Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Greta: not about the environment?

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

Ah I read that criticism as more "what the hell do you think is going to happen to economic growth when there are 50 million climactic refugees and droughts make massive swaths of agricultural land unusable". 

Of course climate effects will create agricultural land and make other places more productive.

It is funny how they always stress the negative and never mention the positive.   You would think they are almost purposely lying.  Oh wait.... they are.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

Of course climate effects will create agricultural land and make other places more productive.

It is funny how they always stress the negative and never mention the positive.   You would think they are almost purposely lying.  Oh wait.... they are.

Right, but:

There's more land at the tropics than at high mid-latitudes

Even if we get land 1:1, the disruption caused by crops failing will be greater than increased yields

It will take decades to fully exploit new lands

We have trillions in infrastructure invested in the current system

It may be more or less the same in 500 years, but the next 200 is going to be a rough ride. That's when I and my kids and ?grandkids are alive.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Right, but:

There's more land at the tropics than at high mid-latitudes

Even if we get land 1:1, the disruption caused by crops failing will be greater than increased yields

It will take decades to fully exploit new lands

We have trillions in infrastructure invested in the current system

It may be more or less the same in 500 years, but the next 200 is going to be a rough ride. That's when I and my kids and ?grandkids are alive.

There are also a whole lot of land at lower latitudes that are at high altitudes that will be benefitted by climate change with longer growing seasons.

It might even be a net benefit for the United States when you consider the massive swaths of agricultural land in the midwest that might be able to grow new crops with a longer growing season.

Building infrastructure for new opportunities will spur the economy as well the research and inventions needed to adapt to new conditions.

Those that keep pointing to all the bad are not looking at the opportunities and dare i say it spend too much time listening to the moron media that hasn't the education or experience to even comment on the changes.

You could be growing tomatoes for 9 months of the year in Wyoming in 50 years.  That would more than make up for the loss of small areas of California.

Even if the projections are right and the disaster happens as bad as they say.  It is happening so slowly we will easily adapt.   Adapting to climate change isn't 1/1000 the challenge of colonizing mars and scientists also think that is possible.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:45 PM, Uncle Juan said:

And that is the real reason behind this climate change bullshit. Tearing down capitalism is what it's been about all along.

Walked this one back a bit, eh? Smart move.

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

Sea Ice is still here and is unchanged in the last 12 years and is at a historical average for the last 100 years. Polar bears are fat and happy. Heatwaves are declining since 1930. Droughts are becoming more infrequent since the 1930. Major natural disasters happen less frequently since 1900. Glaciers have ceased retreating in many places. Greenland and Antarctic ice are increasing. There 's literally no evidence that there's a climate crisis.

Poor trolling. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

10 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

He’s not trolling. He believes every bit of the tripe he pecks out on his screen. 

It would be interesting to see where he’s getting his information. 

13 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

There are also a whole lot of land at lower latitudes that are at high altitudes that will be benefitted by climate change with longer growing seasons.

It might even be a net benefit for the United States when you consider the massive swaths of agricultural land in the midwest that might be able to grow new crops with a longer growing season.

Building infrastructure for new opportunities will spur the economy as well the research and inventions needed to adapt to new conditions.

Those that keep pointing to all the bad are not looking at the opportunities and dare i say it spend too much time listening to the moron media that hasn't the education or experience to even comment on the changes.

You could be growing tomatoes for 9 months of the year in Wyoming in 50 years.  That would more than make up for the loss of small areas of California.

Even if the projections are right and the disaster happens as bad as they say.  It is happening so slowly we will easily adapt.   Adapting to climate change isn't 1/1000 the challenge of colonizing mars and scientists also think that is possible.

Come on blues. You know that's not how agriculture works. "Small areas in california" grow what, 60% of our fruit and vegetable crop? For that matter, what do you think happens when there's some gap between "california is unfarmable" and "wyoming actually is farmable"? For that matter, what do you think happens even if that transition is instant? Who is going to recognize it? Who is going to farm that BLM land? How is land 6000 feet above sea level, with alkali salts and poor soil, ever going to be productive?

Blues, re-read my post above. Even if the eventual outcome is global net neutral, getting there will be negative for decades. That is not complex to understand. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 hours ago, Bob said:

Sea Ice is still here and is unchanged in the last 12 years and is at a historical average for the last 100 years. Polar bears are fat and happy. Heatwaves are declining since 1930. Droughts are becoming more infrequent since the 1930. Major natural disasters happen less frequently since 1900. Glaciers have ceased retreating in many places. Greenland and Antarctic ice are increasing. There 's literally no evidence that there's a climate crisis.

