Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rudolro

Thanksgiving dinner

31 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I've been wanting to do this, but I just have a Weber kettle and I don't know how to keep the heat going that long. I am sure the spatchcock method would help some. 

Definitely going spatchcock... bird got dry brine last night and is ready to go. The programmable pellet grill has been great for these longer cooks. Feel free to ask me on Friday how it went... lol

2 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

It can get a bit messy and then you have to figure out where to take your oil for recycling.  I stopped using the propane deep fryers and started using electric.  Electric is the way to go.  Make sure it has a drain spot to make it easy to empty if  you should decide to get one.  I've only ever used peanut oil and the smell of it cooking is so good.  If you have friends and family offer to cook several turkeys as it seems like a waste to just do one.  But, this year for me the turkey is going into a new oven that we just bought this year so we have to try it out.

Have a great Thanksgiving.  

That's the thing, I want to try it but I don't really want to buy all the necessary equipment for what will probably be a one time thing.

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

You know another great thing about spatching? It gives you a lot more room in the oven for cooking those sides.

Just a reminder. Use the back, neck, and giblets along with an onion a couple of stalks of celery and carrots. To make a stock for your gravy.

2 cups of water

2 cups of chicken broth

Salt to taste and peppercorns if you have them an a whole garlic.

After a couple of hours strain and your stock is done

Add this to your roux for gravy

The birds are spatchcocked, spine and giblets are being used to make stock at the moment that will probably cook all night long and then be turned into gravy tomorrow. Potatoes are peeled and in the refrigerator ready to be cooked tomorrow. My wife generally handles the turkey by her own choice, and I cook the majority of the sides.

2 hours ago, rudolro said:

Just a reminder. Use the back, neck, and giblets along with an onion a couple of stalks of celery and carrots. To make a stock for your gravy.

2 cups of water

2 cups of chicken broth

Salt to taste and peppercorns if you have them an a whole garlic.

After a couple of hours strain and your stock is done

Add this to your roux for gravy

I'm cooking our stock all night long tonight, and then I'll turn whatever is left with turkey leftovers into turkey soup.

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'm cooking our stock all night long tonight, and then I'll turn whatever is left with turkey leftovers into turkey soup.

Aren't you afraid of overcooking? The longest I've ever cooked stock was 4 hours. It's was like Jell-O after it cooled which was really good.

Just now, rudolro said:

Aren't you afraid of overcooking? The longest I've ever cooked stock was 4 hours. It's was like Jell-O after it cooled which was really good.

Nah, I've cooked stock for 24 hours before... just have to keep it on a super low simmer. 

It's 10am, and my house smells like Thanksgiving already because the stock is still cooking. I tasted it a few minutes ago and holy hell is it good. We're not even having our meal until about 4pm, but at least the house will smell good for the entire day until then. ;)

Deep fried turkey as well as a turkey cooked in the roaster....roast beef for my father in law, giblets boiled and diced to put in the homemade stuffing and the broth to use in the gravy.  Sweet potato casserole, stuffing, corn from our  garden, roasted veggies (squash, sweet potatoes, onion, Brussels sprouts drizzled with olive oil and some butter) a couple of different salads.

My wife made homemade crusts and raspberry apple pie, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. 

I'm so full I didn't even eat a turkey sandwich tonight.  God I'm a glutton!

@mugtang a salivating Homer reaction is needed on this board.