Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

I knew it was bad, but holy crap. Does any program in the NCAA have a worse history than UNLV? Serious question 

It's been bad.............the harvey Hyde numbers are adjusted to show forfeited wins...........on the field he won but the wins were vacated - But since Hyde the parade of coaches have generally been bad 

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Lots of Wyo fans chiming in. 

Guess there’s not a lot to talk about in Laramie, livestock auctions must be in the off-season. 

I don't believe San Jose State has very many posters...but other than that, I don't believe any other school would have any reason to have much of an opinion of Arroyo.

31 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Lots of Wyo fans chiming in. 

Guess there’s not a lot to talk about in Laramie, livestock auctions must be in the off-season. 

Down at the nfr enjoying your nice weather.  Tried to bet the under 4 wins at the south point last night.  

Is is that a good bet

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

3rd time UNLV has gone the OC/DC from a winning power 5 program

Coach Seasons Record Pct. Bowl Record
Bill Ireland 1968–1972 26–23–1 .530  
Ron Meyer 1973–1975 27–8–0 .771  
Tony Knap 1976–1981 47–20–2 .696  
Harvey Hyde 1982–1985 8–37–1 .185 0–1
Wayne Nunnely 1986–1989 19–25–0 .432  
Jim Strong 1990–1993 17–27–0 .386  
Jeff Horton 1994–1998 13–44–0 .228 1–0
John Robinson 1999–2004 28–42–0 .400 1–0
Mike Sanford 2005–2009 16–43–0 .271  
Bobby Hauck 2010–2014 15–49–0 .234 0–1
Tony Sanchez 2015–2019 20–40–0 .333

Strong coached in the Big West so comparing Arroyo to him is apples and oranges. Looking at the subsaquent guys, since Hauck inherited an empty cupboard it's somewhat understandable Bobby's record was awful. But how bout Sanford? Not a good augury for hiring another coordinator to head up the entire operation, no?

Boom goes the dynamite.

49 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I don't believe San Jose State has very many posters...but other than that, I don't believe any other school would have any reason to have much of an opinion of Arroyo.

Arroyo pissed off a big group of boosters with his "smart-ass" attitude when he was an assistant at SJS....Very arrogant display by Arroyo.....My good friend at Oregon was glad to see him go......

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Strong coached in the Big West so comparing Arroyo to him is apples and oranges. Looking at the subsaquent guys, since Hauck inherited an empty cupboard it's somewhat understandable Bobby's record was awful. But how bout Sanford? Not a good augury for hiring another coordinator to head up the entire operation, no?

Yeah this definitely feels like Sanford all over again... the optimist will say that Sanford came close and if he had the facilities in place now, he would've gotten UNLV over the hump... personally, my optimism has run out...

It will be interesting to see 5 yrs from now who the new UNLV AD pulls out of their arse to replace this guy.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, bluerules009 said:

As far as coaches go you will be lucky if you get someone like Arroyo the O coordinator at Oregon or the D coordinator at Utah to take the job.  Those would be by far your best options.  No one with other options is going to take that job.

I told you so, you people are lucky to have me on this board.

Someone who can predict the future for you.

UNLV was lucky to get this guy.   He will fail because UNLV will never be good.   Worst mistake this guy made for his career.

5 minutes ago, dudleyDgroot said:

Arroyo pissed off a big group of boosters with his "smart-ass" attitude when he was an assistant at SJS....Very arrogant display by Arroyo.....My good friend at Oregon was glad to see him go......

Well we don't really have boosters per se sooooo…. :ph34r::D

So he definitely is Sanford 2.0

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

Technically they weren't P5, but they were on the cusp of P5. 

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The point is more that Strong and Sanford had the same facilities - Arroyo will enter with facilities IN PLACE that no previous UNLV coach ever had 

19 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Sanford came from a non power 5. Utah was in the mwc at the time. So UNLV never hired an assistant from a power 5. This is the only kind of coach we haven't tried. He has a better chance then any other coach in unlv history because of the facilities.

19 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Utah was P5 within a short time and basically was a P5 before the P5 moniker was fully inn use.............Strong was from Notre Dame 

Jim Strong (born November 16, 1954) is a former college football coach. He is best known for being the head coach of the UNLV Rebels, as well as serving as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Strong joined head coach Lou Holtz' staff at Arkansas in 1983, and followed him to Minnesota and eventually Notre Dame.[1] At Notre Dame, Strong had a successful tenure as offensive coordinator and offensive backfield coach, including the 1988 national championship season. In December 1989, Strong was named the head coach of the football program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. In making the hire, the UNLV Athletic Director asserted Strong's background in recruiting, his energy, and the success of Notre Dame. His initial contract was for five-years at a salary of $95,000 a year.[2]

Strong arrived at a UNLV program that had fallen under the shadow of the highly successful men's basketball program under Jerry Tarkanian; in his first meeting with the university Faculty Senate, he noted "They don't know us because we are a premier academic institution. We will be someday. But they know us because we've got a basketball team that won the national championship."[3]

After leaving UNLV, Strong changed careers and became a real estate broker in Branson, Missouri.[4][5]