Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Will UNLV ever be good at basketball again?

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

UNLV has a gimmicky approach to everything, not just athletics. And it won’t ever change, because that’s just part of the culture in Vegas. 

Exactly. All glitz but don't look behind the curtain; no substance.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Exactly. All glitz but don't look behind the curtain; no substance.

I think it is more a function of trying to do too much too fast. People in Vegas want to be at step D by skipping B and C. Further, there is an arrogance to Vegas thinking they can do this because they are somehow different. I don't think it is a lack of substance, or even results in a lack of substance, rather just the wrong approach to getting things done.

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

A couple maybe, but not a majority. Not even close. Not agreeing with you does not equal "unknowledgable."

Nowhere in that post did I say that. The post is full of specific points.

You had to make up a point to even disagree.

I rest my case.

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

I think it is more a function of trying to do too much too fast. People in Vegas want to be at step D by skipping B and C. Further, there is an arrogance to Vegas thinking they can do this because they are somehow different. I don't think it is a lack of substance, or even results in a lack of substance, rather just the wrong approach to getting things done.

Yeah, I think this is what I'm calling a "lack of substance". They seem to think Las Vegas is "special"; it's not.

It's just another medium/large city with lots of fancy veneer but really only one major industry.

Regarding UNLV, there's really no long term tradition because UNLV is a relatively young school. My guess is that most of the big time boosters that we're always hearing about, never attended UNLV.

11 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

You do realize youre agreeing  while just saying or implying you disagree. 

You said what we just said, you just made it vague with no details or story.

25 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yeah, I think this is what I'm calling a "lack of substance". They seem to think Las Vegas is "special"; it's not.

It's just another medium/large city with lots of fancy veneer but really only one major industry.

Regarding UNLV, there's really no long term tradition because UNLV is a relatively young school. My guess is that most of the big time boosters that we're always hearing about, never attended UNLV.

Nah bro Vegas is a very unique city.

Also our basketball program is elite and up there with the blue bloods in winning percentage... UNLV is a winning program...

And of course UNLV will be great again (lol) it has so many advantages vs other opportunities... AAU is also nice, as well as all the coaches and players that own property in Southern Nevada.

But DFR was real out of pocket with this coaching search. Why over pay? Like seriously what would make them do that? Also you don't fire a staff that did what they did just to replace them with an unproven group if you're honestly trying to turn the program around quickly. It's kinda of odd. Like is this really what our athletic department is doing?

Just now, PlayersinVegas said:

But DFR was real out of pocket with this coaching search. Why over pay? Like seriously what would make them do that? Also you don't fire a staff that did what they did just to replace them with an unproven group if you're honestly trying to turn the program around quickly. It's kinda of odd. Like is this really what our athletic department is doing?

This is also perplexing to me.  There didn't seem to be any need to pay TJ that much unless she got turned down by so many others that she got desperate to officially land someone.  

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Just now, VincentVegaBond said:

This is also perplexing to me.  There didn't seem to be any need to pay TJ that much unless she got turned down by so many others that she got desperate to officially land someone.  

Or maybe had competition from another school? Also have to give the new coach confidence they won't get shafted after three seasons. Especially at this point in his career with the success he's obtained. Idk I think he was her guy though.

Probably looked at the Jackrabbit's offense as what could represent the "Runnin" Rebels... And she was stalking him even before the MWC tournament last season 👀 

2 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

This. I tried to argue this point. Vegas is a 1000% upgrade from South Dakota, a program that has never had success in the tourney and quite frankly didn’t with TJ.

I’m not saying TJ won’t turn Vegas around, but he doesn’t have much of a blueprint to lean on because he’s never done it...  And with that in mind, why pay like he does? If he starts winning, then throw cash at him. 

2 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Or maybe had competition from another school? Also have to give the new coach confidence they won't get shafted after three seasons. Especially at this point in his career with the success he's obtained. Idk I think he was her guy though.

Probably looked at the Jackrabbit's offense as what could represent the "Runnin" Rebels... And she was stalking him even before the MWC tournament last season 👀 

He could very well have been, but all that Thad Matta Done Deal talk makes me wonder.  Perhaps she genuinely thought Matta or another bigger fish was coming, then publicly said she was going to pay big bucks to the next coach and forced her own hand.  Total speculation on my part but it's an interesting route she took, for sure.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Nowhere in that post did I say that. The post is full of specific points.

You had to make up a point to even disagree.

I rest my case.

My man, I don't know what happened to you, but you are non-stop hostile towards UNLV fans now. You used to only post about the game and program, but now you seem to spend equal time bitching about the fans.

