Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV FB hires Marcus Arroyo as HC.

2 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

This is taking a while. Other schools have since fired their coaches/had their coaches leave and have hired a replacement. 

Desiree having trouble finding interested parties? 

With all the recent improvements, I’d think you’d have quite a few people interested. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

With all the recent improvements, I’d think you’d have quite a few people interested. 

Biggest issue with UNLV is finances - UNLV is on a low end MWC / MAC budget and low end Sun Belt caliber history............with potentially P5 facilities .....trying to match a coach with the facilities and the limits of a middle at best G5 budget is tough :(

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I've heard the interest was less than expected. DRF expected the facilities upgrade, the new stadium, and the flash of Las Vegas to garner more interest than it actually did. Turns out you can't virtually ignore your football program for several decades and then revive it with some flashy new bells and whistles. Who knew?

8 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

I've heard the interest was less than expected. DRF expected the facilities upgrade, the new stadium, and the flash of Las Vegas to garner more interest than it actually did. Turns out you can't virtually ignore your football program for several decades and then revive it with some flashy new bells and whistles. Who knew?

Anything is possible you just have to be in the right place and time... Look at UAB and the success they've had since reinstating their football program.

5 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

I don't think any coach gives a shit about the past history of the program. and even though we have elite facilities now, people have to remember just how horrible UNLV's facilities were prior to the Fertitta FB Complex and Allegiant Stadium....absolute bottom-tier D-1 and worse than many D-II programs. The facilities only made UNLV "catch up" with the upper tier of FBS schools, not surpass them. 

Coaches definitely care about having a program that has access to facilities that's going to help with recruiting and training their players, but what they really care about is their paycheck. No coach is going to accept $500k or $1mill less than what the other school is offering just because we have an awesome stadium or facility.

Would you accept a 30%+ pay-cut at work in exchange for a big, awesome office? No way, give me the dinky office and the cash.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

13 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

I don't think any coach gives a shit about the past history of the program. and even though we have elite facilities now, people have to remember just how horrible UNLV's facilities were prior to the Fertitta FB Complex and Allegiant Stadium....absolute bottom-tier D-1 and worse than many D-II programs. The facilities only made UNLV "catch up" with the upper tier of FBS schools, not surpass them. 

Coaches definitely care about having a program that has access to facilities that's going to help with recruiting and training their players, but what they really care about is their paycheck. No coach is going to accept $500k or $1mill less than what the other school is offering just because we have an awesome stadium or facility.

Would you accept a 30%+ pay-cut at work in exchange for a big, awesome office? No way, give me the dinky office and the cash.

UNLV's facilities have improved immensely, but are they elite? I think Rebel fans are putting too much stock in what playing in Allegiant Stadium will mean. I think there will be a bump in attendance the first year or two just so people can see the stadium at a bargain price, but if UNLV isn't winning, it won't last. The Raiders will be the big draw in town for football in Vegas, not UNLV (or Gorman.....hard to tell which was bigger). 

16 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Was not impressed with Arroyo at his time at Wyoming but that was about 10 years ago.

Care to elaborate what exactly turned you off about him during his 1 season there during the first year of the Christenson era? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Care to elaborate what exactly turned you off about him during his 1 season there during the first year of the Christenson era? 

It was actually Christensen's first 2 years.  In the 2nd year of Arroyo running the offense, Wyoming regressed to a 3-9 team and was 107 out of 120 in the country in scoring while running a hurry up no huddle spread that theoretically should have led to more points.  That year, Wyoming must have led the country in quick 3 and outs that constantly put the defense back on the field within minutes of coming off of it.  Our defensive players got a good workout I guess.

22 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

UNLV's facilities have improved immensely, but are they elite? I think Rebel fans are putting too much stock in what playing in Allegiant Stadium will mean. I think there will be a bump in attendance the first year or two just so people can see the stadium at a bargain price, but if UNLV isn't winning, it won't last. The Raiders will be the big draw in town for football in Vegas, not UNLV (or Gorman.....hard to tell which was bigger). 

Allegiant Stadium isn't elite as a "college atmosphere" venue..if you're one of those guys that's into that kinda thing. But as a football venue it's the most technologically advanced stadium in the world,  and is elite in every sense of the word. UNLV will have access to locker rooms, training/medical equipment, offices, etc in which the $2 billion price-tag spared no expense making top of the line....which would be a boon to any SEC program, let alone a MWC one. 

Fertitta Football Complex isn't top 10% elite...as there are P-5 facilities/clubhouses that are in the $100 mill range. But I would comfortably say its easily in the top 15-20% of FBS for a football-only facility. 

You're preaching to the choir with the Winning is Everything mantra. If UNLV can't strike while the iron is hot with this coaching hire then the program will truly never succeed. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

29 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

I agree with most of that, but from what I heard UNLV is still fairly low on the totem pole. The facilities and stadium are in place, which is nice, but coaches are still skeptical about coming to UNLV. The interest just has not been there.