Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

CSU New HC Thread - 1st Candidate in print: Tony Alford

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

AGREE w/all your pts above.

I think the BIGGEST questions no matter whom we hire:

#1 - How many of our underclassmen do we retain?

#2 - How quickly & effectively can they salvage the 2010 Recruiting Class?

Pretty sure the 2010 recruiting class will be unaffected  

Your team is Charmin soft. That's what you need to focus on for your new hire. Bohl brought toughness to Wyo and Rolovich brought toughness to the Bows. You need to find that guy.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Fixed the typo...thx!

Our compliance Dept is REALLY good at getting extra yrs of eligibility...jaja.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Your team is Charmin soft. That's what you need to focus on for your new hire. Bohl brought toughness to Wyo and Rolovich brought toughness to the Bows. You need to find that guy.

At 61...Brady Hoke is a lil' long in the tooth to be an optimal candidate.

¿How do you feel he'd fit in as the HC in Ft Fun?  ¿How was he as a recruiter on El Mesa?

6 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

At 61...Brady Hoke is a lil' long in the tooth to be an optimal candidate.

¿How do you feel he'd fit in as the HC in Ft Fun?  ¿How was he as a recruiter on El Mesa?

I'm a huge Hoke guy. He'd be a good hire for any of the MW schools looking. NM is a no win situation, IMO. LV and FoCo have a lot to offer and I think Hoke would jump at either. A 61yo coach who has already had his "dream job" would offer some stability. His profile is high enough to attract some recruits but as always, it's staff that will make the difference.

Selfishly, I'd like to keep him here and take over when Rocky hangs it up but I think there are some secret Bobby Hauck fans in our administration. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the plan when the day comes.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 hours ago, Headbutt said:

If we don't it won't happen, but from what I understand...yes.  First of all, I think we're looking at $1.5mil or less for a new guy, secondly if Bobo's buyout isn't negotiated down to $3mil from the $5.5 then somebody needs to go.  That three million is reduced by future employment which the terms of the contract compel him to seek.  I'm optimistic that the entire deal with the new coach and the old coach can be reduced to about $2mil per year over three years.  We're not P5, but we can handle that.  The stadium is a separate deal with plenty of cash in reserve to withstand a temporary drop in attendance.

Funny you use the word  "temporary"...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Having the nations 2nd most lucrative naming right deal (behind only U$C), will soften the blow a lil' bit.

I have ZERO inside info, however I'm guessing Ft Collins Billionaire & CSU benefactor Pat Stryker will help the process along.  She is a great woman & good friend to the A-Dept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Stryker

What are the terms of that deal? If I'm Canvas, first thing I'm doing after firing the marketing group who came up with that name, is looking at how to get unhitched from a four time over-leveraged loser...

Just sayin'...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

7 hours ago, RambleOn said:

I think CSU should be looking at guys w/ a HC experience as opposed to going to the asst. coach route again.  My list would consist of guys like Beau Baldwin, Jim McElwain (if he was interested in a return), Brady Hoke, Todd Graham, Mark Helfrich, and Steve Sarkisian.  

If we have to go the Asst. coach route again, I'd put Ricky Rahne, Billy Gonzales, and Morgan Scalley ahead of Alford in terms of qualifications.

Spot on. Well, I’d majorly pass on Graham the douche who was voted the worst HC in FBC.  As we’ve seen it plenty of times, great assistant coaches in the more elite P5’s have turned out to be duds. Tim Deruyter was not only the DC for Texas A&M, but he was promoted to interim HC when what’s his face got canned. And we all know how that story ended at Fresno.

I would go with a successful head coach at the G5 level, preferably in the West. A guy like Brady Hoke is exactly what you need. He knows how to do it, and he’s been humbled greatly with his fall from grace. I’m sure he’s looking forward to the chance of showing that he can win again. However, he may be the ‘coach in waiting’ at SDSU, or maybe it’s as simple as him not wanting to freeze his butt off in FC’s. In the past it’s been reported that BH’s biggest pet peeve is that he has no respect for FB programs that are too cheap to build their indoor practice facilities 100 yards in length. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Rick Neuheisel.  If for no other reason then to get him off CBS Sports so I don't have to listen to him call MWC football games.

Hopefully Thompson got us off that gawd awful CBS Sports Network all together and over to ESPN.  But I doubt it, the man is as worthless as tits on a boar.

I'm going to say the unpopular opinion here: 

Joe Parker has a soft/sweet spot for Mike Bobo and gives him one more season because (and it feels like Bobo's been saying this for a few years now), "I hope to be back...We are really, really close to being really, really good."--Mike Bobo after the Boise loss.

I'm good with these names, but would also add one: Brady Hoke, Todd Graham, Mark Helfrich, and Steve Sarkisian,... I know he tanked Auburn, but, well... HC at Auburn... Gene Chizik.

Tony Alford's name has been dropped a lot, and I get that, but yet another OC/DC from P5? Maybe. What would sweeten the deal is if he could steal away Jeff Hafley, but there's no way that CSU could match Halfey's $950,000 salary (I think Will Friend was our highest ever paid assistant at $540,000). 

Barry Odom walked into a toxic situation at Mizzou so that first 4-8 season is understandable. after that his record is:

7-6 Texas Bowl Loss
8-5 Liberty Bowl Loss
6-6 (fired before bowl)

I could easily see him being a good HC somewhere like CSU plus Mizzou will be paying a big chunk of his salary the next two years.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

16 hours ago, KingBronco said:

How much money will CSU need to fork out to buyout Bobo's contract? In all seriousness, does CSU have the money to pay for Canvas Stadium, buyout Bobo and pony up 2 mil a year for a new coach?

That is why they had to stick with him this year.  They might need to do it again.  They can’t afford to operate the stadium verse a top 20 team let alone fork out another buy out.  I think they are still paying the pedophile that they hired as a men’s basketball coach.

15 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Thank God.  4 future NFL’ers in that class. Garrett Grayson, Crockett Gilmore, Ty Sambraillo, Shaq Barrett

4 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

Boise Fans, How do you think Andy Avalos would do as a HC in the MW? He looks affordable (making $750k at UO) and he has really turned around the Duck’s defense from what I’ve seen. 

Avalos is going to be a very good head coach. He is the most likely lead candidate (assuming Kellen wouldn't take it) to replace Harsin if he were to ever leave. GREAT recruiter, very detailed guy, and players absolutely love him. I believe he was on Hawk's staff at CU, so he is familiar with the area. In one year he turned Oregon's defense into one of the better Ds in the country.