point, the Canzano column brings up some interesting questions in regard to Oregon's offense:

Beyond that, the rest of us will have the chance to learn where Arroyo began and where Mario Cristobal ended.

How much of Oregon’s predictable play calling was on Arroyo?

That’s been an important question. The Ducks did less with the return of quarterback Justin Herbert than I imagined. His talent was wasted at times and Oregon was frustrating to watch on offense. Then, in spurts, UO would open up the offense, and for a series, and become everything we hoped they’d be this season.

Arroyo got the blame. But I’ve wondered if he was being directed to pull back because it’s not the way Cristobal wants to play. I’ve been around a long line of offensive coordinators, including one current play caller who told me, “He’s the coach. It’s his program. If he says ‘run it,’ I’m running it.”

The Portland guy on Cofield yesterday said that played a huge part in Arroyo's offense. Former offensive lineman wanted to pound the ball and run.. Who knows.

17 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Every MWC program risks losing their coach if that coach has any sustained success............that's the G5 world we live in

Though I think any UNLV HC needs to win over a number of seasons (at least 3 solid 8+ win seasons) to get noticed 

I don't think he would need 8 wins, I think he would get noticed by giving UNLV 6 or 7 wins consistently. Any other program 8 would be true, but it's UNLV we're talking about lol.

16 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

DRF isn’t going anywhere as long as Marta is President. 

Is she still interim? if she is, I think it's a two year max, at least that's what they said when Snyder was there. I want him back, they need to change the rule, lol.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Is she still interim? if she is, I think it's a two year max, at least that's what they said when Snyder was there. I want him back, they need to change the rule, lol.

She’s interim but interestingly enough she is a candidate as well to be the permanent President.

First time UNLV waived the rule for an interim President. 

It’s very likely she will be there for a long time. 

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

'His offenses have produced at every stop.'

The author and I have a difference of opinion of the meaning of the word 'produced.'  In his second and final year as offensive coordinator at Wyoming, Arroyo ran a no-huddle fast paced spread offense.  Wyoming finished the season ranked 116 out of 120 FBS teams in total offense and 107 out of 120 FBS teams in scoring.  So if the meaning of the word 'produced' is that the offense merely ran plays, then I would agree with the author.  However, I view the word 'produced' as meaning running a competent offense that isn't nearly statistically dead last in the FBS.