Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Nevada - The battle for UNLV's Fremont Cannon

There's ample blame to go around for both sides including the fans in the end zone, nevada southern players taunting them did not help matters settle down. What I would have preferred to see was the nevada southern players get away from the Nevada fans and go celebrate with their fans that made the trip, supported them and sat in the cold conditions to root them on. I won't be responding, it's just my opinion and no doubt both sides have strong feelings.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

There are reasons I have never taken my kid to this game ... in Vegas or in Reno. It isn't exactly roses and pumpkin pie in Vegas either. Shit, the closest Nevada players have ever come to getting paid is on the sidelines of Sam Boyd as fans pluck them in the back of the helmet with pennies (this happens in other places, too. Teams playing at Montana could retire early on all the loose change. So much so, that few make a big deal about it). 

The biggest difference between Reno and most places is Mackay Stadium itself. The close proximity to the field in the end zones has always been a recipe for this kind of nonsense. And the fact that the opposing teams essentially have to walk through the crowd to get to their locker room is another. Add a little booze and a ton of emotion, which you really only see against UNLV and Boise, and shit like this happens every now and again.

That all said, the clutching of pearls is always a bit much. As Murray said, none of this was as violent as the game itself.

About 5 years ago a group of us, including my kids, ended up sitting on the other side (I don't know why, must have needed extra seats or something) during the UNR game at Sam Boyd. We were just chilling, not loud or obnoxious, I was on the end, and a guy from Reno decided to share his beer with me from 3 or 4 rows up. Good thing my son didn't see it at all or we might have had our own little brawl, lol, he hadn't been back very long from Iraq. But to their credit, the Reno fans around us told him to knock it off, it wasn't cool.

55 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Arnold has no excuse, no matter what Oblad said or didn't say to taunt him. he wan;t being physically threatened in any way.  

Fauolo's only excuse...maybe...is that he could have been trying to get that guy in the stands to stop attacking a fellow player, and let the record state I am in no way suggesting that was the case. In fact I say it's highly doubtful.

In one of the earlier videos you can hear a fan from about Fauolo's area saying 'you f***ing n****** bitch' he repeats it, but with 'you f--ing p*ssy bitch.' or something like that. Fauolo shouldn't have swung his helmet no matter what, but he couldn't have hit anyone based on the still shot that's posted above, with the security guy pointing upward. Give him a few games to think about it, but don't kick him off the team. If it was his norm to act that way, then yeah, that's a different story.

13 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

About 5 years ago a group of us, including my kids, ended up sitting on the other side (I don't know why, must have needed extra seats or something) during the UNR game at Sam Boyd. We were just chilling, not loud or obnoxious, I was on the end, and a guy from Reno decided to share his beer with me from 3 or 4 rows up. Good thing my son didn't see it at all or we might have had our own little brawl, lol, he hadn't been back very long from Iraq. But to their credit, the Reno fans around us told him to knock it off, it wasn't cool.

In one of the earlier videos you can hear a fan from about Fauolo's area saying 'you f***ing n****** bitch' he repeats it, but with 'you f--ing p*ssy bitch.' or something like that. Fauolo shouldn't have swung his helmet no matter what, but he couldn't have hit anyone based on the still shot that's posted above, with the security guy pointing upward. Give him a few games to think about it, but don't kick him off the team. If it was his norm to act that way, then yeah, that's a different story.

The funny part is, if I can say something is funny in this situation, are those fans calling the UNLV players "pxssies" and "bxitches" etc.  I doubt any of those loser zonies would be talking like that to guys like D-1 college tight ends without their little elevated barrier. Fauolo just cannot do what he did but I hope that helmet swing landed on one of those rejects that was yelling racial slurs at the players.   Might as well make it count.

5 hours ago, mugtang said:

There’s nobody in front of him except Fauolo and another UNLV player but they’re a couple yards deep in the endzone. The fan appears to slip (facilities did a really shitty job of clearing the snow and ice) and you see the fan grab the railing as if to catch himself.  The fan does appear to be talking shit to him though and points at him. 

3F867684-94E2-4978-BA01-5C0C193C49B8.png

Looked like a slip but I think he was standing on the railing but without knowing the previous seconds of the edited video, we don’t know what was going on.

It’s also not the best angle to determine exactly what happened. The video is cut up, for whatever reason, and doesn’t show the previous 10 seconds, I don’t know if the player got hit with something, something was said it was retaliation. Clearly the player was reacting. 

The video does show a number of fans in that section throwing objects at the players. Interesting that Murray isn’t discussing that or asking where the rest of the video is. 

What did the fan do in the previous 10 seconds? I’d like to see the whole video. 

Faulo is getting a suspension, for sure. 

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

BE4-E746-E-2100-4-CD9-BC3-D-8-F4764292-B

The UNR football program is the real clownshow. Imagine losing to a high school coach 3 times. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Beer bottles too. 

All class in Reno. 

An empty plastic bottle, oh my! Smash the nearest person you can get your hands on in the face with a weapon, indeed.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

20 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The clown is denying it on Twitter. 

Guess he doesn’t realize there’s video of it. 

Yeah. Helmet smasher and sucker puncher had best own their actions, apologize, and hope for the best. Excuses will backfire. 

31 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Whatever makes you guys feel tough. :rotflmfao:

Have see the video of Vegas players taking of tape and throwing it at fans? Picking stuff off the ground and throwing it back at fans? It’s out there now if you look for it. 

45 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The clown is denying it on Twitter. 

Guess he doesn’t realize there’s video of it. 

Do you have a link to his twitter?  I don’t follow him and a quick search I can’t find him.  I’m sure if I dig I’ll get there just trying to take the quick way out here. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

38 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

That’s definitely a punch. Never saw that angle. 

It's a good angle. Looks like Oblad said something to Arnold as he was walking by, and Arnold reacted poorly to say the least. Definitely a punch. Inexcusable.