I was disagreeing with your "specific point" that the "majority" of UNLV fans here, on this board, are "unknowledgeable." I offered another potential reason why you may feel that way.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Vegas is special, as every city is special. They all have their unique eccentricities. That's why I disagree that it has a lack of substance. I think what we see is that Vegas (particularly UNLV) has a unique way of trying to do things, that more often than not, does not work. That does not mean the result is a lack of substance. I guess I don't know what you mean by lack of substance. I think you'd be surprised about the boosters. The biggest one (Clif Findlay) did attend UNLV. I know a lot of others who did as well. Keep in mind it is not an old school. We are still only two generations old and most of the Vegas population has been here less than a generation.

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

You do realize youre agreeing  while just saying or implying you disagree. 

You said what we just said, you just made it vague with no details or story.

I was trying to clarify... so no I was not agreeing.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

If I was betting, I’d say Gonzaga will win one eventually, and UNLV will not go to a Final Four (or even an Elite 8) again in my lifetime. While UNLV is still a big deal in its own mind, few outside of Vegas care about the program’s legacy anymore. And I wonder how coaches view the job. The expectations of the fan base are so over the top, and so separated from what the program has been for the last 30 years, that I think it makes it almost impossible to succeed there.

UNLV could be good again, and should be a Mountain West power. But they’re going to have to get out of their own way first.

Exactly. UNLV may be small-time now, but our fans will never stop thinking big time. You think that's a bad thing, but it's not. This isn't f*cking Reno---Las Vegas isn't a town built by small-time thinkers. With the right guy, UNLV has the facilities, recruiting capability, and pedigree to play with the big-boys of college basketball.... and UNLV is not going to give up its dream of being in the Final Four again because a bunch of fans of programs in the MWC WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE tell us we won't. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

Exactly. UNLV may be small-time now, but our fans will never stop thinking big time. You think that's a bad thing, but it's not. This isn't f*cking Reno---Las Vegas isn't a town built by small-time thinkers. With the right guy, UNLV has the facilities, recruiting capability, and pedigree to play with the big-boys of college basketball.... and UNLV is not going to give up its dream of being in the Final Four again because a bunch of fans of programs in the MWC WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE tell us we won't. 

So full of yourselves, which is funny for a program that is an also-ran. You can have those Final Four dreams all you want, but you know, you should probably be more competitive in the league for anyone to care. Maybe win a league title. Hell, you have a tough enough time making the final four in the Mountain West tournament. And I keep hearing about the right guy, but somehow no matter who coaches, it all ends up the same.

What is the common denominator? Answer that, and maybe UNLV can start living up to its promise. Until then, it's just a bunch of delusional fans pretending that its program is still relevant.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I totally agree with with this take. 

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

So full of yourselves, which is funny for a program that is an also-ran. You can have those Final Four dreams all you want, but you know, you should probably be more competitive in the league for anyone to care. Maybe win a league title. Hell, you have a tough enough time making the final four in the Mountain West tournament. And I keep hearing about the right guy, but somehow no matter who coaches, it all ends up the same.

What is the common denominator? Answer that, and maybe UNLV can start living up to its promise. Until then, it's just a bunch of delusional fans pretending that its program is still relevant.

I doubt Rebels18 was even alive in that era. My guess is that he was either very young or still a winkle in dads eye when Tark was winning.

And before someone says it, “ok boomer.” 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I said we were small-time right now in my initial post.--We have no delusions of still being relevant, just expectations of being relevant again. Being competitive in this conference might be the ceiling for UNR but it isn't for UNLV. We're big-time thinkers, you guys are small-time. Its not your fault your school has never even made it past the Sweet-16. That's every program in this conference's ceiling except UNLV. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Yeah, look at what all that methodical program-building and "substance" has gotten UNR sports lmao... nothing but mediocrity

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

27 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Yeah, look at what all that methodical program-building and "substance" has gotten UNR sports lmao... nothing but mediocrity

And here comes the 24-year-old to talk about something that happened 30 years ago. It's great that UNLV won a national championship. It's something that can never be taken away and something Nevada won't accomplish in my lifetime .. and something UNLV won't accomplish in yours.

But in your lifetime, what has all that big talk and big dreams gotten UNLV? Less than mediocrity. Say what you want, but in your lifetime, Nevada has been the better program in basketball and better in football for, well, pretty much forever. 

You say you have such high standards, and won't settle for less. So what does it say that UNLV is consistently outperformed by such a lowly program like Nevada.

56 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

I said we were small-time right now in my initial post.--We have no delusions of still being relevant, just expectations of being relevant again. Being competitive in this conference might be the ceiling for UNR but it isn't for UNLV. We're big-time thinkers, you guys are small-time. Its not your fault your school has never even made it past the Sweet-16. That's every program in this conference's ceiling except UNLV. 

Big dreams. Delusions. Whatever you want to call them. At some point you guys are going to realize that the last 30 years haven't been an aberration. It was the Tark years that were the outliers.