Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Sanchez is out

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

It matters because the Hauck era for the most part was a dud. Can’t have someone that’s never ran a D1 program. We’ve done that with the last 3 HCs now. 

We’re opening a new stadium and need someone that has a track record of success, coached at P5 level, has connections to put together a good staff, can sell tickets. 

Laugh now, but Unlv still has goals of getting into a P5 conference. The basketball and football programs need to be turned around ASAP. 

No one is going to turn around UNLV football in one or two seasons.

At some point, you have to stop looking for the flashy name and just need to trust your AD to make the right hire.

It was probably a lot easier for Knuth to hire Norvell since he'd already hit home runs with Musselman, Jay Johnson, and a few others.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

No one is going to turn around UNLV football in one or two seasons.

At some point, you have to stop looking for the flashy name and just need to trust your AD to make the right hire.

It was probably a lot easier for Knuth to hire Norvell since he'd already hit home runs with Musselman, Jay Johnson, and a few others.

TBH, I don’t think Norvell would be any more successful than Hauck or Sanchez at UNLV. It’s a different animal at UNLV, one where there is zero history and only 3-4 bowl appearances in its history. 

Putrid. 

It takes more than just a good coach to turn things around. What works at Nevada isn’t going to work at UNLV. 

We need someone that has the credibility (think John Robinson) to sell the fans and recruits that UNLV is on the rise. The most successful coach (on the field and 2nd to Sanchez off the field) is John Robinson, his connections and football acumen turned around the program immediately.

Keep in mind, the year before JRob arrived, UNLV was 0-11. First year, started 2-0 and beat Baylor, the buzz was back. Second year, won 8 games, some talk of a top 25, Jason Thomas Heisman hype, SBS upgrades with new press box and suites. Played Wisconsin at home to a fully packed house on national tv (this was before there was multitude of sports channels on tv and online) 

Unfortunately, UNLV administration was a total mess and JRob was hired as AD and take over things that took him away from the football program. Stress got to him, think he had a heart attack and he retired.

Had he been solely focused on FB, been more successful, built off the LV bowl SEC win, and Thomas lived up to the hype following that season, I think you’d see the upgrades the program is getting now, much sooner. 

Bottom line, a coordinator/position coach/ D2 HC/ FCS HC isn’t going to work. You don’t fire Sanchez to bring in someone nobody has heard of. It’s not going to work, it’ll be a disaster. 

We need someone experienced enough at this level, because UNLV’s history is crap and we can’t rely on that to sell tickets or recruits. If we can hire someone that people know that has a good track record at this level, that in conjunction with the new facilities would be a very potent punch on the recruiting trail. 

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

lmao when was the last time a "flashy name" was hired as a Football Coach at UNLV?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner

Part of the problem for UNLV is that their campus is urban, and located in the ghetto.

It's a commuter college....

Compare that to UNR, which is more of a college town.

I do think it hurts UNLV trying to build its athletics programs.  The commuter campus also results in terrible student fan support.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Part of the problem for UNLV is that their campus is urban, and located in the ghetto.

I do think it hurts UNLV trying to build its athletics programs.  The commuter campus also results in terrible student fan support.

Fun fact: ”Reno” is the Northern Paiute word for ghetto.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Fun fact: ”Reno” is the Northern Paiute word for ghetto.

I'm not affiliated with either school, and I'm telling you, Reno (despite being in an inferior town) is better set up for success than UNLV.  

Their campus looks like it has had quadruple the investment.  Much nicer.   It is a college town (students actually live on or near campus, on their own, not at mom and dad's house.  They have much stronger student attendance at their games. 

UNLV has a real problem.  They get like 20 students out to their basketball games.  Maybe 40 out to football games.

It's too bad UNLV is located where it is.  No students want to live in the ghetto.

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

TBH, I don’t think Norvell would be any more successful than Hauck or Sanchez at UNLV. It’s a different animal at UNLV, one where there is zero history and only 3-4 bowl appearances in its history. 

Putrid. 

It takes more than just a good coach to turn things around. What works at Nevada isn’t going to work at UNLV. 

We need someone that has the credibility (think John Robinson) to sell the fans and recruits that UNLV is on the rise. The most successful coach (on the field and 2nd to Sanchez off the field) is John Robinson, his connections and football acumen turned around the program immediately.

Keep in mind, the year before JRob arrived, UNLV was 0-11. First year, started 2-0 and beat Baylor, the buzz was back. Second year, won 8 games, some talk of a top 25, Jason Thomas Heisman hype, SBS upgrades with new press box and suites. Played Wisconsin at home to a fully packed house on national tv (this was before there was multitude of sports channels on tv and online) 

Unfortunately, UNLV administration was a total mess and JRob was hired as AD and take over things that took him away from the football program. Stress got to him, think he had a heart attack and he retired.

Had he been solely focused on FB, been more successful, built off the LV bowl SEC win, and Thomas lived up to the hype following that season, I think you’d see the upgrades the program is getting now, much sooner. 

Bottom line, a coordinator/position coach/ D2 HC/ FCS HC isn’t going to work. You don’t fire Sanchez to bring in someone nobody has heard of. It’s not going to work, it’ll be a disaster. 

We need someone experienced enough at this level, because UNLV’s history is crap and we can’t rely on that to sell tickets or recruits. If we can hire someone that people know that has a good track record at this level, that in conjunction with the new facilities would be a very potent punch on the recruiting trail. 

Please hire Kyle Wittingham.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Like Chris Peterson likes bike paths in Boise. :P

9th island. 

jk, Rolo isn’t going anywhere. 

Rolo has a plan for the program and as he likes to say we are in "Phase 2". I think once his final phase gets achieved he will consider his job complete and probably move on. He said coaching Hawaii isn't about the money and knows it likely won't ever be a $2m job. He considers the islands as a place that helped him be who he is today and wants to give back to the state.

He still has a lot of fixing to do especially with attendance figures, but the vibe around the program is definitely different than when he arrived after Chow.

8 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Vegas is unique but there's a community of people that's been here for generations vs all the transplant so that's only a little true... As far as the culture of the city goes.

I think the AD goes for a coach winning in a smaller program. She will probably over pay like she did for Otzberger

IMG_2730.jpg

My point about the type of people who live in Las Vegas still stands.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Are you posting from 1920? The UNR campus is in just as much of a "ghetto" as UNLV's. Pretty debatable that Reno "is more of a college town." I'd say neither are.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Are you posting from 1920? The UNR campus is in just as much of a "ghetto" as UNLV's. Pretty debatable that Reno "is more of a college town." I'd say neither are.

Disagree.  UNR has a much fancier campus.  If I was a UNLV fan I'd be annoyed.  Clearly the Nevada legislature has spent more on Reno's campus.

Also, Reno has a much larger student population that doesn't "live with Mom and Dad".  Actual students living on their own.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Disagree.  UNR has a much fancier campus.  If I was a UNLV fan I'd be annoyed.  Clearly the Nevada legislature has spent more on Reno's campus.

The campus is fancier. You were discussing the location, not the aesthetics of the campus.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said: