Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

CSU New HC Thread - 1st Candidate in print: Tony Alford

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, let the speculation begin:

Football Scoop (LINK below) says CMBobo is out & former Ram/All-WAC RB during the Earle Bruce era & current (the) Ohio State Asst HC/RBs is the leading candidate for the HC gig in Ft Fun.

Tony has spent the last 11-yrs coaching at Notre Dame (6-yrs) & Ohio State (5-yrs & counting).  Urban Meyers is a BIG cheerleader of Tony's.  He was pushing CSU hard to take Tony before we hired CMBob.

Tony went to the Denver Bronco's 1990 Training Camp, an started his career in coaching in 1993 at Ft Collins HS.

Coach Alford has been a branch in some pretty impressive Coaching Tree's:

Dan McCarney

Steve Kragthorpe

Tricky Dick Neuheisel

Charlie Weis

Brain Kelly

Urban Meyer

¡¡¡ GO STATE !!!

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-colorado-state-where-change-is-coming/

Alford would be ok. However, there is talent on roster to work with. Would rather have a proven former head coach who can hit the ground running.

Important hire for CSU, gave Bobo one more year than they should have. Can't have two bad hires in a row 

Ft Collins Coloradoan article post-game opinion piece (LINKED below) says CMBobo most likely gone.

The most substantial nugget in this editorial article is a reference to the Football Scoop piece linked in the OP.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/11/29/colorado-state-rams-football-likely-fire-coach-mike-bobo/4291289002/

The ball is in AD Joe Parker’s court. I’m guessing we’ll have an announcement of a settlement between CSU and Coach Bobo.  I’m also guessing that Bobo has a new position before CSU hires a new head coach.

4 hours ago, Ram Allegiance said:

Alford would be ok. However, there is talent on roster to work with. Would rather have a proven former head coach who can hit the ground running.

Important hire for CSU, gave Bobo one more year than they should have. Can't have two bad hires in a row 

AGREE w/all your pts above.

I think the BIGGEST questions no matter whom we hire:

#1 - How many of our underclassmen do we retain?

#2 - How quickly & effectively can they salvage the 2020 Recruiting Class?

Just now, Swoll Cracker said:

The ball is in AD Joe Parker’s court. I’m guessing we’ll have an announcement of a settlement between CSU and Coach Bobo.  I’m also guessing that Bobo has a new position before CSU hires a new head coach.

If, in fact CMBobo "...has a new position before CSU hires a new HC," does that effect our liability concerning the buy-out, or will the "settlement" negate in any reduction in the contractual buy-out?

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

If, in fact CMBobo "...has a new position before CSU hires a new HC," does that effect our liability concerning the buy-out, or will the "settlement" negate in any reduction in the contractual buy-out?

Depends on how the settlement is worded.  As it stands now, a new position would reduce the buyout amount.  I'm not sure how the buyout is structured regarding payment over time.

2 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

How much money will CSU need to fork out to buyout Bobo's contract? In all seriousness, does CSU have the money to pay for Canvas Stadium, buyout Bobo and pony up 2 mil a year for a new coach?

If we don't it won't happen, but from what I understand...yes.  First of all, I think we're looking at $1.5mil or less for a new guy, secondly if Bobo's buyout isn't negotiated down to $3mil from the $5.5 then somebody needs to go.  That three million is reduced by future employment which the terms of the contract compel him to seek.  I'm optimistic that the entire deal with the new coach and the old coach can be reduced to about $2mil per year over three years.  We're not P5, but we can handle that.  The stadium is a separate deal with plenty of cash in reserve to withstand a temporary drop in attendance.

1 hour ago, KingBronco said:

How much money will CSU need to fork out to buyout Bobo's contract? In all seriousness, does CSU have the money to pay for Canvas Stadium, buyout Bobo and pony up 2 mil a year for a new coach?

Having the nations 2nd most lucrative naming right deal (behind only U$C), will soften the blow a lil' bit.

I have ZERO inside info, however I'm guessing Ft Collins Billionaire & CSU benefactor Pat Stryker will help the process along.  She is a great woman & good friend to the A-Dept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Stryker

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Having the nations 2nd most lucrative naming right deal (behind only U$C), will soften the blow a lil' bit.

I have ZERO inside info, however I'm guessing Ft Collins Billionaire & CSU benefactor Pat Stryker will help the process along.  She is a great woman & good friend to the A-Dept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Stryker

Dang, nice to have a benefactor worth 3.6 billion. I read the wiki link and she apparently dropped 20 mil on CSU football in 2004. If she kicks in, you guys should have plenty of cash to swing a good coach.

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, let the speculation begin:

Football Scoop (LINK below) says CMBobo is out & former Ram/All-WAC RB during the Earle Bruce era & current (the) Ohio State Asst HC/RBs is the leading candidate for the HC gig in Ft Fun.

Tony has spent the last 11-yrs coaching at Notre Dame (6-yrs) & Ohio State (5-yrs & counting).  Urban Meyers is a BIG cheerleader of Tony's.  He was pushing CSU hard to take Tony before we hired CMBob.

Tony went to the Denver Bronco's 1990 Training Camp, an started his career in coaching in 1993 at Ft Collins HS.

Coach Alford has been a branch in some pretty impressive Coaching Tree's:

Dan McCarney

Steve Kragthorpe

Tricky Dick Neuheisel

Charlie Weis

Brain Kelly

Urban Meyer

¡¡¡ GO STATE !!!

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-colorado-state-where-change-is-coming/

I think CSU should be looking at guys w/ a HC experience as opposed to going to the asst. coach route again.  My list would consist of guys like Beau Baldwin, Jim McElwain (if he was interested in a return), Brady Hoke, Todd Graham, Mark Helfrich, and Steve Sarkisian.  

If we have to go the Asst. coach route again, I'd put Ricky Rahne, Billy Gonzales, and Morgan Scalley ahead of Alford in terms of qualifications.

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Dang, nice to have a benefactor worth 3.6 billion. I read the wiki link and she apparently dropped 20 mil on CSU football in 2004. If she kicks in, you guys should have plenty of cash to swing a good coach.

YES...that $20mm in 2004 was used to put seats in the North End Zone & generally update the facilities at Hughes Stadium.  She's been very generous w/the A-Dept & the university as a whole since then.  I split my time between Alaska & SoCal, so I'm not as connected to the pgm as I'd like to be.  However, I think it's very likely she was the "anonymous" donor that came up the $20mm to permanently name the field at Canvas after Sonny Lubick, like it was previously at Hughes Stadium...

Her Bohemian Foundation (LINK below) has a very diverse list of causes it supports.  In the last few-yrs they have become one of the 4-major sponsor of the syndicate Americana music based radio show eTown, record wkly a some 2-horse town southwest of Ft Collins.

https://www.bohemianfoundation.org/about

1 minute ago, HRam said:

Urban Meyer

¡¡¡ HAHAHA !!!

After 2-months on the AK Pipeline this Summer in the Brooks Range, I've been wrk'g in Hollywood for the for almost-4-months now.  Believe it or not, a LRG majority of '$C fans here think Urban is all but sign, sealed, delivered & bound for South Central LA.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

@RogueStout and @halfmanhalfbronco — Haven’t the folks on Ramnation.com talked about hiring Harsin? Maybe this is the year. 

In all seriousness- Matt Wells name was floated as a candidate when old Gingivitis McElwain left for Florida by some TCSUfs Anything is possible when you have 800,000 alums living in Denver.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.