DE45AEA2-F42D-4434-B451-4F4EEF09A744.png

20 hours ago, Uncle Juan said:

You may want to go back and read it again. Mug posted the damning passage. The left has been saying this for years, they just haven't been as overt. Now the genie is completely out of the bottle. It's never been about climate change, global warming, or whatever other bullshit catch phrase comes next. It's always been about Marxism.

Right but who gets worked up about what a 16 year old girl thinks?  She’s supposed to be idealistic.   

19 minutes ago, Bob said:

LO fuc.king L. When you want to deceive you cherry pick your start date. Let's see a graph that starts in  1900

MASIEArcticSeaIceExtent_shadow.png

Umm, Bob, go back and look at your post. You’re the one who referenced the last 12 years. 

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

realclimatescience.com. I used to be like you, but the truth set me free. Seriously, read the info on this website. There are plenty of serious environmental problems that we should absolutely address, but putting CO2 into the atmosphere is not one of them.

When a site has as its byline “Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts,” I think I’ll stick with NASA thank you very much. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

That was a Nobel lauriate in Physics who said that so I'm not surprised you'd disregard it. NASA is now a leftist propaganda organization.  

I would think one would be joyous to learn that we're not killing the earth by burning fossil fuels :shrug:

I'm sure a pedophile would be joyous to know that his molestation of a child are viewed as acts of love but unfortunately for him that is a delusion

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

1 minute ago, Bob said:

I'll make sure to bookmark this thread and I'll bring it up in ten years when every single doomsday prediction has failed just like they have for 50 years running. Failed climate prediction models are a tradition like no other. :Clapping:

What are you talking about? there's a lot of doomsday stuff going on. You just choose to insulate your life from it. 

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

Come on blues. You know that's not how agriculture works. "Small areas in california" grow what, 60% of our fruit and vegetable crop? For that matter, what do you think happens when there's some gap between "california is unfarmable" and "wyoming actually is farmable"? For that matter, what do you think happens even if that transition is instant? Who is going to recognize it? Who is going to farm that BLM land? How is land 6000 feet above sea level, with alkali salts and poor soil, ever going to be productive?

Blues, re-read my post above. Even if the eventual outcome is global net neutral, getting there will be negative for decades. That is not complex to understand. 

California won't become unfarmable and i doubt it produces much less.   Longer growing seasons have already changed what we can grow on the high desert in Nevada.  The longer growing seasons have to be helping the midwest too.

6000 feet above sea level is meaningless if the temperatures and growing season are in place.   As far as alkali salts and poor soil you deal with them just like in the myriad of other places that have them.  You use fertilizers, sulfur and modern farming practices.  You dig drains that allow you to leach the alkali out of the top layers of soil as well.   These practices were done 100+ years ago where my farm is and we now have great soil for farming according the feds it is the equal of the best areas i California.

You are buying into the braidwashing.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

That was a Nobel lauriate in Physics who said that so I'm not surprised you'd disregard it. NASA is now a leftist propaganda organization.  

I would think one would be joyous to learn that we're not killing the earth by burning fossil fuels :shrug:

Here’s another quote from the same Nobel lauriate [sic]:

In this age of specialization men who thoroughly know one field are often incompetent to discuss another. 

Just now, bluerules009 said:

California won't become unfarmable and i doubt it produces much less.   Longer growing seasons have already changed what we can grow on the high desert in Nevada.  The longer growing seasons have to be helping the midwest too.

6000 feet above sea level is meaningless if the temperatures and growing season are in place.   As far as alkali salts and poor soil you deal with them just like in the myriad of other places that have them.  You use fertilizers, sulfur and modern farming practices.  You dig drains that allow you to leach the alkali out of the top layers of soil as well.   These practices were done 100+ years ago where my farm is and we now have great soil for farming according the feds it is the equal of the best areas i California.

You are buying into the braidwashing.

Blues, what do you think happens? Why do you think alkali salts accumulate? It comes from the entire landscape. There aren't drains because it's effectively a perched aquifer. What, are you going to drill through 10,000 feet of shale to drain some land? Are you going to put alkali salts into Nebraska's agricultural water? Hell, how do you expect moisture to increase at 6,000 feet?

Seriously, you have not addressed the simple point that disruption will outpace any kind of progression to the mean and that we are going to live through the disruption. You're not addressing it because you have no answer to it.

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Here’s another quote from the same Nobel lauriate [sic]:

In this age of specialization men who thoroughly know one field are often incompetent to discuss another. 

But you trust journalists to tell you everything you need to know!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!