Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Sanchez is out

Clay Helton,  come on out to the desert. 

Although that would literally take UNLV out of the equation in recruiting in December. I’m not sure it’ll be smart to wait for Clay, given that Bohn may give him another year. 

You guys can afford to take a bit of a hit in recruiting this year to get the right guy.  I'm not saying it's Helton, just saying that there's an opportunity for a turning point in your program and it would be smart to put getting the right coach this time around ahead of any recruiting or whatever.  The potential of 30K in the new 70K stadium may not be the greatest promise for the fan experience, but that stadium is a recruiting gem from the player experience.  You can afford to take the hit in December recruiting in exchange for the long run benefits of getting the right coach in place that can sell those facilities.  Mama's have been making new players for centuries.  Get the right coach first.

9 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

He will rake in 600 thousand dollars over the next 2 years to do nothing.  That's a lot of dough.  That should help a little with how he handles a few twitter dorks celebrating his dismissal.

Usually the assistants are effected most.  Families kids etc.  not 600k in their pockets.  Where to go from Unlv.  tough

I don’t see UNLV considering a coordinator, has to be someone of high character (No Sark or Lane Kiffin) and experience as DRF said. Probably looking for a former P5 coach that had a lot of success, just not at the P5 level. Need a great recruiter because we need someone to sell the facilities and new future of UNLV football. 

-Kevin Sumlin would be an interesting option for UNLV. A lot of P5 experience and tremendous success at Houston.  

Given he’s made his millions already and probably getting another cool 10 million from UA, he’s wouldn’t be commanding a giant salary. 

- Taggart, bombed out at FSU but he’s got a track record of turning around programs. Got a giant buyout, may look for a low pressure job where he can build again. Good at recruiting.

- Butch Jones, great recruiter but he’s a questionable gameday coach, he’ll need a solid staff to make this successful. 

11 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I don’t see UNLV considering a coordinator, has to be someone of high character (No Sark or Lane Kiffin) and experience as DRF said. Probably looking for a former P5 coach that had a lot of success, just not at the P5 level. Need a great recruiter because we need someone to sell the facilities and new future of UNLV football. 

-Kevin Sumlin would be an interesting option for UNLV. A lot of P5 experience and tremendous success at Houston.  

Given he’s made his millions already and probably getting another cool 10 million from UA, he’s wouldn’t be commanding a giant salary. 

- Taggart, bombed out at FSU but he’s got a track record of turning around programs. Got a giant buyout, may look for a low pressure job where he can build again. Good at recruiting.

- Butch Jones, great recruiter but he’s a questionable gameday coach, he’ll need a solid staff to make this successful. 

Not sure if you're serious about Sumlin, but he is not leaving Tucson and the PAC-12 for the MWC. Tagger is an interesting option.  I have mentioned Brady Hoke and Greg Schiano. There's another name that I think would work at UNLV. Bob Stitt. He made Colorado School of Mines a D2 power house. He took over Montana when Pfulger was fired. He had all winning season at Missoula, but not to the standards they were used to. So he let him go.  He has a record of 129-76. He's currently in his first season as OC at TX ST. I think this could also be a good and pivotal hire for UNLV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stitt

Sumlin might get canned after the ASU game. If Tucson can pony up the ten million dollar buyout, he’s gone and might be replaced by Graham. 

I don’t think Stitt will get any consideration at all. Nobody in Vegas knows who he is. 

16 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

They had Randall Cunningham and Ikey Woods and they were barely a winning program.

They will never be good.

Kids love shiny things. Kids love Vegas. Now they play in a 2 billion dollar stadium. 

The right coach and a 10 win season will get the sleeping giant rolling.

46 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Kids love shiny things. Kids love Vegas. Now they play in a 2 billion dollar stadium. 

The right coach and a 10 win season will get the sleeping giant rolling.

They will never be good.

Football is basically about community, cooperation and teamwork more than any other sport.  Las Vegas is the antithesis of community and cooperation, it is a city based on vices and taking advantage of your neighbor.  Anyone that thinks Las Vegas is cool is someone you don't want on your football team.

3 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

They will never be good.

Football is basically about community, cooperation and teamwork more than any other sport.  Las Vegas is the antithesis of community and cooperation, it is a city based on vices and taking advantage of your neighbor.  Anyone that thinks Las Vegas is cool is someone you don't want on your football team.

Vegas is unique but there's a community of people that's been here for generations vs all the transplant so that's only a little true... As far as the culture of the city goes.

I think the AD goes for a coach winning in a smaller program. She will probably over pay like she did for Otzberger

IMG_2730.jpg

8 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Sumlin might get canned after the ASU game. If Tucson can pony up the ten million dollar buyout, he’s gone and might be replaced by Graham. 

I don’t think Stitt will get any consideration at all. Nobody in Vegas knows who he is. 

Why do you think that really matters?

Nobody in Reno knew who Jay Norvell was. He's been pretty solid and will probably get a raise and extension this year.

8 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Not sure if you're serious about Sumlin, but he is not leaving Tucson and the PAC-12 for the MWC. Tagger is an interesting option.  I have mentioned Brady Hoke and Greg Schiano. There's another name that I think would work at UNLV. Bob Stitt. He made Colorado School of Mines a D2 power house. He took over Montana when Pfulger was fired. He had all winning season at Missoula, but not to the standards they were used to. So he let him go.  He has a record of 129-76. He's currently in his first season as OC at TX ST. I think this could also be a good and pivotal hire for UNLV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stitt

Stitt couldn't beat Montana State. His teams really weren't that great..they had a high water mark of beating NDSU in Missoula during his first year there, and it was all downhill afterwards. As an OC, I'd take him....but as a HC? Not a chance. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Why do you think that really matters?

Nobody in Reno knew who Jay Norvell was. He's been pretty solid and will probably get a raise and extension this year.

It matters because the Hauck era for the most part was a dud. Can’t have someone that’s never ran a D1 program. We’ve done that with the last 3 HCs now. 

We’re opening a new stadium and need someone that has a track record of success, coached at P5 level, has connections to put together a good staff, can sell tickets. 

Laugh now, but Unlv still has goals of getting into a P5 conference. The basketball and football programs need to be turned around ASAP.