Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Nevada - The battle for UNLV's Fremont Cannon

1 hour ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Chris Murray is definitely a homer. Or a stenographer 

A good beat writer should be just a little bit of a homer.  Murray will often preface the potential bias in his opinions. 

I did not read "may have said something" as him attempting to justify anything, though.

55 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s never been my take. my take is that most often readers mistake their own biases for that of a journalists, which is what you’ve done here. And because of that, they are unable to detect real bias.

Wow. This is an unbelievably arrogant take on your profession. No wonder no one trusts it anymore. 

Thank god we have you journalists that are paragons of virtue to tell us unwashed masses what to think. What would we ever do without your wisdom to guide us? 

5 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Wow. This is an unbelievably arrogant take on your profession. No wonder no one trusts it anymore. 

Thank god we have you journalists that are paragons of virtue to tell us unwashed masses what to think. What would we ever do without your wisdom to guide us? 

It’s not arrogant and it is no longer my profession. Hasn’t been for years. I don’t care if you believe me. But I have tons of experience with this, and I’m 100% right 

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A good beat write should be just a little bit of a homer.  Murray will often potential bias in his opinions. 

I did not read "may have said something" as him attempting to justify anything, though.

OK Inspector please let everyone know when you have this all figured out!

giphy.gif

cerified_Subarus.jpg

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It’s not arrogant and it is no longer my profession. Hasn’t been for years. I don’t care if you believe me. But I have tons of experience with this, and I’m 100% right 

Of course no journalists are biased. They are all motivated by the truth and in no way slant a story for clicks or to lean public opinion the way they want. In no circumstance do their personal feelings enter into how they cover a story. This is what you actually believe?

Lol!!!

I have a ton of experience too. And you are wrong. And I don’t care if you believe me either. 

3 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Of course no journalists are biased. They are all motivated by the truth and in no way slant a story for clicks or to lean public opinion the way they want. In no circumstance do their personal feelings enter into how they cover a story. This is what you actually believe?

Lol!!!

I have a ton of experience too. And you are wrong. And I don’t care if you believe me either. 

I never said journalists aren’t biased. Every human being is biased. I’m saying when you can only see bias against your side, in all likelihood the journalist isn’t the problem. 

51 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A good beat write should be just a little bit of a homer.  Murray will often potential bias in his opinions. 

I actually agree with the bold. His audience is unr fans and they don't want to read or watch constantly critical pieces on the teams. But...in my opinion, he's too personally invested and it comes through on his tweets and writing. 

Still disagree though with the bottom part. He said oblad might have said something and and that "sparked" it, or something like that. He should have said the fight started when Arnold threw the punch. Sure UNLV was taunting but that's not fighting.

38 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

OK Inspector please let everyone know when you have this all figured out!

giphy.gif

Not much to figure out.  Nevada lost a heartbreaking game to a fired HS coach, then acted like a parody of their reputation as a fan base on national T.V.

Glad to see you have calmed down a bit.  Life's too short.

Alright after having a chance to digest this and my delicious dinner to here are my thoughts:

1) I would be shocked if Arnold is charged with assault.  I don’t know what possessed him to lay out Oblad like that but it’s clear he let his emotions get the best of him.  He will definitely be suspended for the bowl game and may even get kicked off the team.  

2) The fans that reached out for the UNLV players need to be permanently banned from attending Wolf Pack games for life, especially the one that took the UNLV player’s helmet and tried to hit him with it.  Phuck that guy. 

3) As for the game, UNLV obviously played for their out going coach, and credit to them and Sanchez for not rolling over when nobody really would’ve blamed them had they done that.  Congrats on the win and here’s to another year of shit talking with next years game being played in your new stadium.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well this was embarrassing. And the post game brawl wasn’t good either. Hopefully the sucker punching bitch gets booted from the team. 

see star wars GIF by Hyper RPG

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not much to figure out.  Nevada lost a heartbreaking game to a fired HS coach, then acted like a parody of their reputation as a fan base on national T.V.

there is almost always more gray than that. I honestly have no idea what happened, but I’m near certain that neither side is completely innocent.

Edit: Also, National TV? You and I define AT&T Sports net differently!

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

That’s never been my take. my take is that most often readers mistake their own biases for that of a journalists, which is what you’ve done here. And because of that, they are unable to detect real bias.

I think that's quite right sometimes.

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I never said journalists aren’t biased. Every human being is biased. I’m saying when you can only see bias against your side, in all likelihood the journalist isn’t the problem. 

I’m not saying Murray is biased against UNLV. I’m saying he is a homer for unr and is not as objective as he could be. I’ve read him for years. Talked to him in the press box and at the t and m. Plenty of other writers say the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I actually agree with the bold. His audience is unr fans and they don't want to read or watch constantly critical pieces on the teams. But...in my opinion, he's too personally invested and it comes through on his tweets and writing. 

Still disagree though with the bottom part. He said oblad might have said something and and that "sparked" it, or something like that. He should have said the fight started when Arnold threw the punch. Sure UNLV was taunting but that's not fighting.

It’s almost like your biases lead you to a certain conclusion.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

there is almost always more gray than that. I honestly have no idea what happened, but I’m near certain that neither side is completely innocent.

Edit: Also, National TV? You and I define AT&T Sports net differently!

Lol, fair regarding the bold.

There is almost more gray than that in most situations. Not sure how much gray there is with a suck punch and fans physically reaching over the rails to assault players, while trash is raining down. I mean what gray could there possibly be, even hypothetically?

1 minute ago, Rebelbacker said:

I’m not saying Murray is biased against UNLV. I’m saying he is a homer for unr and is not as objective as he could be. I’ve read him for years. Talked to him in the press box and at the t and m. Plenty of other writers say the same thing. 

You haven’t talked to him in the press box in any way that would shed light on this topic. He’s not a homer. I’ve known him see he was in college. I kind of thought he was arrogant when I first met him, but I came around on him the longer I’ve known him. He outworks every writer in the conference, especially when he was still at the paper. His coverage is Nevada-centric because that’s his audience. 

Here’s also a little secret about sports journalism: beat writers want their teams to do well. Not because they’re fans, but because it’s more fun to cover a winning team.

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

nothing to with this game today......but hate to break it you ya......all you Boise State fans are condescending snots.

Can call each and every one of you out.

Soupslammed, BSUTop24  (aka the "Perpetual outrag" guy) , Bluetool etc etc.

All snotty all the time.

cerified_Subarus.jpg