Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Democratic Debate #5

8 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

He really said that?!?

Oh yes he did.

And it might not have even been his most Biden-esque moment of the night. Not ten minutes later while answering a question about appealing to black voters, he claimed he was endorsed by the only black woman ever in the senate...forgetting that Kamala Harris was a few feet to his left. This one’s more forgivable to me, in 6 months everyone will have forgotten about Kamala Harris. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Until someone explains to me how Biden doesn't run up the score in the South, I think he wins the nomination.

I've noticed the oddsmakers have started to consider that too, they now have him and Liz nearly pickem.

The Democrats changed their primary system after 2016. Delegates for each state are meted out out proportionally for anyone who gets above 15% of the vote in every state. So Biden can still win the SEC but not run away with the thing if he underperforms.

Right now the strongest argument for his candidacy is he is the most electable candidate in the field. He’s also lagging in Iowa and New Hampshire. As you know, the primaries affect the ones that follow the week after, and are effected by the momentum of previous ones. So the thinking is Biden gets creamed in the early ones at which point he stops look so electable. Financial support for him craters, the media narrative turns on him in favor of someone else, which causes him to underperform in South Carolina and then South; and his candidacy collapses from there.

At the very least with the way delegates are allocated and the changes made to the superdelegate system (they don’t get a vote in first roll call), everyone is hoping to last until the end and possibly prevailing in a brokered convention.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Democrats changed their primary system after 2016. Delegates for each state are meted out out proportionally for anyone who gets above 15% of the vote in every state. So Biden can still win the SEC but not run away with the thing if he underperforms.

Right now the strongest argument for his candidacy is he is the most electable candidate in the field. He’s also lagging in Iowa and New Hampshire. As you know, the primaries affect the ones the week before, and are effected by the momentum of previous ones. So the thinking is Biden gets creamed in the early ones at which point he stops look so electable. Financial support for him craters, the media narrative turns on him in favor of someone else, which causes him to underperform in South Carolina and then South; and his candidacy collapses from there.

At the very least with the way delegates are allocated and the changes made to the superdelegate system (they don’t get a vote in first roll call), everyone is hoping to last until the end and possibly prevailing in a brokered convention.

If Joe comes in the top three in Iowa and NH, wins South Carolina and NV.  Then sweeps the South.  He will have all the money, and probably Obama's endorsement.  At that point it's over Johnny, regardless of proportional delegate allocation.

25 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

If Joe comes in the top three in Iowa and NH, wins South Carolina and NV.  Then sweeps the South.  He will have all the money, and probably Obama's endorsement.  At that point it's over Johnny, regardless of proportional delegate allocation.

Well yeah, but you can’t run for President without some serious self belief/borderline narcissism. There is a path for Biden’s defeat and they all think they will be the hero of the great political underdog story. Biden is a creaky ass front runner with no enthusiasm behind him. But man did everybody else blow it last night.

11 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Bernie didn't have a phucking job until he was in his forties.  He is a bum.

Actually he held a number of odd jobs and was a freelance writer to get by. 

He did a stint on a kibbutz in Israel, worked as an aide at a psychiatric hospital, taught in a Head Start program, and had a carpentry business with a few other guys in New York. It was called Creative Carpentry, and Rader says that it was accurately named: “They advertised in the Village Voice, but didn’t know much about carpentry. They’d go to the hardware store to buy supplies, and ask the clerk how to do the repairs they’d been hired to do.”

All you really need to know is this, if the Republicans and establishment corporate Democrats don't want Bernie, then that's the guy we vote for. It's really that simple.

They will keep cutting taxes for the wealthy and cutting social programs for the working class. They will continue laundering and bribing and corrupting our Democracy. When you come to a place where a foreign enemy can buy your Pres, you're in trouble.

29 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Actually he held a number of odd jobs and was a freelance writer to get by. 

Fine, I should have said a real job, or steady job.

I didn't know about the faux carpentry business, that's hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Rocket said:

All you really need to know is this, if the Republicans and establishment corporate Democrats don't want Bernie, then that's the guy we vote for. It's really that simple.

They will keep cutting taxes for the wealthy and cutting social programs for the working class. They will continue laundering and bribing and corrupting our Democracy. When you come to a place where a foreign enemy can buy your Pres, you're in trouble.

Those guys wouldn't want Stalin or Hitler either so maybe your thesis statement could use some work

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

50 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Tech and Wall Street will line up behind old Joe after super Tuesday, as long as Joe doesn't say something really dumb and blow it, the corporatists will push him over the top!

I think Biden is a fairly weak elderly candidate, but I like his chances agains the🍊 tweeter in a general election

11 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I don’t think anybody really stood out as having a night that will lead to any meaningful movement in the polls. 

I think that’s probably right. Nobody screwed up badly enough to lose supporters.

I didn’t care much for Warren dodging the question about whether the Louisiana Governor can be in favor of abortion restrictions and still be a Democrat. How hard is it to say that nobody has to agree on 100% of the issues when you’re literally on stage with nine other people that don’t agree on everything?

The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

50 minutes ago, Rocket said:

I asked before but don't believe you answered. Bernie won't be the nominee, will you still vote?

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Will Tulsi run 3rd party? I've seen that on twitter. Imo she could pull votes from both sides. 

You need money or some semblance of a party infrastructure to get on the ballot. She has neither.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Not if it is a Corporatist!

I honestly think that combatting this line of thinking is Yang’s whole reason for staying in. He knows he is going to lose, but he wants to show people most rich successful people aren’t villains that are only out to screw people.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

I asked before but don't believe you answered. Bernie won't be the nominee, will you still vote?

For every Bernie supporter that wouldn't vote for Biden or Pete there is a supporter of those two that wouldn’t vote for Bernie.